Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone-

Simple story simply- dropped bike at about 10-15 mph while hitting a it of sand a gravel spilled out into the road- turning onto a turnabout from a main route that is.

slid maybe 5 feet along with me- a couple small cracks in the right fairing, ripped off right front blinker, scratched up fairing pretty good, and I thought that was the extent of it, until I started riding home

Immediately noticed the bike was constantly pulling to the right, and basically noticed if looking straight down from my windscreen to the front wheel cowling, the wheel is off to the left a bit even when the handlebars I pointed straight-

This crash was not a hard one at all, so it would be tough to suspect that I bent my forks or something nuts like that. I was wondering what you think it is and what I could do to test it out to confirm that is what it is.

I maybe suspected wheel balancing? or front end alignment? I am not sure, but I want to get my puppy back on the road.

Thanks a lot :)

·
Registered
5,695 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spoophy.. You are a god on descriptions and figuring out how to fix things via reading problems. I followed the guide and there was an immediate improvement, but it still was pulling a tiny tiny tiny!!! Bit.. I decided to go bring the bike down yo my local shop and the owner told me he'd take it for a ride today and let me know if maybe the little extra pull is something that can be tweaked. Thanks so much though, saved mr alot of time, money, and the pride of fixing it by myself! :)

btw- did Felix ever come on down to the states? Where is loser?

Thanks again man, I am confident the shop owner will tweak it a little more and make sure I don't need rotation or balance on the front. Gosh I love this forum.

Btw guys, I do some vlogs on my bike now and then, URL is posted below. Check me out and subscribe, comment, etz!

There is also a video of the bike after the spill on there!

http://www.youtube.com/grandori2

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Delta107 said:
Welcome back Blackout!

Glad your ok!
thanks delta- I am ok, hairline fracture in my thigh and a little swelling was all that came of it, so I am vert fortunate.

By the wat, the link I posted up top wot work, basically my YouTube name is grandori2 so just input that and search if you'd like-

thanks again

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
You're welcome Blackout. Don't stay away so long this time round, eh? I think it's still pulling because the axle put a small indent in the bottom of the forks - being that it got tweaked, and is prone to get out of alignment with a quickness. I've fixed this before by going 20ft/lbs over the recommended torque setting in the past... I wouldn't necessarily recommend it though....

Also, keep in mind there are other things that make you perceive it's riding crooked, but it actually isn't... For instance, if the handlebars are bent just a wee bit, causing one of your arms to bend more than the other, you try and straighten out your arm and equalize them, which causes you to turn the wheel. So you feel comfortable, and the bike feel horrible, but it's not the front end alignment, it's the handlebars.... Also, on a slightly related note, I've found when I ride with my wallet in my back pocket, the bike wants to turn right all the time. I take it out, and the bike rides straight... I guess just that little bit of lift on my right cheek messes up the balance... :p

Felix is still coming. The Loser is still in the operation ward. Getting close now...

·
Registered
79 Posts
hey! Yeah I just had this problem o.o

my handlebars were made a bit crooked so I muscled em back, didn't have to take it anyplace thankkkkkkfully <3.

so what kind of camera set up do you have in these videos?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sharrokor said:
hey! Yeah I just had this problem o.o

my handlebars were made a bit crooked so I muscled em back, didn't have to take it anyplace thankkkkkkfully <3.

so what kind of camera set up do you have in these videos?
it is a GoPro HD Hero - awesome camera, capable of 720p or 1080p, you can playback video on any television in HD, and the sound is also from the camera as well. I originally bought it for some of the trips I have been on which it worked great for, but vlogging now and then is fun.

And spooph, thanks a lot :) I do ride with my wallet in my back pocket quite often, but I found the problem which you also mentioned- he gave it back to me at no charge, told me (surprisingly enough) the LEFT handle bar is very slightly bent, making me think that the handlebars are turned a bit when really they are dead on. Also the plastics of the front end are a little bit out of place due to the smash, he said if I take them off and replace some bolts and also little plastic thingies that are in some of the fairings, I will not feel as if it looks crooked one bit. Besides that he said it rides straight as an arrow :)

Sooo.. total cost of repair, 40$ for a new blinker -.-

not bad for a huge learning experience though!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
from bad to good news. glad it is all good.

Spooph has millions in his wallet so that is why it pulls...

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
nah spooph probably has his number printed on a thousand business cards for handing out to the ladies when they ask for a date.

blackout, have you done much to help improve the audio? some of your videos the audio is a looot better than others it seems like

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sharrokor said:
nah spooph probably has his number printed on a thousand business cards for handing out to the ladies when they ask for a date.

blackout, have you done much to help improve the audio? some of your videos the audio is a looot better than others it seems like
I am not even kidding here, I have thought the same thing so many times. The reason I have come to believe is that many of the more popular vloggers (13mordeth etc.) use a separate audio recorder for their voice and helmet mount the camera. The gopro HD is so small though and has GREAT audio, so it velcros right to the front of my helmet on the inside, and I can still get the windscreen down and have nice visibility at no cost. It really is worth every penny.. that is why rebelyell, svengalie, and some other very popular vloggers have recently started using it. I do proclaim, I was first with it ;-/ had for about 3 months now!

If you are thinking of getting a camera, I HIGHLY suggest the GoPro Hero HD. They also have a regular non-hd one for 100$ less, but I have heard the difference is phenomenal on both audio and video quality, regardless of the set resolution.

FELIX buddy- nice to hear from you. About me, I had posted a bit about my damages- a hairline fracture on my right leg up on my thigh along with a bit of internal bleeding in my thigh down to my kneecap/petella as well. Only about three and a half hours in the ER, but it is likely because I went into work an hour after the crash (before the swelling) limping around on it for four hours until I nearly passed out (everyone started shrieking how white as a ghost I was and sweaty).

Like I said though, I am happy that my gear protected me (helmet had hit a rock and taken a nice chunk out of the windscreen and multiple scratches, knuckles on gloves skinned off a layer of the foam but are still in good shape, right shoulder pad of my alpinestars bionic 2 had very deep scratch marks in it and a couple small pebbles stuck directly into the very strong plastic..

To be completely honest, this is the exact seconds before and after the spill that I remember clearly-

*Takes tight turn around bend, just passing a diamond 'right road approaching' yellow sign, so downshifted to third*

La la la, la la la

*Trees and brush block the view of the actual road, but I do see the begnning of the large, blue sign reading Diamond Match Road on the right*

Ooooo perfect!

*Downshifts to second and starts commiting to turn around the bend, as gravel/dirt road comes into clear view with a pickup truck behind me tailing very close and no time to bail safely, at least with my amount of skill and reaction time, or lack there of due to being a new rider*

Oh my g-

*Tries to keep steering straight as possible, tunnel vision, adrenaline pumps through and I am focused on trying to find the thin piece of concrete that was about 3 yards long to try and brake a bit on*

*Wheel rolls over a larger rock and straight into a 3" gravel and dirt hole, surprising force rips the steering to the left, effectively bringing me down in a very quick manner to the right*

*As head hits initially against the dirt and gravel, I am jolted and do not remember sliding at all, until I come to a hard smack to the head as the larger rocks lining the turn about (my whole goal in this turn was to turn around on the route and start heading home for work) stop me in an abrupt manner*

*stay still for a few moments, nothing hurts, leg is numb, this part is a bit fuzzy but I do remember opening up my windscreen and spitting.. I am not sure why I did this*

*I sit on my knees for about twenty seconds, then I finally come back from lala land and realize there is a public park a little up and to the left and I see a few of the men running over to me*

*SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME*

"No im fine, really im fine, yes I know it was quite a flop, yes I lost it on the sand, No i didnt see the road was a goddamn dirt road, but thanks for rubbing it in.... jerk ... thanks for the help and concern though*

After convincing them I was ok, I got myself together for another five minutes an while I let my engine unflood I started up a vlog, which I dissapointedly did not get the crash on.

Mkkkkkkkk.

·
Registered
79 Posts
'damn reckless bikers!!' >.> sad days man.

so you velcro the cam to the inside of your helmet? the dimensions are 1.6" x 2.4" x 1.2" do you find that its too 'depthy' for that? the lens looks like it protrudes. I was looking at http://exilim.casio.com/products_exfs10.shtml keyword : 3.8"(W) x 2.3"(H) x .6"(D)
and found a price at amazon for about 140~. also with the .6" depth the lense also looks like it does nooot protrude.

I don't need super quality because upload will murder anything I capture (don't want to wait 7 hours to upload a 4 min movie). I really care about comfort (visibility), voice audio, and price.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sharrokor said:
'damn reckless bikers!!' >.> sad days man.

so you velcro the cam to the inside of your helmet? the dimensions are 1.6" x 2.4" x 1.2" do you find that its too 'depthy' for that? the lens looks like it protrudes. I was looking at http://exilim.casio.com/products_exfs10.shtml keyword : 3.8"(W) x 2.3"(H) x .6"(D)
and found a price at amazon for about 140~. also with the .6" depth the lense also looks like it does nooot protrude.

I don't need super quality because upload will murder anything I capture (don't want to wait 7 hours to upload a 4 min movie). I really care about comfort (visibility), voice audio, and price.
to be quite honest, it used to gently press up against my nose in the winter when I had to wear a baklava (s?) under my helmet, likely due to the wide lens and deeper personality of the camera, but it still remains a very small light camera. It no longer presses On my nose with the windscreen completly shut (hjc-cl-sp size large) and a single piece of Velcro holds it firmly in place. Doesn't limit my vision in any drastic way, I can read all my guages and see my rear views fine as well. I do suspect this could vary by helmet brand and size plus shape of your face.

Short answer- I do wish it could be a little skinnier, but after moving things around and getting it to sit in the sweet spot, it works great for blogging audio and coupled with great picture.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have an hjc cl-15, its a medium. Nice helmet... good to know it might fit in there. I'm gonna see if I can find any comparison vidoes for the HD and non-HD versions

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Blackout, you remember about that crash than I remember about any of mine... :p I guess that's why I keep crashing, eh? Sounds like one hell of a ride. Glad to hear you're OK, and glad for the gear-testimony...

ALso just thought of something else you might want to check - remove the handlebars and measure if either of the forks are higher than the other. One might have gotten shoved up in the triple clamps, causing some very minor mal-adjustment. Haven't had a chance to check out the videos yet, but will soon. I also have a GO-Pro wide, but not he HD... Haven't tried mounting it in the helmet yet. Will do soon.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would agree sharrokor, but on youtube it doesn't matter much. I would never go past the 460p option on anyones video for the sake of a smooth connection, the HD on youtube barely ever does justice of the true HD quality the go pro will put out, but nonetheless you hear the audio for yourself, it is great.

BTW everyone, since I have been gone the last few months, I updated my list of mods. Maybe I should update a picture as well :) it has been awhile

HMF Slip-On Exhaust: Black Base/Polished Euro Tip
Targa Fender Eliminator
Braided Brake Lines
Seat Cowl
Shogun Sliders - In process of being installed
ZG Double Bubble: Black/Dark Smoke
Wheel Stripes: Silver 1/8th, Red 1/4th
DynoJet Kit Stage 2 - Currently in process of being installed
Brake Light Modulator

Now I stand happy enough with my bike, I do not think any more upgrades will take place unless I do the whole klein carbs (seems silly unless I was maybe trying to race) and a paint job to add some color, that would be about it. But I am very happy with her, and in no rush to trade in for a bigger engine anytime soon!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts