Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... so my name is Nacho, I'm from Uruguay (which is that little rock south of Brazil and east of Argentina), and I just got a second hand 2008 Ninja 250R, with 19k miles on the clock, for the amazingly cheap sum of.... wait for it.... wait for it.... 6500 USD... yep I know... that's a LOT you might be thinking... but down here that was actually a pretty good deal, since they don't go any lower than 7k USD... so mine was a good deal, and before you wonder, they are 8950 USD brand new, and we don't even get the FI model... :nonono:

I know... taxes here are incredibly high for this kind of bikes, and the second hand value of big bikes is massive! (and yes, the ninja 250 is considered here as the smalles of big bikes, but a big bike non the less). Like for instance, a 2004 CBR 600 RR with lets say 25k miles on it, is still 17k USD... ok, you can get up from the floor now :)

So anyway, I got this bike 'cos I read that it was a good commuter, I live 25 miles from work so I do enjoy it every single day, and in 8 weeks I already added 1800 miles to that clock :). What can I say... I enjoy riding, the weather here is mainly fantastic this time of year, and I ride mainly on the coast side we call "Rambla" which is a very long road with the city on one side, and 30 miles of beach on the other.... so it's not bad at all...

here are some pics of a little trip into the country I did back when I got it a few weeks ago.

I think it's an amazing bike, and altough I know it's not worth all that money, it is here, so... you either pay the price, or you shut up... :)

I come from the Dirt bike world, always a Kawi fan, in fact my last build was a supermoto conversion of a Kawasaki KDX 250 '94 to supermoto... and that's when I got the bug for the tarmac riding... and now I can't get enough of it!

This is the gear that I'm using (please do keep in mind that good gear is VERY difficult to come by here, and when you do find good gear it costs a small fortune, I just clarify before anyone says it's not good enough or some :))

This jacket I bought in a trip to Scotland where my brother lives, I paid 140 GBP for it, and it was the single best purchase of my life, considering that the same jacket here was 900 USD and only trough back order (30 days) and paying half in advanced....

that's my new helmet, it's an HJC CL-ST, again, a total rip-off and not the best, but it's better than average down here.

Gloves are pretty decent, I like them...

All-in-all I'm very happy with the bike and how it runs... It might not be the best bike in the world, but it's faster than almost anything on the road to 60, and it's very economic on gas, which is good when you plan on doing 1 - 2k miles a month...

There are a few good things about living down here, for instance, you can speed all you want to, and if you can pay for the tickets (when ever they give you one which is not very often) you can speed every single day... meaning that we don't get a points system, we don't get anything, you can speed today, get a fine, pay for it, speed again tomorrow, etc... you get the point. The othe good thing is, 0 regulations on noise, tyre types, engine mods, or any of that crap... so as long as I have a drivers license, and the VIN number is correct with the bikes papers, you can do pretty much anything you want to it... run it on slicks with the loudest exhaust on the street with full nitrous if you want to... no one's gonna give you grief about it... police might even want to stop you to admire the bike, I'm not saying with this that I do speed all day long, or that I run on slicks or any of that.... I'm just stating that you could (ufff.... a bit of a disclaimer there). Also another good thing... since there are not many big bikes down here, riding a Ninja 250R give you almost the same street cred as a zx10, or an R1, most people cannot tell the difference, and it works with the ladies too! :). Just so you get an idea, I did get caught speeding, I was doing about 90 on a 30 zone... I got a ticket for 120 USD, If I get caught again, it will be the same 120 USD....

So good weather, nice bike, weak rules, cheap tickets, and cool cops... what's the bad part then?

Well you read some of it already:
- very expensive bikes.... VERY expensive... a brand new ZX10 is 28k USD
- very scarce availability of after-market parts like DynoJets or exhausts
- you can import your own parts, but you get anything between 100 and 350 % impor tax. so forget about that full Yashi exhaust system, that could cost you 4k USD to get here....
- very expensive servicing stuff, like tyres for instance, the back tyre is about 200 USD for a reagular non racing tyre... just a good old Pirelli sport demon or something like that...

So yeah... you can enjoy it but it comes with a hefty price tag...

the only reason I brought all the pricing ranting is just so the next time you guys feel like ranting about a part taking longer than 2 days to deliver, remember, you are all spoiled :) I mean that in a good way... you can buy a second hand 08 R6 for less that 4 grand, you can mail order anything for 2 bucks 50.... you get every single part you need delivered to your home if you want to.... gear is cheap over there, and you have racetracks to go to if you feel like your tail is on fire... we don't have track days here, only oficial (and very very expensive) racing, so if you wanna go fast, you have to do it on the roads (but then again we all drive like crazy here, and it sort of evens out like that). So DO NOT COMPLAINT!!!!

:) I hope no one fell asleep... and if you did, sorry!

Cheers everyone!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hola!

Welcome to the site and thanks for the very descriptive introduction. In Australia we feel similar pain in regards to pricing (but not as bad as you guys as it turns out).

I'm a little bit jealous of your speeding and modding policies though. As long as there aren't too many jokers out there with dodgy bikes doing crazy speeds near schools etc.

What mods do you have planned for the bike?

·
Registered
420 Posts
haha, i found this post humorous. very nice bike and nice pictures, sorry its so expensive. your gear looks good, and like always i love the wheel striping!

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Welcome Dude and thanks for the great Intro!!
Great seeing some pics of your gear as well, nice stuff!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey guys! thanks for the quick reply, this seems to be a very active forum... good! CoinSlot, regarding mods, I might be getting a DynoJet imported, and then I have a mate that fabricates custom exhausts and he's very good at what he does....like VERY good... check this pipe from my last build... he made that by hand to meet the carb specs I used:

so basically I'm having him do a special pipe for me after I get the DynoJet so everything works in tune...

I also ordered a few stuff on ebay (everything below 50 bucks or I get killed on taxes :p) like a pair of aluminun clutch and brake levers... I'm also planing a big graphics change... since I'm a graphic designer and I have access to a cutting plotter.... I did the graphics on all of my bikes...

for example:

so hopefully I'll find some time to do that as well... But after that I don't think I'll be getting much more stuff done... I also have to hold on to every original part since resell value here goes up if the bike is kept original, or at least sold looking original...

We do get a crack head or two doing some stupid thing on the road, but we "take care" of them fairly often... like people with "serious" bikes always try and protect the name of bikers, and if we have to sort them out... we do.... :)

czsummy thanks for you kind words, I think you're refering to the fender elimination, that was done by the previous owner, and it was an OK job... :) i think it looks great without the huge fender hanging from it's tale....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey Zandit mate! thank you!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ahahahaha I'm glad you liked it mate.... it was a fun build! I sold it last year... that thing was a beast, I'm telling you... modded tranny, smaller wheels, it didn't go very fast, but it pulled wheeles in 4th gear like a baby.... and it could destroy a back tyre in 2 seconds in 5th gear.... it was brutal! also... the life span of that piston was about 30 hs or so :( not that good.... but I punished it like the beast she was, and she liked it :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hi Nacho, welcome to the forum. Great intro but for the price you're paying for some of you stuff it may be cheaper to fly to the US, buy what you need and ride it back! lol, j/k of course. :)

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Now this is an intro! Glad to have you here Nacho! Your English is fantastic! Well done. You're not part of a military or diplomatic family, are you? And yes, feel free to share as many pictures of your country as you have energy for. Uruguay always gets forgotten, but I've heard of some spectacular scenery there. How's the culture? Lol, you don't have to answer all the questions right now, in say, the form of a book, I'm sure we'll cover them as your time here with us increases. So, indeed, a very warm welcome!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey spooph! I wish I was a diplomat relative or something, that way I could import a used or new bike with no taxes applied to it... but no... I just learned English the hard way, watching top gear :)... actually I did study when I was a child, but my current English has more to do with Jeremy Clarkson than with my English teacher...

You are correct sir... we do have some amazing photo backdrops! mostly, we get a lot of fantastic beaches, and lots of good ehm, how to put it... human scenery perhaps? :) you catch my drift!

I'll upload more pics as soon as I can take some... but for now, I'll leave it at that... thank for all your kind words!! cheers!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if you wanna see some pics... here ya go...

these are some I took a few month ago, travelling with my GF, not in the bike though... in that CR-V (not mine BTW... I borrowed it from a friend)

Hope you guys like them, it is a fantastic place to live in, and to answer your question spooph, it's a very modern culture, even though the economy is not fantastic right now, we are only a bit over 3M people... and almost 30% of people speak 2 languages, and we have the highest index of literacy of almost all Latin America (excluding Trinidad y Tobago) ... which is good... it is a latin culture tough... so a lot of trying to outsmart everyone else... all the time...

I have a Brother living in Scotland, and that culture is very different, no one tries to scam anybody, streets are mainly clean, people mainly sleep with their doors unlocked (at least where he lives)... down here you don't do that unless you're in a far in-land town... like country town... in a big city it's a lot more hostile... having said that, our country is THE safest country in the hole of south and central america... people come for vacation here every year for that same reason, we don't get earthquakes, we don't get tornadoes, no twisters, no tsunamis... so on that side, really safe.... also, we don't suffer from paparazzis, so a lot of Hollywood stars come down here in the summer 'cos they know no-one will approach them even though we recognize them... this is NOT Argentina... we don't get those awful kidnappings and stuff... never have... hopefully never will...

Those photos were shot in a vacation town called Punta del Este.... that gets wild in the summer, like properly full on party... Miami style... LA style...

well...I don't wanna bore you anymore guys... if you want to know anything, just ask... :) I will upload more pics of the bikes after I mod it a lil... cheers!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually, the first three are HDR photos, so 3 pictures with dif exposure values, then mixed in Photomatix Pro and tone mapped to get the HDR... not as hard as it sounds... and the last one has my standard post-processing, which is just some contrast adjustment and some vignetting... but not much more... the last one obviously is a long exposure photo, with the camera on the roof of the CR-V.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
fantastic, and thanks for answering the post-processing questions. I love HDR/tone mapping, such a cool effect. Have you played with light painting much? I'm currently knee deep in a project but am having a hard time bringing the various images together in GIMP....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Racer X!!! Much appreciated!

spooph, I have played a bit with it... don't have anything up.... oh wait, I think I do have one....

it's not very fancy but it's one of my first attempts... I now have a much better camera... and a few laser pointers, I'll give it a go later and upload some pics.... maybe I'll try light-painting with my tail lights :).... uhhh..... brain-fart! I gotta do that now.... ok... As soon I get the bike back (in the shop at the moment) I'll try some light-painting with my break lights.... if I don't write again, well.... you know what happened :)

to you issue mate... I haven't used GIMP in ages, so I'm not much help there, but if you need anything, Corel Photo-Paint or Adobe Photoshop CS5.... count me in! I'm not the best when it comes to bitmap editing but I do know a thing or two... I do shine a bit more on the vector side of things, illustrator and Corel Draw... but anything I can do to help let me know!

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts