Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys-

I haven't been around for quite a while due to school and family related issues. I miss all of you guys alot, and my last final is on Friday!

To the chase- two days ago I was in an accident in which the left side of my bike was torn apart, due to a stupid decision to allow a girl friend of mine practice on my 250R a's hers is in the process of being delivered. She was hesitant but I idiotically insisted, which led to the accident. Every single part on the left side of my bike is cracked, all the fairings and tank dented. Handlebar bent, gear shifter significantly bent, and most everything else on the side destroyed, mirrors cracked right off as well a's fender eliminator bracket and solo sear cowl/tailight also destroyed.

I am lucky in the fact I insisted she wore full leathers and gear, which led to her only suffering a broken nose, knot above her eye, and a sore back and neck with no permanent damage done (I insisted she go to a hospital, too).

Basically, it leaves me with no real transportation, no way to file a claim (no accidental/full coverage through progressive) and no funds to get it street readp'!? I'm HORRIBLE!" to all my buddies on here.

Let this hard lesson learned be a warning to all- don't let anyone ride your machine unless you are completely unaffected in the event of an accident, new rider mistake or veteran rider bad day.

-Black

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Well that sucks Black!!!

Was she wearing a helmet? Maybe she will help pay for the bike. or better yet give hers to you.

I would get an insurance quote though? Sounds like a lot of damage.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Poor blacky (the bike). Go get the shotgun and put her out of her misery.

Yet another reason you should learn to ride on your OWN bike. She should give you her bike when it arrives. That sounds fair.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
suck to hear! :(

Me and my friends always ride each others bike with a rule...
If you bin it you buy it.

I know it might be horrible for you to ask for money. But surely she would want to cover some of your costs as she did afterall,crash it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone!

Thanks for support guys- I do feel horrible to ask her for money as it was entirely my idea (I don't make excuses after my ideas go horribly wrong) and I feel she paid a hard price of her pretty little face getting smashed around inside her helmet (Arai) which is ruined, literally cracked and smashed into a square!

She did offer to help out with the expenses, but I am afraid she doesn't understand fifty bucks might pay for my mirrors at best.

Dude, that blows!

So what parts do you need to get it road worthy?

Felix
Tell me 'bout it 'flixy. I have checked it out all day and from what I can conclude in my limited knowledge and sadly optimistic view:

1) New Mirrors 35$ - 45$ (Likely going to get bar end mirrors as I will pull off all the plastics and make her a street fighter until I can afford fairings)

2) Gear Shifter (Haven't looked up the price for this- linkage is fantastically still in good shape)

3) Front signals 20$ - 30$, although the ones on were 100$ flushmounts :-/

4) Windscreen 40$ - 60$ (The ZG-DB is in pieces)

5) Tailight (Ouch!) Fender Eliminator, and some bending of the back sub-frame of tail-end - Likely around 150$ - 200$

6) Left Handle bar (40$-60$)

7) Fairings.. ALL OF THEM- For CCC Ebay, around 500-600$.. of course this isn't necessary to make it road ready, but it likely was 1200$ worth of heavy duty OEM fiberglass completely destroyed.

8) A thorough check at my local shop to ensure there is no twisted forks, bent frame, etc. as well as internal damage I cannot see, hear, or feel right now. (100$ - 150$)

9) Dent in gas tank- may be able to be suction cupped out, may need a new tank.. was from her knee hitting it as she did a superman over the handlebars. *20$ - 100$*

So..

road ready?

385$ - 465$, Approx.

.. to have it near to where it was before the accident with all of the modifications, special parts, etc?

$1165 - $500,000.00 (for funding of a fully functional time-machine, if I want to go the expensive route) :facepalm:

If anyone has any parts they think would be useful to me at a cutrate/free that I could have/paypal, please PM me or post in the thread! And hey.. where is Delta? Darkhorse? MOM?!??!?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Btw- hi d, hi dark, hi flix, hi met, ni navy, ntmy, hi spoophy, hi zartan, hi zandit, kurt, travisty, auda, coin, ghost, and whoever else whom i may have forgotten! Missed you all! Caps!

·
Registered
121 Posts
ouchhh!!!! thank god the girl is OK.. u can normally always fix a broken machine but life, nothing can replace..

hopefully u get along with reviving your machine...

cheers!

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Not good to hear Blackout, hopefully something will come your way and makes things easier.
I wish I had some spares available for you, but most of the stuff I changed out on the 250R was broken already in some way. The exhaust we destroyed creating the GSXR setup anyway!

Chin up dude!

·
Registered
379 Posts
When I first read that you let her practice riding your bike, I thought it was just 20 - 30km/h up to the end of your street and back. You know, really slow and careful because she's not really that confident. But with all the damage she did to both herself and the bike, it sounds like she must have been moving!

Good luck with everything. Just tell your insurance company that you were the one riding. ;)

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Sound like she had a good beating, at least she had an arai on though!

pics of the damage of the bike and the face please blackout :p

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
+1 for pics.
Sorry to hear your crash story, really bad circumstances. This may be the opportunity to build a pretty slick streetfighter though. Even on a budget, you could make the remains of that Ninja look pretty bad ass.
Good luck.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Indeed!

First, welcome back! We missed you too dude. Hopefully you'll stick around over the summer, at least, eh?

Second, sorry to hear about the situation! Glad she walked away. My unsolicited opinion: She has enough expenses as it is, and from what you said - having been the main instigator behind her riding the bike, I think you should just bare the brunt of the costs.... Sorry to say, I don't mean to come across as callous, but I don't see the blame shifting, unless there is a part to the story you haven't told us yet.

HOWEVER, irrespective of that, I've always been impressed with your character Blackout, so I have no doubt you'll do what's right, you seem to have a spot-on moral compass... :p

Unfortunately I don't have any of those parts to provide you. Had I, I would give them to you. Boar might have a point with the street fighter thing... On the other hand, with the prices you posted, it might just be cheaper to replace everything...

Along the lines of making lemonade, this could also be an opportunity for you to learn many cool things about repairs, not just replacing parts. For instance, fiberglass and resin costs maybe $40, + paint could conceivably be very cheap. With school ending you might have the time to do this, no? Just saying. I know all about being a poor college student, and doing the job right with the cheapest route...

Besides replacing various parts with presumably used parts from the forums/ebay, what are some other ideas you have about the fixins?

As always, mad props to you for taking responsibility for your actions, and for having an excellent communication attitude! We need more of you here. Please include us in your rebuild process...

Oh, and I support the motion for photos! :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What am I, Chop liver? lol :ermm:

I have some spare left-over parts.
Oh oh, please tell me more! Sorry I left you out of my 'Hi' list.. you know I still lub you though :) Actually don't know how I even forgot you.. odd, my brain must be on vacation along with my screename.

Spooph- My moral compass is usually pointing dead-ahead North.. unless Beyonce gets plowed into her grave!!!! GRRRR!

But seriously, I am ready to take the hit on this one. I can't expect someone to throw cash at me for a mistake, now, can I? ...really, can I?!? :angel:

Thank you for all your sympathy guizes. :) I am trying to be optimistic and build Beyonce back as her v2.0 self, bigger, badder, and more ready to rock the road than ever!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.