Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I returned from a 3 week vacation I wheeled my motorcycle out onto the driveway, gave it a wash, turned on the choke, and attempted to start it up. It did crank but it did not start... At first this did not worry me because my ninja has never been easy to start and I tried 3 more times. It still did not work so I thought something was wrong. I (not knowing very much about mechanics) went inside and looked on the internet. I learned how to push start the bike and I was eventually successful! At least I thought.

The bike was BARELY running, with full choke. After letting it sit for about 10 minutes it was still running at around 1300 rpm full choke. If I tried to take off the choke or turn the accelerator it would die, but I COULD start it in neutral with full choke. Eventually I pushed it all back up my driveway... and let it run full choke for about another 15 minutes. I noticed that it was now running at around 1500 rpm. I was very frustrated so I fiddled with the choke and until it allowed me to rev the engine in neutral. I reved to about 4000 rpm for 2 minutes full choke then let it settle (around 2000 rpm).

NOW:
1) It will not run or idle without some choke
2) The 'idle' speed seems to be fluctuating a bit
3) It will do circles in the driveway in first gear (with full choke only)

Misc info
- I did not spray water in the muffler when washing it
- Oil level is good
- Bike is 09 and was bought NEW only 4 months ago
- Bike ran fine before trip, but slow to warm up
- 1200 miles, properly serviced
- (today) I had the bike idling with full choke and when I picked it up off the kickstand the rpms jumps from 3000 to 4000. This only happened once and I cannot recreate it.

I don't really know about how to see if there is a problem with the carbs or with anything else. Please give me some advice! :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED!
I decided to take the bike back down the driveway and put it in 3rd gear. It was still running so I put it in 6th and cruised around the block. Everything was going perfect until I slowed at a stop sign and it cut off. After adjusting the "idle speed knob" and a half dozen times if finally worked! Running as usual... hmm... Can the knob need adjustment after sitting for a long period of time???

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It appears that your idle may not have been properly adjusted prior to sitting up or it somehow got misadjusted. The idle may need tweaking for time to time depending on the season (summer-winter). I'd make sure to get some fresh gas in the tank too and remember to open the tank after it's been sitting up for a while.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Fresh Fuel like BG said and maybe add a little Seafoam additive. Found at automotive part stores. Being an 09 probably has a little something built up in the carbs that broke looks and caused problems. I understand it was bought new but probably had fuel for a long time on the show room floor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts