Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have a 92 250 ninja 28,000 miles. I was riding down the road behind my friend and i was in 4th gear and gunned it and passed him and shifted to 5th and then 6th , got up to around 100mph and then slowed and cruised at about 75mph, suddenly i felt my bike start to slow down and i noticed it shut off. I pulled over and tried to start it, NOTHING... just turned over.. after a few minutes of trying and it finally fired off with the choke fully open and the throttle all the way open.. but backfired a few times and then would rev really slowly upward. i could get it to rev up to 10k or more but it would be REALLY slow to respond... i drove it back home and it had ALMOST NO POWER... i couldnt go past 50mph with full throttle ... NOTE: the bike did NOT overheat. checked the water and checked the oil. GOOD...... but i was kinda thinkin maybe a bad spark plug wire or clogged carb or something.. but honestly i have NO IDEA..... PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sounds like a fuel-delivery problem to me.

A few things to try -

Open the gas cap, is there any vacuum? If so there is a venting problem.

Is the tank free of rust? It's possible you could have a plugged fuel filter/screen.

Is the air filter OK? Check the air box.

Is the gas fresh?

Plugs OK?

Oil OK?

It's also possible you have sediment in the float bowls that plugged the main jet.

Holding the throttle wide open generally won't help if you aren't getting enough fuel, it usually helps if it's getting too much (flooded).

Check those items and report back with what you found.

Jay

P.S. Don't rev it that high (10K) without being under load.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so I crunk it today to see if maybe it was overheated yesterday... Well the exhause reaks of.unburnt fuel....... No other changes.... ?ideas?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
ignition. Spark plugs, wires, coils, bad ground. Check on all the things jkv mentioned, and then remove the ignition system and take it to a shop to get diagnosed with the proper tools...

Sounds like you're dropping a cylinder...

Just cause I'm me... how much gas is in the gas tank?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!! i took your advice JKV45 and i went trough the basic steps and guess what i found.....my right spark plug was demolished.. i guess when i was cruising up in high speeds i exploded the spark plug.... Thanks for all the help guys!

Note to self ,,, get new plugs!! lol

·
Registered
674 Posts
OK I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!! i took your advice JKV45 and i went trough the basic steps and guess what i found.....my right spark plug was demolished.. i guess when i was cruising up in high speeds i exploded the spark plug.... Thanks for all the help guys!

Note to self ,,, get new plugs!! lol
That wasn't my first thought, but...

Interesting that happened. That may just be a symptom of another problem. Excessively lean mixtures can burn up a plug (and valve). You should put in the new plugs and see how it runs. If it's not running right I wouldn't ride it or rev it very high until you figure out the problem.

It still may be possible that you have a blocked main jet in that carb and aren't getting enough fuel.

If it's not running right after the new plugs I'd look in that direction.

Post a photo of the plug if you can.

Again, let us know what you find.

Jay

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Btw I dont kno if this makes a difference with the rich/lean thing , but it has a full muzzy exhaust on it( very loud)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok anyone want this damn thing!
So I put the new plug in and it fired right up and sputtered for a sec then ran great.. But after I took the bike for a ride around the yard.. Bam.. It shut off.. And would not crank .. I pulled the plugs again and the one I replaced was ok but it was stuck in the head sorta.. After I got it our the tip was surrounded by a, what I would describe as a "spring" around the threads... Wtf??

Note: I didnt use any excesive force to remove this plug..

So I then tried replacing the plug again and it would only freespin with the ratchet.it feels like nothing is there to grip it... Am I in deep shit or what?

·
Registered
674 Posts
The metal "spring" around the plug is material from the head. The spark plug hole is stripped. There are a few ways to repair it, some without pulling the head.

You'll need to find a shop to do it unless you really feel like tackling it.

Not good news.

Jay

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok Jay, so how much $ are we talking here?? am i gunna have to change the head? and if i were to tap and dye a new hole where would i get the kit to do it?? BTW this bike is now up for sale lol

·
Registered
674 Posts
ok Jay, so how much $ are we talking here?? am i gunna have to change the head? and if i were to tap and dye a new hole where would i get the kit to do it?? BTW this bike is now up for sale lol
No idea on price, sorry.

It's usually called "heli-coil". Here's some info - [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threaded_insert"][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threaded_insert"][url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threaded_insert[/URL][/URL] , [URL="http://www.helicoil.com.sg/"][url]http://www.helicoil.com.sg/[/URL][/URL][/URL]

There are other types that can be used from the outside without removing the head - if there's enough room to work.

Otherwise the head has to come off, the stripped hole is drilled and tapped larger, and the insert is installed to bring the size back down.

You'll have to call around to shops and see what they say on price.

Sorry, that's about all I can tell you.

Jay

·
Registered
674 Posts
No problem, sorry it isn't better news.

Where are you located and how much are you selling it for? There may be someone here interested in a project.

Jay

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I live in chiefland, near gainsvile florida.. I wont take less then 700$ cash or another salvagable ninja

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I am just seeing this . The engine has to come apart for inspection or be replaced.

The problem is the spark plug damage in that photo is the result of preignition. You are maybe a bit lean and when you went full pin. That cooked the tip of the plug to a glowing hot metal point. Then as the piston can up the glowing hot tip acted like a spark plug and set off the air fuel mixture maybe 90 to 100 deg before top dead center.That finished the tip of the plug. Probably also spread a thin layer of metal from the plug across both exhaust valve seats.
To check this out .You would need to run a compression test. But the spark plug hole is striped. So my advice is to pull the head and see if there is a hole in the piston or a big scratch in the cylinder liner from stuck rings.

It is almost impossible to work on fixing the spark plug hole in the bike. At least if there is no damage to the piston You can get the head fixed.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
even though I have not fixed a stripped spark plug hole, I have fixed exhaust mount threads and cam-cap-cover threads with helicoils. They hold up pretty darn good! You can repair this with enough patience and the right tools... Unless, like X said, the piston is fragged or the cylinder wall is damaged.

Also, I hope you start using a torque wrench from here on out.. :p

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
The spark plug is at the bottom of the tube. If you get it anything but streight the spark plug socket will stick when you screw in the plug. Plus you have all the metal from the tap to deal with.

With the head removed you can work from the inside . Plus see whay you are doing . But my consern is the metal from the plug. I have had plugs that don't look that bad .But had a hole in the piston and the engine still ran.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts