Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I filled up my tank for the first couple of times and it appeared to be nearly all the way full (I could see the gas near the top of the tank) but afterwards the gas gauge still showed only 70% fuel remaining. WAY too much 'remaining' to match the fuel I could see with my eyes....

Am I missing something?

Also, if I park the bike over night in the morning it seems like I have less gas... even after riding for a bit to let the gauge catch up to what's really in the tank.

There are no fluids or anything underneath the bike when I startup either.

Any suggestions?
-Aleckor

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
If there are no fluids on or underneath the bike, you're probably not leaking gas. If the bike is unmodified, or professionally modified, it is probably not running THAT rich...

The ninjette's gas guage is a known issue. Inconsistent from bike to bike, and inaccurate at best....

How full did you fill the tank? When I fill mine up to the bottom of the filler neck, it will show 100% full for a hot second before starting to go down. If I keep filling it up past the filler neck, almost to the bottom of the lock-ring for the gas cap (this can only be done while straddling the bike at the pump), she stays at 100% for like 50 miles. It's ridiculous how much fuel that last part of the tank holds.... Keep in mind, if you fill it up past the filler neck, when on the side-stand, it will "overflow" and spill it out the drain tube and your bike will make a woopsy. I usually only fill past the filler neck if I know I'll be covering more than 10 miles RIGHT AFTER I fill up.

So, how far below the filler neck are you filling it up?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd say if I had to guess, I fill up just underneath where I'd end up putting gas into the filler neck. I don't want to splash gas on myself, and the sound of it filling up scares me a little bit.. kind of like an artillery shell landing.

Maybe I just need to fill it up a little more?

Also, how far can you go on one full tank? It's 4 gallons right? So at 40-50 mph average, you should get 200+ miles?
-Aleckor

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
It's a 4.8gal tank, but I've put 5.1 in before.... On a different tank, with a bit more conscious use of the throttle, I've been able to pull 293 miles right as the needle hit the bottom of the "E" notch, which means I still had the space between "E" and the needle to go.... I didn't feel like pushing that day... but I think a ninjette should have 300miles to the tank if you're careful.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The tank size is advertised as 4.8 gals. 4.8 is more than likely the capacity with sufficient space for air. Putting in about 5 gals, is only a difference of 29 ounces. With an avg speed of 55 mph, you can get very close to 300 miles on a tank (providing riding conditions are optimal, i.e no hills, no wind, no low temps, lightweight rider)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sit on it and fill. I've also noticed that the gas gauge will stay on or near E for a really long time. I haven't been brave enough to see just how long it'll go, but it's definitely in the 70-100 mile range.
-Aleckor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.