Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was installing my ZG DB windscreen in place of the stock, the bottom right rubber grommet that acts as the secure nut for the screw fell off when I was screwing it back in.. therefore the screw just slips in and out of the drilled hole so I cannot fasten it there. It got trapped somewhere behind the cluster and after twenty minutes of trying to fish it out or spot it with bright flashlights I couldn't find it. I did hear it drop out though.

Anyway- I was looking at the link below trying to find what I need to replace it, and it seems that all they have is the hex bolt/washer and not the rubber grommet I need. Grrrr, can anyone help me out here?

http://www.kawasakipartshouse.net/pages/parts/viewbybrand/9/Kawasaki.aspx

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both of you, but I have already gotten that far- it is the question of whether the little 'screw/washer' images they show would include the rubber grommets.. I have the hex head and washer, I just need the rubber grommet. Grrrrr!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Let me take a stab at this....

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2008-kawasaki-motorcycle-ex250j8f-ninja-250r-cowling/o/m17215sch550407

Part # 92015B

The nut the screw and washer you're referring to screws into is molded into the rubber "grommet". To get the nut, you have to purchase the grommet, and vis-a-vis, cause their one piece.... I have destroyed all of these on my bike, and the ones you're referring to, the two at the bottom of the windshield, are the biggest pain in the neck to get to, once they're destroyed.... There's just no way to get your hands in there to hold them, as I do with the 2-per side where the side fairing meet with the front fairing....

It's so easy to over tighten these and destroy the rubber, so I feel your pain. Being that I see this as a faulty design (I think they should have welded the nuts to the frame in that spot - something I might be doing here soon....), I haven't replaced mine.

In fact, for now, I just used some electrical tape, around the grommet to keep it together, and then around the frame and back of the nut to hold to the frame. I also switched the hex-head bolts with the ones that hold the side fairings onto the tank (there's 2 on each side), being longer, grab the nut much easier, saving me tremendous headaches.... The shorter ones go to the tank/fairing holes, cause they really only need to be like 4mm long anyway....

Hope this help. If not, keep asking, we'll eventually figure it out...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spooph said:
Let me take a stab at this....

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2008-kawasaki-motorcycle-ex250j8f-ninja-250r-cowling/o/m17215sch550407

Part # 92015B

The nut the screw and washer you're referring to screws into is molded into the rubber "grommet". To get the nut, you have to purchase the grommet, and vis-a-vis, cause their one piece.... I have destroyed all of these on my bike, and the ones you're referring to, the two at the bottom of the windshield, are the biggest pain in the neck to get to, once they're destroyed.... There's just no way to get your hands in there to hold them, as I do with the 2-per side where the side fairing meet with the front fairing....

It's so easy to over tighten these and destroy the rubber, so I feel your pain. Being that I see this as a faulty design (I think they should have welded the nuts to the frame in that spot - something I might be doing here soon....), I haven't replaced mine.

In fact, for now, I just used some electrical tape, around the grommet to keep it together, and then around the frame and back of the nut to hold to the frame. I also switched the hex-head bolts with the ones that hold the side fairings onto the tank (there's 2 on each side), being longer, grab the nut much easier, saving me tremendous headaches.... The shorter ones go to the tank/fairing holes, cause they really only need to be like 4mm long anyway....

Hope this help. If not, keep asking, we'll eventually figure it out...
Thanks spooph, that is what I was going to take a chance on but I feel like it is just the screw and little plastic washer. I hope they have the nut that is inside that rubber black coat included, I am going to order one *prays* thanks bruddeh!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Shady Lane said:
omg, i totally spent 3 hours today with my arm wedged up in my bike trying to get that damn rubber grommet thing on.. 12 hrs later I still have marks on my arm from it.
dude if the kid aint coming out you dont just reach up in and grab it, you have to do a cesarian and cut your plastics open and remove... :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
yeah, i'll remember that next time.. for a few minutes i will just have to deal with the imperfect three bolts.. and next time my buddy is "fixing' my bike, he can take off the front end and put the damn thing on. lol..

no, i'm not bitter about a bolt
no, i did not spend another hour this morning trying to get it on there
no, i dont have scratches and bruises up both arms from this
no, there's no crying in baseball.

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.