Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I've been wanting to buy a new helmet because my cheap HJC is really heavy and bulky. I think I read on here that someone made a reference to "Darth Balls". That's EXACTLY how I feel!

I was thinking about an Icon Alliance Rubitone. It's DOT & Snell, cheap, looks cool, and has lots of good reviews.

Does anyone know of a helmet that is lightweight and not so... huge looking?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Go to a shop! Seriously. If you Really want to buy online, at least go to the shop to make sure you get the right helmet, and then buy it online. Fitting and comfort are a major deal that you can't find out online!

·
Registered
633 Posts
go to a shop try on helmets see what size you are then go online see if you can find it cheaper, i thought i was going to be a M hahah im a XS hahaha

·
Registered
132 Posts
it has guide to teach how to select the right size...i don't think it's any accurate. i have a hjc and a kbc...i measure around my forehead, i should get either medium or large
but when i tried it on, small...both of them
pretty snug at first though...but it's really comfy now after broken in

·
Registered
143 Posts
R6S_2NR said:
go to a shop try on helmets see what size you are then go online see if you can find it cheaper, i thought i was going to be a M hahah im a XS hahaha
Exactly the same!! Went in, measured my head, ah yes, you're a medium. Tried it on, hmm, maybe a small, hmm maybe not, try this one. Sorted!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ya when I got my bike from kaw, they wanted to size me for a helmet and give me like 50% off and this lady tried to give me a medium size helmet. Keep in mind that I wear a 7 1/2" baseball hat and comfertable 7 5/8" fitted hat. Well somehow I got it on and this lady was like ohh thats your size. And I was thinkg there is no damn way this is my size. Well I went to another place to get helmets bc thats all they sell, and this dude was cool. He asked if I ever played football, and I said yes. And he said fitting a motorcycle helmet is like fitting a football helmet. Got to be snug, but it has to be comfertable. Well I finally got a XL. So that lady has no clue what the hell she was talking about. lol

Just thought I would tell that little story of ppl that have no clue what they are talking about. Just like one of my friends that has an AWD Audi and he told me you can drift really easy in that. I about died laughing in his face.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
No way I'd buy on line without knowing how a make/model fits exactly. I started with a Large Vega half helmet, moved to a size Medium AFX helmet, it is is a huge shell and I look like a total pumpkin-head in it. When I follow the HJC sizing chart directions and measure my head, I'm at the high end of needing a medium, but when I went to the shop I bought a Large HJC IS-16 and found I could not possibly squish my head into the Medium. So bottom line, try on lots before you pick.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I'm with the trying it on and testing lots and lots of helmets.

Something to keep in mind my resident apparel "expert" taught me a while back. When trying on a helmet, make sure to look at yourself in a mirror. If your cheeks are too squished in, it will start to become uncomfortable after about 30 minutes, and probably not break in far enough... Another point to watch out for is your forehead. How snug is the helmet on your forehead, compared with the back of your head, your cheeks, and your chin? They should be equally as comfortable/uncomfortable. Most helmets these days will "grow to your head" about 15% percent, which isn't as much as you think. In most helmets, it's between 1 and 3 millimeters, so envision a penny being pinched between your helmet and your cheek... Also keep in mind, a helmet on the "small" side for your head is safer than on the "larger" side of your head. You should have the helmet on, and vigorously shake your head side to side, and the helmet should not move sideways, more than your skin. Once you stop shaking your head, the helmet should be gripping your face where it was when you first put it on. Not half cocked over an eye or something. If they'll let you, walk around the store admiring other motorcycles, talking to rep, or sitting down and reading a book, for about 10 minutes with a helmet you like, on your head. People look at you weird, but you're about to spend $120 on something you're trusting your life to, and which is responsible for part of your reputation out on the road. Let the people in shop laugh, if they want to..

Personally, I go get a coffee with a straw and go read an article in Motorcyclist. If I try and walk out the store without paying for the helmet, I know it's comfortable enough to forget about, and I buy it (after they catch me :D)

www.NewEnough.com is an awesome to get that stuff, once you've found your size....

Hope this helmet, and good luck hunting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts