Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does a full face helmet cause more damaging noise with the visor open or closed? Earplugs are too painful to wear inside my helmet, so I'd like to do whichever keeps the noise down and prevents further damage to my ears.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At what speed does the noise rise above 85db?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
At what speed does the noise rise above 85db?

Stopped at a stop light at a busy intersection with your helmet visor closed produces a sound level of 80-90dB SPL. (Lawn mower, loud restaurant levels)

Speeds of 65mph can produce wind noise levels at 103dB SPL, (chainsaw, pneumatic drill). This noise is loud enough to cause TTS in your hearing, tinnitus and permanent ear damage.

SPL is the abbreviation for sound pressure level.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stopped at a stop light at a busy intersection with your helmet visor closed produces a sound level of 80-90dB SPL. (Lawn mower, loud restaurant levels)

Speeds of 65mph can produce wind noise levels at 103dB SPL, (chainsaw, pneumatic drill). This noise is loud enough to cause TTS in your hearing, tinnitus and permanent ear damage.

SPL is the abbreviation for sound pressure level.
Single muzzy exhaust at 75-80 MPH is what I'm getting hit with. My ears have been messed up long before I started riding, but I think I'm making them worse.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Permissible noise exposure time for 115 decibels is a 15 min., after that probable hearing damage can occur.

Keep in mind, your hearing loss can be progressive due to a congenital disorder, since it's been that way for a while. It doesn't take a lot of noise to raise the db level. Loud music, TV, exposure to everyday noise, even riding with the window down in your car can contribute to hearing lose.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
WHAT?
I ride with my visor cracked so it gives me some air....:thumb:
N when it's cold out it will fog up..if not cracked.:facepalm:
Only way to get rid of noise is wear earplugs.....:thumb:
Then hopefully u'll still hear the sirens when they're behind u....:eek:
The world is full of noise......:rolleyes:
Hang out in downtown city n listen a bit.....:whistling:
Hey....ride behind a Harley a while if u wanna hear noise.....:eek:
Just listening to these cheazy aluminum engines is noise...
But it how they're made now....
Not a lot u can really do about noise beside wear some comfy earbuds....
:facepalm:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
615 Posts
Headphones. Tried riding with them once, loved it. Now I can't go for a ride without them. Music makes rides even that much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
531 Posts
With all the different types of earplugs out there I'd think you could find something that would be comfortable. Out of curiosity I did a quick search on Amazon and was surprise w/ all the variations of plugs.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
....Earplugs are too painful to wear inside my helmet, so I'd like to do whichever keeps the noise down and prevents further damage to my ears.
Which kind have you tried? Foam plugs work very good for those with tight and sensitive ear canals. The plugs with stems are pretty stiff and can be very uncomfortable.

With all the different types of earplugs out there I'd think you could find something that would be comfortable. Out of curiosity I did a quick search on Amazon and was surprise w/ all the variations of plugs.
So true.
I've used different types over the years and found some soft foam (softer than average) plugs that don't hurt when they expand. You just have to to make sure they are inserted well so that they do not rub the inside of the helmets. when they do the sound is really obnoxious. Riding with plugs at high speed for long distances is much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But how ya gunna hear the air-box resonate....LOL..
N the exhaust go pop-pop....
N the people screaming when u chase them down the sidewalks in first gear at 8000 RPMs..
N all that kinda good stuff....
Only 8k in first? 12k in first sets them in a pure state of panic. I only hear popping at low speeds when I completely let off the throttle, either it doesn't pop at higher speeds or I just can't hear it.

I really think the Muzzy might be adding more db to my commute, that and riding at 85 MPH can't hel either. :facepalm:

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Only 8k in first? 12k in first sets them in a pure state of panic. I only hear popping at low speeds when I completely let off the throttle, either it doesn't pop at higher speeds or I just can't hear it.

I really think the Muzzy might be adding more db to my commute, that and riding at 85 MPH can't hel either. :facepalm:
Try buying some foam ear plugs.
When i'm working in load areas running Heavy equipment it's what i use.
They're comfy, but not really reusable.
They get dirty quick so after a few times of use toss them.
I was buying them in packages of 100, but most places I work supply's them.

Amazon.com: Flents Quiet Please Foam Ear Plugs (100 Pair) with a Green Flents Container - A 4.98 Value - Nrr29: Health & Personal Care

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The ones I used I swiped from the front entrance to a local factory, but they sucked and hurt my ears badly. They were the yellow/ orange foam ones. I tried various gun ear plugs, but they weren't comfortable either.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The ones I used I swiped from the front entrance to a local factory, but they sucked and hurt my ears badly. They were the yellow/ orange foam ones. I tried various gun ear plugs, but they weren't comfortable either.
If you are talking about the 3m Classic ear plugs, you would have been better off with sticks in your ears. My air filter is softer than these shits. Gotta be the cheapest plugs you can buy in bulk.

We used to wear the all yellow ones on the rifle range. They work well, (you could only hear a pop from the M-16's 3 feet away from you), but hurt after a while. They are pretty hard to roll and got harder when compressed, compared to the ones I use now.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you are talking about the 3m Classic ear plugs, you would have been better off with sticks in your ears. My air filter is softer than these shits. Gotta be the cheapest plugs you can buy in bulk.

We used to wear the all yellow ones on the rifle range. They work well, (you could only hear a pop from the M-16's 3 feet away from you), but hurt after a while. They are pretty hard to roll and got harder when compressed, compared to the ones I use now.
Yeah, those are similar, they were on discout at five finger prices, you couldn't beat them..lol I gave them away or tossed them.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One source from a quick google search places the db level of my muzzy at 100db at 3k rpm, not factoring in wind noise, likely much higher since the average commute it at about 6k rpm at 75-80 MPH for about an hour one way and an hour back, unless I have to run some errands before returning home which I do quite often. I'm really considering going back to OEM dual exhaust, but I have no idea how much that will help. I have access to OEM pipes, but not OEM exhaust tips.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts