Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

Helmet Headphones

5K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Shady Lane 
#1 ·
So I recently started listening to music during my rides. Because I didn't think ahead (and there isn't a large selection of bluetooth helmets) I resort to plugging my earphones into my ipod and shoving my helmet on over them, hoping they stay in my ears.

I know most of you probably do it the same way, but I was wondering if anyone has found a wireless set to mount inside their helmet that works well with bluetooth?

#3 ·
Most helmet intercoms are capable of linking with a phone or ipod via bluetooth. With my Blueant F4 interphones, I can be linked to Wifey, and also have a link to her iPhone for music, plus a second phone or GPS if I wanted at the same time.
We are currently having issues with Wifeys module, but I am waiting for Blueant to get back to me.

#4 ·
JT, sorry, I meant to respond to this a while back, and it kept being put off, my bad. You're asking a difficult question from the manufacturers....

There are many bluetooth headsets on the market, ranging from $80 for one headset, to $600 for 2, with many different features and functions. I have a Midland myself. What I have found, which has also be confirmed by popular opinion is that the speakers attached to the headsets are pretty much crap. Music is almost intolerable, with no bass, and a constant sound of being overdriven. The speakers are OK for intercom and calls on the bike, because we're pretty used to crap speakers on our phones anyway.

There are a few headsets out there that will allow you plug in a set of earbud headphones, which would yield much better sound, but they are pricey, and not to mention, they will probably blow out your ear drums.

With my midlands I have found that the volume levels auto adjusts with ambient noise levels, and the wind really messes with that output (it pulls the ambient noise level from the same mic you speak into, so if a big gust of wind creates lots of noise, it really blasts the sound), and so with earbuds, that would just get insanely loud! I'm trying out various wind blocks on my mic, and will report back, but for now I have no answers.

OK, even with sound issues sorted, there is still a problem with the whole bluetooth wireless thing, in that it's wireless... The ground build into the circuit is very small, and has no static electricity discharge mechanisms built in, so above 70mph I can actually hear the static pop and crackle in my helmet. When I modify the headset to accept ear buds, a might be able to also add a static electricity discharge rod to the helmet, but I'm not very confident in that idea.... Some people have even said that above 70mph they can't hold a conversation, because the static, signal is so bad, and they're no more than 10feet away from one another.... I have had many other people in this area confirm this about their headsets, and manu's almost run the entire gambit with us. We've covered just about everybody.

So, essentially, you'll be getting the convenience of the "hands-free" and wireless at the expense of proper sound. I must say, I do like the hands-free thing, if only I can get the sound to be reasonable, i would really like this system... On the other hand, with a $100 invested in some proper ear buds, you'd be much happier with the sound, AND have the added benefit of helmet noise cancellation if the buds fit correctly. With the built in bluetooth speakers, the helmet is still very noisy and as of late, I've been noticing a slight ringing in my ears ever since i went to the bluetooth system about 2 months ago....

#18 ·
well here is the good news, if you don't like the er6i's (Im sure they will sound much better tho), you can find the m6's for like $20! I tried them for that very reason. I had been using AO Safety Blockade noise canceling ear buds, they run about $50 a pair, they don't sound all that great, and the wires kept breaking. Went through two pairs, so I went on an internet spelunking expedition and found the M6's. I've been using them every day for a year now, I haven't had a single issue with them. So $20 well spent for me haha.

So good luck with the er6i's, Im sure you will like them a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.