Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone! My name is Luke and I'm a new member to the forum, although I've been shadowing/reading here for a couple months now. I live in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin (very southeast corner of WI, just 2 miles above the IL border). In mid-October I took and passed the MSF basic rider course and received my class M license. The week after that I bought a used 2008 Ninja 250R...

I'm now the 3rd owner of this bike. The original owner dropped it once and did some very mild damage to the right fairing. The second owner dropped the bike the first day she had it doing a u-turn in a parking lot...cracked the left fairing pretty good around the turn signal...

Other than that the bike is in great condition and runs good. The only modification made to the bike before I bought it was the addition of a Two Bros carbon fiber slip-on. Although the pipe was hyped in the sale, I was able to negotiate quite heavily due to that fairing damage. Over the winter I plan on seeing what I can do to at least lessen the damage visually. The bike only has 1800 miles on it.

I had already known for months that I wanted an 08 or newer Ninja 250R, and I had my sights set on Red, with Black being my second choice. Buying used however, and being limited both financially and physically (I didn't want to drive really far to check out a bike that I might not even buy)...my choices were slim. I'll be honest and admit that I was hesitant on buying a "lime green" bike (I had already seen new red and blue ones at some local dealers). But then I saw it in person, and let me tell ya...this thing is HOT. I can honestly sit here now and say that the Kawasaki green is where it's at!

In the three weeks that I've owned the bike I've already done the following:
-Jardine Fender Eliminator
-ProGrip Tank Guard
-Keiti Carbon Fiber Gas Cap Protector (for looks...not actual protection)
-TapeWorks Reflective Rim Tape (in Kawi Green)
-K&N Air Filter (not yet installed)
-DynoJet Kit #2193 (not yet installed)

Before I install the K&N (and remove snorkel) I'm going to shim the needles. I might just return the DynoJet kit...I'm really not sure. I've read quite a bit of conflicting opinions on the matter. I only have a slip-on, and other than the K&N and snorkel, I plan to do no other "performance" modifications to this bike as it's simply not worth the money.

Anyway, I'll get some more pictures up soon of the recent mods listed above. I'm excited to be a part of this community!

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Welcome to the forum! youll love it here!

i like the intro to yourself and the bike :) very good! and your bike looks awesome!

You will find loads of hep here, especially for mods! (and its also fun to mess arround too :))

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Welcome abourd Slimer, and apart from the damage, the bike looks good!
A decent plastic welder can fix up that damage from the inside, and then you just need to decide how to hide the damage from the outside. Maybe some more decals, or a respray.
Anyway, looks like you've already got the modding bug, so you can't go back now!!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Well, let's see... you own the super cool new Ninja 250, you like posting pictures, and you have an addiction to modification. You're going to fit in here swell!

Welcome and congrats on your new bike.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A decent plastic welder can fix up that damage from the inside, and then you just need to decide how to hide the damage from the outside. Maybe some more decals, or a respray.
Plastic welder? I would have never guessed that plastic could be welded, but I'll definitely look into this. Thanks for the suggestion! There actually were many more decals on the bike when I bought it, most of them peeling off. None of them were hiding any damage, and some were just not attractive (8 stickers per side advertising for various racing outfits). Bike looks much better in it's own skin.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So now that riding season is almost here, I'm looking to pick up a rear seat cowl. I have a few questions for anyone that can answer...

1. The Monster graphics that came with my bike are pretty faded. I have no idea how long they've been on the bike, but I can tell they've seen some Sun. I do like the Kawa Green/Black theme that I have going on...been looking for another set of these graphics but cannot find them anywhere. Are these still being made?

2. I'm *very* curious about seeing what a Black rear seat cowl would look like on my bike. Anyone able to photoshop this for me, or better yet...link to a member who may have already done this?

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi everyone! Wow it's been forever since I've been on the boards. How is everyone doing? My summer has been incredibly busy. I wanted to hop on and share with everyone my new ride:

2004 Suzuki GSX-R 600
9600 miles

Modifications:
K&N air filter
Yoshimura carbon slip on
Hotbodies undertail
Supersprox sprockets
Gold rk chain
Frame sliders
Swing arm spools
Rear tire hugger
Pazzo levers
Solo seat cowl
Smoke windscreen
Mirror block off plates
Rear veiw camera system
Battery tender
Custom seat
Aluminum footpegs
Pro grip gas tank pad
Flush mount blinkers

By melekith135 at 2011-08-24

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had full, and I mean FULL, intentions of hanging onto my 250 for at least a couple of years. My 250 has (I still have it, going up on Craigslist Sunday) all the power that you really need in the real world and absolute undeniable fuel economy. One of my buddies has a 2007 Triumph Daytona 675 and after months of begging me to try it I finally did.

I've won't ever look back.

Having said that...I do not regret my decision to purchase the 250 at all. It is a phenominal bike to learn on, very forgiving. I had ZERO experience with bikes. I had never ridden a dirt bike, hell not even a 4-wheeler. On paper it was downright silly for me to not start on a 250. Now that I have a full season under my belt, and I feel comfortable with the controls and have learned how to scan (constantly) my surroundings...I had to step up.

I've sold my GoPro, but I did get an iPhone so I'll get a walkaround and start/idle/rev video up for y'all by this weekend.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And for the record...I've yet to register or join any of the Gixxer boards (i have scanned them for important news and stuff). New Ninja remains my only registered motorcycle forum :)

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Hey Slimer, congrats on the new ride. I hope you can keep it and yourself pretty for a very long time! Be careful not to fit the mold of the gixxer squid.. :p J/K man, and slightly jealous, that thing looks like a hoot!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.