Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I found your fourms the other day when looking for infomation about the 250. It seems that you have a alot of people with good infomaion on the 250 as well as motercycles in general. Anyway enough with that I was looking for some infomation on buying a new ninja. However this will be my first bike ever and would like a new on just because I'm probly not going to upgrade in the future, I'll ride till the wheels fall off lol. But I'm not sure what the final price is going to cost me here in the states. I see the MSRP as 3,999 and specal for 4,250.00 USD but when I called the dealer they wanted 4,700.00 USD and was thinking that it did not sound right. I will go with the 2010 if I have to but would really like the white SE that I seen. Problem is, I dont want to pay 5 grand. Can someone please explain about the prices for this bike.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Welcome GGaskill, this is a good crew here and there is pleanty of information waiting for you!
As far as prices go, the MSRP is the price Kawasaki sets as a price for the bike, but the dealer needs to add things like freight costs, registration, assembly charges etc, etc, etc. This is what makes up the extra couple of dollars. The $4700 quoted would be the OTD price, or "Out The Door" which basically means no more to pay.
Good luck with your purchase, but make sure you call around for the best price!!

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Try bartering as well! if you go in with $4200 in cash on you and say youll give it them for the bike, they will be more likely to take it than someone playing on card.

Welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Welcome!!

To them it is money in the hand either way. Financing is the same as cash to them. CCard they will take a little hit but usually they pass that on the buyers. They look at the net.
Honestly Dealers are not making a ton on this bike. You would be surprised how little they make.
They make money on the accessories, mods helmets etc... Just an fyi.

I paid like 4300-4500 out the door for mine is 08. And paid cash.
They were in demand, Their policy on this bike was no bickering and I wanted a green one only one left in 200 miles. In our area these are hot sellers. I could have gotten a couple of hunderd off on the set up fee but my fav dealer wasn't going to get one until late 08 and I wanted to have it for the spring.

3499 + setup and Freaking Seattle area sale tax of 9% 300+ dollars alone , registration, It all adds up and the new ones now are more money. It depends on the flooring charges and how long they have had the inventory to set the price lower and take a loss.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Hey Gas, welcome to the forum! Good to hear you're looking at a ninja as your first bike, smart decision!

Concerning the price, I paid $3499 MSRP like Zartan did back in '08. That left me at $4200 OTD. I didn't have the option of buying a used bike. Finding a 08+ 250 in 08 was like trying to find hen's teeth. I was on a waiting list for 3 months before I got mine, and I had no choice in the color - it just happened to be red (YAY!).

The bike hasn't changed since '08, except for the color schemes. Kawi just kept raising the prices on the new ones, for what ever reasons...

So 5K is what it's going to take to get a new bike. Keep in mind, these fees will be tacked onto ALL new bikes sold, so say for instance, the 650R at $6499 MSRP (or whatever it is), is still gonna be $7,300 OTD, or something like that. Bigger bikes gets taxed more....

You might not notice the difference as much with bigger bikes, because respective to the MSRP price, the extra charges seem to be less and less of the overall price as the bike gets more expensive... A new ZX-10R - $13,999 MSRP + taxes, might only be $14,900, or maybe $15K, but a grand is only 1/14 of that bike's MSRP. Get what I'm saying?

OK, OK, OK. So you don't want to pay $5K for a 250... You could get a used 600 for $4K... Well, you can get a used 250 for $3K or maybe even less... If you look hard enough, you might be able to find one in very good shape, well taken care of, and no scratches, but don't expect it to be significantly less than the new bikes - you just don't have to pay all the extra fees, which makes it a lot less when comparing OTD with used bike value.... Also, a 250 is A LOT less expensive to maintain, if you ride a lot that is... Tires last longer, you can pretty do whatever you need by yourself (at least I can), an insurance is a wee bit cheaper.

OK, I'm rambling, getting off the soap box now.

Again, glad to have you here, keep checking in to share your story with us, eh?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh.. Now I get it. But I did have some infomation about the 250 as well. If I did go with the 2010 which my local dealer did say they will charge 4200.00 OTD but I really did like the white 2011. However the price is not just there for me although I will pay if they did not have any more 2010's. But if there any thing different with the 2011 besides the gauges and paint, because I want the most updated ninja 250 that they have. Oh and Spooph is that going to be the same for the 2011 as well no differance with the engin or wight, if this is correct then I would take the sexy red from 2010. Also I Should be going in the dealer with cash in hand so I don't know if that is going to be a big deal like it is when buying a cager. I would would hope that they see the green and just let me talk them down some. Anyways thanks for the infomation I think I found a new home, as I have alot of questions im a total noob at this stuff as I have not even been on a dirt bike lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh sorry to not add this in with my last post but does the dealer build almost 75% of the bike or is it just the small stuff. Sorry for the second post.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Tires and cables etc... most of the bike comes built and crated. you are paying for freight and setup. Fluids, tires, tuning, etc...Cash will talk a little ( not much see my eariler post) on 2010 and before but not much at all on the 2011...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So has anyone bought the 2011 yet and how much was the OTD price. I want to get a good enough infomation so that I can be ready when the time comes. I have kids at home and feel selfish for spending that much money on myself. However, they are getting a really good christmas and I really need a bike for going back and forth to school and back as gas prieces are starting to go up and my school is about 45mins away. Oh Marry Christmas everyone hope you get the mods you been asking for and stay safe.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Yup Zandit nailed it. The dealer just throws in the necessary fluids and wheels, maybe handlebars.

I haven't heard anything about the 2011 being mechanically different from the 2010. Just different color schemes (it's what they did for 20 years prior to the 2008.

Also, OTD varies by area/state because of taxes and such, so you want to talk to somebody from Missouri, in your area specifically... Go in and ask the dealer how much OTD... Then pick a number lower than that and tell them, if you can get me OTD for less than XXXXX, I'll take it right now..... That's what I do. Sometimes, although they can't skimp on the price of the bike and such, they're willing to sacrifice in-house fees to keep a customer returning... If yo have a good shop, anyways.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yah I hear that But for some reason when I checked last time they said that I could walk out the door an a new 1mile 2010 for about 3900.00 if I remember but thats when I went into the store. I called them back a few days ago and there like its 4700.00 for the 2010. At that point I was uh no you told me this a few weeks back so I think they just make there prices as they go lol. Anyways is there any thing that I need to know about the 08+'s

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I think it's vastly different depending on if you're on the phone or in the store....

If you're there, they sweeten the deal to make you go for it. If you're on the phone, maybe they think you're just wasting their time... Do they know you well? Did the salesman remember you? All things to consider.

And no, not really. The new-gens are pretty solid machines. I have 40K on mine with no hiccups thus far. It's also a fairly stock machine, but still, that's pretty good so far. I'm hoping to hit 100K before the engine blows up... At least, that's when I'll allow myself to get a new bike. 100K or bust!

Some of the first new-gens (08 had CDI problems, or tachometer issues, but that's been sorted out now. Those issues tend to show themselves within the first 4K though, so if you buy used, try to get with more than that, or that still has the factory warranty. I can't remember anything else, hopefully somebody else will chime in if they remember anything.

BTW, I like your signature... :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
yeah I bet if I would go back in the store they might just remember me. I just hope I get to pick the color that I like and not the one that they have in stock. Oh and I take my test in the next few days I just hope that I pass. I read the book alot just for some good habits to get into and not wreck on my first day out. Also does anyone know if there is about the same amount of questions as the driving exam?

Oh and spooph, I can't take credit for the sig as I got the idea from a website but I thought it was funny however, yours and the one guys that says "your playing stupid again and it looks like your winning" is my top favorite.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Haha!!! Thanks GG!!!
To be honest I saw it on a t-shirt in a store one day, and it just stuck in my head!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I have paid off like 3k in fines so I thought I would use it. Oh and spooph I bet that your therapist is one of the cheapest and easy to get an apointment with lol. When can you sign me up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.