Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Well i hope i could get some help please. I have 0 experience on a motorcycle ( i use to have a scooter when i was like 8yrs old and top speed was like 25-30). Im about to take my msf course. I need help on choosing a bike. Ive heard that a 250 is a good bike and i want one ive been looking at these for quite awhile but somepeople tell me go for a 650 its just 2-3k extra and you wont need to upgrade later on. I know for a fact there is a differnce between the two i have some knowledge of bikes and the differnce in cc's. Im 5"10 about 190lbs. I plan to buy a bike new because i will be keeping it like for 1-1 1/2 year. I wanna learn to ride good but dont wanna make a mistake :facepalm: by buying the wrong one. And wanna upgrade when i learn to ride well and safe.

Thankx and will appreciate all adbice given :dance:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I personally love my 250

I had 0 riding experience before my course,
But knew that unwanted a bike.
After visiting the showroom, I sat on a bunch of 600's and 1000's, and after learning to ride on a 125 ( course bikes ) I decided that a 250 was plenty. It wasn't so heavy or big that I was overwhelmed, but still plenty fast enough to get me into trouble. ;P
A 250 is a great starter bike in my opinion,
I certainly do not regret for an instant buying one.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Welcome! It's good to look around, ask some questions, and get some opinions before jumping in - smart move #1.

Your next smart move is getting some training. Complete the MSF course before buying a cycle. If, after the course, you still feel that riding is for you, start looking for a cycle.

Don't buy a new cycle for your first (or any type of Extended Warranty if you ever buy new or used from a dealer). Shop around and find a good used model for thousands less. Chances are it will get dropped sooner or later. Buy a complete set of decent gear and wear it.

Don't buy a 650 for your first bike. I have a 650 and am the same size as you. It's big and heavy. Too big and heavy to learn on. It's true you may keep it longer than a 250, but the chances of having it get away from you are significantly higher - and so are the insurance rates - especially for a new rider. Learn on a small, manageable, cycle. It's your first cycle, not your last...

Many riders find the 250 works great for them, and never feel a need to "upgrade".

Jay

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jkv45 said:
Welcome! It's good to look around, ask some questions, and get some opinions before jumping in - smart move #1.

Your next smart move is getting some training. Complete the MSF course before buying a cycle. If, after the course, you still feel that riding is for you, start looking for a cycle.

Don't buy a new cycle for your first (or any type of Extended Warranty if you ever buy new or used from a dealer). Shop around and find a good used model for thousands less. Chances are it will get dropped sooner or later. Buy a complete set of decent gear and wear it.

Don't buy a 650 for your first bike. I have a 650 and am the same size as you. It's big and heavy. Too big and heavy to learn on. It's true you may keep it longer than a 250, but the chances of having it get away from you are significantly higher - and so are the insurance rates - especially for a new rider. Learn on a small, manageable, cycle. It's your first cycle, not your last...

Many riders find the 250 works great for them, and never feel a need to "upgrade".

Jay
Thanks for your respomse i just wish i could buy a used one but where i live almost every one has a 650 or greater for sell used even my local used dealer I checked craigslist for a decent offer but everyone is selling like their 08 ninja for 3500 not pretty bad well for me but thing is i dont have cash in hand at the moment thats why i was thinking of financing a 250.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.