Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new here (obviously) and wanted to introduce myself. I have been drooling all over the 2nd gen ninja 250r for many months now. I want a dependable, good MPG, fun, good-looking, and good for beginnner bike. The ninja 250r seems like the perfect bike to fill this criteria. When I started looking for a bike I was looking at the Honda Rebel and Star 250. I didn't like the fact that they really didn't go fast enough to take on the interstate. I am originally from the Tallahassee area and its about a 2 1/2-3 hour commute. It didn't take long to find out about the Ninja though. I have yet to find any real contructive downsides to these bikes (other than the inherent limitations of 250 cc engine performance). I am having a very hard time deciding whether I should buy a low-milage used bike Vs. new with warranty (and known future maintenance and break-in). I have read many people say that it's not if you drop your bike, but when. I am not dumb enough to think that this can't happen to me. I can't help but lean towards the brand new bike though. I was wondering if these "sliders" offer good protection in the scenario a drop does occur? What other precautions/protecters are there? If anyone has any advice/comments on anything that I have mentioned, I would love to hear it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Welcome!

First off, you're bang on with it being the right bike in my opinion, ticks all those boxes.

Used vs New, comes down to budget, you could get a used dealer bike, with low mileage, with some warranty left. Might fit you perfectly.

Frame sliders help in some situations, but some people consider them more dangerous. Every crash is different, but if you did a slow speed or standing drop (service station) then they would be great. You can also get some swingarm sliders which try and do the same thing as the frame sliders for your swingarm.

The best 'protection' in my opinion is training... if you can do some road craft courses, mentor rides, even group rides with experienced riders who can give you tips. I've met riders who have been at it for 20+ years and will come out of a course saying how much they learnt!

When you make a choice stick some pics of the new baby up :D :D

Felix

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Felix. I forgot to mention that I'm going to do the MSF training. I definetely want to learn how to be the best rider I can be. Another big incentive I have found for completing this training (other than safety granted) is that most insurance companies offer a discount to owners that have completed it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Slimer08. I do expect to learn a lot in the course. Obviously, experience is best. I meant that I want to be the best rider I can be in a general sense. I believe the MSF course certainly will help. Just curious, but how much did you pay for the course?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Welcome Roger! Glad to have you here and looking at 250's! Good input so far, let's see what I can add without being redundant.

Used vs. New - New you get the piece of mind you'll break it in right and maintain it right. The engine is pretty solid, so even with a low-mileage bike without proper maintenance you won't be let down, except for the abused and lemons.

Frame sliders: The shoguns are awesome! I don't see how swing arm sliders will help this bike at all. If you go down, even with frame sliders, you'll still hit the rear fairings and probably crack or damage them somehow. They're $50 a side to replace, so not that big a deal, and the frame sliders will save the much more expensive ($450) front side fairings, but as Felix said, only at slower speeds. I have shoguns on my bike and they're saved me serious cash over the 3 years I've had my bike.

I'll add my vote the MSF course. As has been said, it's a good starting point, and definitely a must if you haven't ridden bikes before. You obviously have the right attitude. Lots of personal practice after the course driving home the concepts there, more experience, and some more advanced courses down the line will be your fast track to excellent riding, and remember, nobody ever has it completely figured out... :D Part of the fun, no?

Note: I don't mean to be a know-it-all, just thought I'd inform for future referrence. The new-gen ninja, 08+ is the 4th generation ninja. We typically distinguish between new-gen and pre-gen, pre-gen being '88-'07 and the first 3 generations... Or am I also confused Felix?

Anyway, Roger, you are very welcome here. You have the right attitude, ask the right questions, and do your homework before asking questions. Well done sir! You will do well here! Keep us posted, eh? And some pics of possible bikes you're looking into. We hope to help in anything you might need.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thank you Slimer08. I do expect to learn a lot in the course. Obviously, experience is best. I meant that I want to be the best rider I can be in a general sense. I believe the MSF course certainly will help. Just curious, but how much did you pay for the course?
I paid $220 for my course, but I've also heard that some institutions will do it for free, with your option of a small donation. It varies by institution.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome Roger, I am also from Pensacola FL, well to be exact Milton but it's one and the same to me. From what I read the 250r is a perfect fit for you and you will love the bike, I am still trying to get mine the used bike I was going to get a year ago fell through so I'm still waiting, I'm looking at having mine in around 6-7 months. When we both get our bikes we should ride together. Go talk to Curtis at the Kawasaki dealer on 29th they have 3 250s on the floor and 3 more on order, you will be looking at around $4500 out the door. And where did you find the MSF course for $180 cheapest I could find was $240.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Welcome Roger, good to hear from you!!!

On top of all the other advice, might I suggest good gear as well! There is gear to suit all budgets, but I believe that it is good to go that little bit more than what you think.
A good quality helmet, jacket and pants will go a long way to giving you that comfort and safe feeling which leads to self confidence.
Don't get me wrong, there are idots out there who think they are bullet proof, and won't wear gear, they are the ones who have the worse battle scars and skin grafts to show off their stupidity!

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Reverend. The MSF link is Pensacola Motorcycle Course by Southern MotorSports Safety affiliate of PJC and is at Pensacola State College (formerly PJC). My time frame on getting a bike is also similar. I'm kind of waiting to see if they what changes will be made for the 2012 models. Does anyone have any idea when they may come out? Hoping for efi! That would be cool to ride when we get bikes. I have some buddies that live out in Milton and I know that there's plenty of good places to ride there also. Good luck on your bike search!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.