Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I found this board while searching for an oil cooler for a 2004 EX250 motor. I like the fact that there seems to actually be a dialog going on here.

I have put this motor into a 1946 Salsbury Scooter to ride it across country in the 2012 Scooter Cannonball. Needless to say it ran hot when the temps got up into the high 80's F.
Is there an oil cooler for the EX250 motor? ANY help will be appreciated!
Lee

Here is a picture of the motor mounted into the chassi.

Here is a picture taken in Georgia durring the ride.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

I have gone from Motorcycles to vintage scooters. Kind of the opposite to what most people do. I always seem buck convention.

The only motorcycle I have left is a NSU ZDB 125. Even it is more like a scooter. LOL

Lee

· Registered
674 Posts
That's pretty tightly packed in there - do you think you are getting enough flow through the radiator and out of the engine bay?

Is the chrome piece on the side a scoop for the radiator? How does the air exit?

Are you going by a stock Ninja temp gauge, or how do you know your temps are too high?

Jay

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is really packed in there. I only have the original Ninja temp. gauge. I know it's too hot because it will blow water our of the over flow at times.
The scoop is the intake for the radiator. The air flow has to go out the bottom.

the only time it over heats is if the outside temp is over 85 F.

Lee

I just want to start with a oil cooler first. If I have to add more radiator surface later I will.

· Registered
674 Posts
I don't think an oil cooler will help as much as you hope.

To me, it looks like there is just not enough flow over the radiator. While an oil cooler will help, I don't think it will solve the problem completely. I think you need more airflow over the radiator and a larger area to exhaust the heat from the radiator and the engine compartment. From what I can tell from the photo, the scoop may not be big enough either.

Maybe some more close-up photos would help, but it doesn't look like there is enough room for the air to flow smoothly through and exit the radiator because it's so close to the side of the engine. Even on cycles designed to use cross-flow radiators, there still have been cooling issues because you are not getting as much clean airflow through the fins as you do when the radiator sits perpendicular to the airflow.

Jay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.