Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Winston here from Ottawa Ontario. This forum seemed to have the largest presence of 400R owners so I joined up!

How I acquired my motorcycle (scroll down for tl;dr)

About two months ago I got a promotion at work and I decided to use my extra income to buy a motorcycle. I've been looking around a couple of months prior and knew that I wanted a green 2011 Ninja 400R. Within the hour of receiving the promotion I was at the dealer getting all the paperwork signed. Everything was good to go with the exception of getting my insurance sorted out.

That night I went out to a local bar and saw a green 400R pull up across the street. I went and talked to the rider for about ten minutes about the bike and how he liked it. At the end of the conversation he told me that he's moving to Europe at the end of the month and his motorcycle has been listed on Kijiji for about a month and he's having trouble finding a buyer. We exchanged contact information.

The bought it the next morning when I sobered up. It had been dropped by him in the past but the damage was minimal. I got at a bargain!

tl;dr: Promotion. Bought a bike at a dealership. Found the same model while waiting in line at the bar that night. Bought the cheap one.

My gear

Questions I have
  1. Has anyone here attached a GPS to their 400R? Can you give me some tips?
  2. I'm thinking about getting a camera to record my rides. Any suggestions?
  3. Does anyone know of any good places to get modifications for the 400R and maybe recommend a couple?

Pictures

My Ninja beside my buddy's 2005 Ninja 500

Me in full gear

My buddy and I out for a ride

One of the Ottawa parks I frequent

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Hiya winston, and welcome to NN! Nice bike, lucky find. Thanks for the big intro with pics, that`s the way it`s done. We have some other riders from the nations capital, sure they`ll chime in soon.
Enjoy

·
Registered
125 Posts
I your looking for a camera i would suggest a Go-Pro Hero or Hero 2. I use my Dads Hero and now that i have my own bike im going to get a Hero 2. The Hero is $199 and the Hero 2 is $299.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome Winston,

Nice ride, but then again I'm a little biased. :)

I second the GoPro, awesome little camera, can do stills or HD video, waterproof and can handle a beating.

As far as a GPS goes, get a Garmin, I have an old 276C which I have mounted and hardwired to the battery, but it is discontinued now.

GPSCity or GPS Central have good prices, both are in Canada and ship. Get a motorcycle specific unit so you can use it with gloves on.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Got my 400r in June.... love it and I have 1800 kms on it already. I'm a new driver at 45.
I'm in Montreal. About the GPS..... Can we put one???? No D-C connection on the bike???

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
There's no DC plug on the bike, however Garmin sells a power cord that can be wired direct to your battery. If you have the know how, I didn't, you can connect it through the ignition, so it only powers the unit when the key is turned on. Otherwise you have to unplug the power cord from the GPS when not in use.

·
Registered
85 Posts
There's no DC plug on the bike, however Garmin sells a power cord that can be wired direct to your battery. If you have the know how, I didn't, you can connect it through the ignition, so it only powers the unit when the key is turned on. Otherwise you have to unplug the power cord from the GPS when not in use.
Merci!:thumb:

BTW.... is is to indiscrete to ask you how you paid for the 400r? Mine was 6295.00 ( before taxes)

·
Registered
125 Posts
My dad has a Garmin nüvi on his CBR. Ill post a pic tomorrow. He also has a mount for his phone. Both are RAM mounts.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey everyone!

Winston here from Ottawa Ontario. This forum seemed to have the largest presence of 400R owners so I joined up!

How I acquired my motorcycle (scroll down for tl;dr)

About two months ago I got a promotion at work and I decided to use my extra income to buy a motorcycle. I've been looking around a couple of months prior and knew that I wanted a green 2011 Ninja 400R. Within the hour of receiving the promotion I was at the dealer getting all the paperwork signed. Everything was good to go with the exception of getting my insurance sorted out.

That night I went out to a local bar and saw a green 400R pull up across the street. I went and talked to the rider for about ten minutes about the bike and how he liked it. At the end of the conversation he told me that he's moving to Europe at the end of the month and his motorcycle has been listed on Kijiji for about a month and he's having trouble finding a buyer. We exchanged contact information.

The bought it the next morning when I sobered up. It had been dropped by him in the past but the damage was minimal. I got at a bargain!

tl;dr: Promotion. Bought a bike at a dealership. Found the same model while waiting in line at the bar that night. Bought the cheap one.

My gear

Questions I have
  1. Has anyone here attached a GPS to their 400R? Can you give me some tips?
  2. I'm thinking about getting a camera to record my rides. Any suggestions?
  3. Does anyone know of any good places to get modifications for the 400R and maybe recommend a couple?
MODS:

Definitely look for a muffler, i got Arrow muffler from 650r and I like my green rim pinstriping...

I order from EuroCorsa in Toronto. Coming soon to my bike are green aluminum grips and levers...

Have a look:

Arrow muffler

Pinstriped rims

1nomuffler~ninja400r - YouTube

1arrow~ninja400r - YouTube

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow, very good! Thanks for posting this. Do you see a difference in HP? Or just in sound? The muffler was 500$ ??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GPSCity or GPS Central have good prices, both are in Canada and ship. Get a motorcycle specific unit so you can use it with gloves on.
I never even thought of that. Thanks for the tip! Motorcycle GPS units sure are a lot more expensive. I'll need to save up for one over the winter it looks like.

you can connect it through the ignition, so it only powers the unit when the key is turned on.
This actually sounds superior. Did you follow a guide to do this or was it very straightforward with the parts in front of you?

Good, almost the same has me...what about you Winston? :whistling:
I bought mine used and it was previously dropped so I got it very cheap. Price too low to list ;)

Thanks for the post! Excellent albums and videos. I'm in love with the sound of my Ninja currently so I don't think I'll be doing anything to the muffler. I DID however just finish adding rim tape to it. I'll post pictures soon!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts