Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello there,

I'm new to the forum. I actually ran into this forum because I saw something about speakers being installed on a ninja 250r and thought this looks like a good forum with plenty of non-warranty-destroying ideas for my 09 ninja 250r ;)

Today I said to myself "chris, grow some in between the legs and get rid of the snorkel"
Not a huge mod or anything like that, just something simple that's shown to grab maybe 1 or 2 hp more. while I had the sides off of my bike, I noticed a nice black widow chilling under the seat and above the battery. Not cool. I hate spiders. Naturally, I get the hose (im not putting my hand anywhere close to the mofo) and I start spraying down the bike, making sure to get the eight-legged bastard waiting to bit me in the ***.

Well I finally get the job done with snorkel removed and I start the bike to see if it sounds any different (it had a deeper sound to it that made me warm on the inside). I kill the power. All is good.

I then decide, I wonder how loud it is when the muffler is off. I proceed to take it off, listen to the very loud results and then replace it. I turned on the bike for min to make sure it sounded right again and it did. All is still good.

I finally get all the sides and seats back on and I tried to start the bike to get a heart wrenching result. The bike won't start. It just makes a rapid clicking noise. So I open her back up. I try the ignition a few times and it sounds like it's coming from the area right in front of the battery where the plug for the panel and the 30 amp fuse are located. Naturally I take it off and check the fuse which looks fine and in tact. But when I try to start it again, it still makes the clicking noise.

Does anyone know what I did?! and How to fix it?! Did I ruin something when hosing down the inside??

Thank you for any help. and despite the horrible circumstances of my first post, I look forward to being a member of this awesome forum and I can't wait to try out some of the things I've seen so far!

EDIT: I got her started again after some drying and battery charging. so this post is back to just being Hello!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Welcome to NewNinja Chris! Going to need some pics of the bike, get 'em posted! Glad to hear that you got the bike started again. Usually a clicking sound is a dead battery. As for the snorkel removal...you won't see 1hp from that. Do you have plans to shim your needles or re-jet the bike down the road (see: http://www.newninja.com/forums/f98/shimming-the-needles-3703.html)

These ninjas are super lean, removing the snorkel will only further lean out the bike.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
nicely done! Yea, I as going to say it's your battery that's gone down (Maybe you left the bike on while putting the fairings back on?). Glad you got it figured out, and welcome!

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Welcome Chris!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
pictures of my bike per request! on the left side I have some scratches from a spill that thankfully did minor damage. I replaced the left handlebar along with the mirror and turn signal but the fairing is scratched up a decent bit. Just haven't dropped the money for a new one.

I attached them instead of putting them in the post because they were huge. Do pictures automatically get re-sized when posted?

Also, in response to the snorkel removal, why do I keep seeing people doing it? Are their advantages that I am unaware of? Disadvantages? Essentially I'm wondering if I should be replacing that right away before riding or if it would be fine, just no performance increase?

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Bike looks good! Sorry to hear about the damage to your fairing. I'm the 3rd owner of my bike. Was dropped twice by the previous owner and dinged mine up too. I got lucky on ebay with a used fairing. I still have hairline cracks in both fairings.

Also, in response to the snorkel removal, why do I keep seeing people doing it? Are their advantages that I am unaware of? Disadvantages? Essentially I'm wondering if I should be replacing that right away before riding or if it would be fine, just no performance increase?
You're not going to see any performance gains by removing the snorkel without adjusting the fuel mixture. The 250 ninjas are jetted lean from the factory, meaning that the stock air/fuel ratio is more air than fuel. This leads to higher fuel efficiency, but a loss in power.

Removing the snorkel allows even more air, further leaning out your bike. While this won't necessarily harm your bike under load, you're going to notice probably worse performance in that you'll blip the throttle and go nowhere, or crank the throttle and the bike will hesitate.

If you want an actual performance gain, you need to increase both the air and the fuel. If you feel up to it (I'm not sure how mechanical you are) you can pull the tank off and toss some shims (small washers) under your needles, which will allow more fuel. Pull the snorkel then and you should see a gain. Not necessarily in horsepower, but the bike will be alot smoother.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the fast response. I gave it more thought and I feel a little bit ridiculous for not thinking about the effects of increasing the AFR.

After reading the shimming topic all the way through, it seems that it would be the perfect solution for my bike. Not much power gain, but overall it seems most loved the new feel of the bike. Maybe I can get past 30mph without getting high in second. I'm pretty decent mechanically speaking so I think I'm going to give shimming a shot. I just need to wait a couple weeks for my schedule to clear up.

I would like to get either a new slip on or full exhaust system soon and I think the shimming will be a must when that happens. I just need to figure out between slip on or full.

Thanks again for the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.