Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there is any downside to riding with both headlights on during the day? (not talking about other bikers looking at you funny, "dude you have both your headlights on", "yeah, I know")

I have been riding with both on all the time lately, didn't used to. Now I do it because I mainly ride early morning and of course at dusk/night and it's better to do so that you are more easily seen by the cagers. And being seen is the most important part. One of my friends said he does it for the same reason. That it makes you more easily seen so why not, it makes sense to me.

But is having both lights on all the time going to affect your battery like draining the charge?

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
The last two weeks, I've been riding day and night with both on. Here in Australia our lights are fixed on (single headlight), not sure if its law over there, is here... in two weeks (about 400miles) I've been flashed twice by other drivers...

I cant see it being an issue... I'm sure someone will be along with more info soon :D

Felix

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's pretty much standard that one headlight is on all the time everywhere. (built right in to the bike)

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I don't think I would ride with the high beam on . first of all it blinds oncoming traffic and is distracting to people in front of you .

But that being said I have had a number of people tell me one of my headlights is out .

When I first lowered my bike the rear went down more than the front so my lights pointed up . I got flashed a couple times before I realised it and adjusted then down .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hadn't thought about blinding drivers, I was thinking that the two headlights were the same. So is one alot brighter than the other (for night driving) ?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Not brighter both use a h7 bulb but the right one is a high beam and the reflector had a higher more focused beam than the left.
I don't think they are adjustable separately.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Like darkhorse said they are not separately adjustable.When adjusting one down the other will go down in proportion.Adjust the high beam 1st to fall on road in 100 meters.The low beam will then be about right.In std setting the low beam will shine the tree tops and high beam will blind oncomming planes.Ha ha

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you take a look at the bulbs, the right one is pointed more straight.

I ride with my high beams on all the time during the day. When my bike sat standard (not lowered in the front like it is), I used to get flashed all the time even when I had my low beam on. Now it's dropped in the front and I haven't had an issue at all.

·
Registered
256 Posts
i have to say, ive been blinded by TONS of SUVs with just their normal lights on, cause they are super HID and right in my eyes. its aggravating for sure. i dont ride with my high beams on all the time, but i think if you feel you would be safer, do it. you being seen is more important than a cager having to squint :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jesus is coming (video), wow that's ridiculously bright.

I would say if your headlights are adjusted properly, why would it matter if you rode with both on in the daytime because you do it at night. Are you saying it's ok to blind drivers at night and not during the day?

·
Registered
256 Posts
its common courtesy not to roll with your highs on if there is oncoming traffic. at least, that is what i was taught. hi beams are for roads at night when noone is coming, so you can go blazing down back-country roads

·
Registered
256 Posts
like i said... its different for us bikers... a cager has 2+ tons of crash material. we dont. better to be safe than sorry, etc etc

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
During the day, brights all the way..

During the night, bright all the way, unless you're following somebody close (less than 40ft), or on coming traffic 100ft away... Keep in mind, if you blind them, and they can't see the road, they might run into you head-on.... Intentionally or not.. I try to put myself in their shoes....

Would I want a bike riding my ass at night with 14 bajillion lumens giving me a suntan....

Or, would I want to be forced to keep my hands steady and pray I don't run off the road or hit the bike when it's coming at me....

Yes, there is such a thing as being "too noticeable".

Call each situation individually. Be courteous, be kind, but don't take no shit from nobody..

·
Registered
277 Posts
Spooph said what I didn't have time to in the first post. Too many times I second guess whether a vehicle has their brights on in the morning, and when they get within ~150 feet of me, it's blinding. At that point, I hang on to the steering wheel and hope I get by them without a loud bang and a sudden lurch of the vehicle.

Click your brights off when you see an oncoming vehicle. Most people get the hint and hit theirs too.

Speaking of lights and night riding... New post!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I ride my bike on high beam all the time during the day.makes me more noticable.i dont think you may blind anybody with your light during the day. i really dont like night driving as my sight is not perfect (got to wear contact lenses). but if I do ride then I turn high beam on if nobody is ahead of me within 200-300 feet ( 60-100 meters) if i approach somebody then I turn it off. whats about oncoming traffic its high beam on separate highways with rails...if not separated I have to turn the low beam when oncoming car is ahead of me within the same 200-300 feet (60-100 meters)
i think that this is something about caution and politeness

1 - 17 of 17 Posts