Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting an HCI retro helmet for around town riding. I know I know, why an open face helmet? I like the open air and being able to hear everything. Does anyone wear anything else other than a full faced?

Being from Illinois, about 10% of people actually wear helmets. I admit, I was one of em until I did a front flip over my handlebars outside of Wienershnitzel.

The HCI Retro seems pretty sweet. No giant mushroom head and a lot of good reviews online. They are not selling them again until spring, but what do you guys think about a cafe racer helmet for a ninja?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I like them except for one thing. I would need to wear goggles over my eyeglasses. It's not easy to find cool goggles which can fit over them. Prescription lenses for the goggles are also expensive. And also I got hit on the cheek once by a big black bug. I was on a Hodaka going about 35 MPH. Astoundingly painful. Where did you find them for sale?

IMHO the only cool helmet look for a ninja is with a full face helmet and a faceshield which hides the identity of the rider. It's a "fully modern" take. Thats just me.
Sleepy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Personally I not worried about identity and this was not meant to be anything against your opinion Sleepy. Rather I ride a lot. I have had several objects whether they are rocks, chunks of the road or just big f-ing bugs hit me. My Shoei RF1000 looks like the front of tractor trailer during August. I like the protection; of which is why you need good gloves also. Another reason for a full face helmet is if you’re to use a tinted visor, the reduction in reflection from the road is huge when riding a lot.
Think of it this way, you don't want to eat soup out of your helmet right? So, why would you not want to protect your head from looking like a can of soup that was just opened upon impact? I have destroyed two helmets in my lifetime and I cannot begin to tell you the importance of good comfortable and safe gear. Don't let fashion take precedence over quality and safety.
Safe riding..
Joe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a recall notice for these HCI retro helmets. It seems they don't give enough protection.
Sleepy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya I did a bit of research on them and talked to a guy who contacted HCI about the problem. He said something like a few helmets in one shipment failed a test so they recalled everything to be safe. But are fixing the problem, having the gov. check them and reselling in the spring.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hellvetica said:
ya I did a bit of research on them and talked to a guy who contacted HCI about the problem. He said something like a few helmets in one shipment failed a test so they recalled everything to be safe. But are fixing the problem, having the gov. check them and reselling in the spring.
Oh I see. Well let us know how you like it, etc.
Sleepy

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I'm with ya Felix... The Guzzi is beautiful, and a half helmet like the HCI really requires a bike like that... IMO the HCI would look a little funny on a ninja....

and here's the MSF's take on helmets: http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/helmet_CSI.pdf

Personally, I will never sport a half-helmet, and once I get a cafe bike, a 3/4 with old-school WWII fighter pilot goggles will be the norm for summer.

Regardless, the HCI still looks sweet! I'd wear it to football practice.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Personally I'd go with a full face just because it offers so much more protection. Nobodyll look at you funny for riding a sick sports bike with a full face helmet.

Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ya just sayin I would never wear a helmet like that. lol Looks to much like a helmet like somebody would wear on a scooter. Just sayin. Plus with a full face helmet and a mirrored shield the girls cant see you looking at them. haha

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'd ride with a mankini and a skull cap'n'goggles if it were A.) legal B.)Mankini fit properly and B.) Road wasn't full of wankers like the one I filmed today.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeah it's too bad, those retro helmets really look great on folks sittin' on bikes that aren't moving ! But meanwhile, back in the real world where most of us live, a full-face helmet is a must. Personally, I swear by my ARAI. I go for the heavy smoked visor, it seems to make cagers uncomfortable ;D

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
4,853 Posts
Brain Buckets:

Because when you wreck real bad and the medical examiner scoops you up your brains dont spill out and remain in the helmet lol.

Seriously though, probably the worst design for a helmet ever made. I have all the polaroids' to back that up too seeing as I'm a son of a retired medical examiner. Every dead motorcyclist with a helmet like that has the top of their head smashed in. God only knows why DOT still approves those things. I'd take a full-faced any day of the week.

·
Registered
21 Posts
virtualmatrix258 said:
Brain Buckets:

Because when you wreck real bad and the medical examiner scoops you up your brains dont spill out and remain in the helmet lol.

Seriously though, probably the worst design for a helmet ever made. I have all the polaroids' to back that up too seeing as I'm a son of a retired medical examiner. Every dead motorcyclist with a helmet like that has the top of their head smashed in. God only knows why DOT still approves those things. I'd take a full-faced any day of the week.
Because the DOT only approves the construction of the helmet, not the design. In Indiana and Florida there is seat belt law but no helmet law. More rocket science.

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
4,853 Posts
Actually it was just changed, if you have insurance covering bodily injury you can ride without a helmet and vice versa. That was just passed through less than a year ago though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts