Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked and haven't been able to find any hard bags for the new Ninja 250. Givi.it has nothing for it.

Anyone got a link or know a company?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
scgeneral, I do not have a link or a company, but I do have an idea....

On my last trip, I discovered the ninja's seat isn't very solid, and although Boar's execution seems to be holding up better than mine, with everything I had loaded on the bike, it seemed to wobble quite a bit... So I'm thinking the next design will have straps bolted to the sub-frame under the passenger seat, and clips on the luggage.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Spooph's right, the seat is not as solid as a mount should be to hold touring luggage. The box I have mounted is 26L, rated for about 20 pounds of contents. I've had it for about a year and it's working great for me. But, I only carry my lunch and maybe a change of clothes or pair of shoes for commutting to work. For tour riding, I've only done day long trips where I carry some food/water, camera, gorilla-pod, map, hat and glasses, maybe rain gear, at the most.

For a long haul, especially with camping gear, the seat mount is likely not enough. It only mounts to the bike with a plastic tab at the rear and the locking post at the front. I added two rubber stoppers so the the seat base presses firmly to the top of the two subframe tubes, and that seems to eliminate the wobble side to side pretty well (for the size of loads I carry.)

I have been looking at making a mount for the subframe too, it has a lot of potential for bolting on frame work that could support both saddle bags and a top case. I'd like to hear your ideas about that Spooph.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
right oh, so I didn't take pictures of what I'm about to describe, because it was an abysmal failure, but let me try and describe it:

I had tried tying on a massive tank bag to the passenger seat, with a tent, sleeping pad and sleeping pad strapped to it. I found the seat to bend upward, and wobble. I tried to fix this by building "wings", which bolted to the sub frame.... They were dangerous and just a bad idea to begin with.... Another factor is also the ninjette's hips, which are quite wide, and although sexy, difficult to deal with when strapping on bags....

What I ended up with, is an idea, yet to be executed, of using 1" wide webbing, with regular snaps you can buy form a camping store, and bolting 2 straps to each side, to be clipped into the soft luggage when it's on the bike. When the luggage is not on the bike, it will just hide underneath the seat/cowl, and the straps will stay bolted to the subframe... You could use this system for hard luggage as well, by simply bolting webbing with the appropriate snaps to the luggage, and then strapping it to the seat...

Why do I think this would be best? Because it's easy to remove the luggage, it's secure (weight wise), it's just not secure, security wise, BUT it also allows one to have a passenger seat, which is nice when traveling... :p Once could always add on a cable/chain to add some security....

As I get around to this this winter, I'll be posting up some of it. If somebody beats me to it, cool!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts