Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I read an interesting review of HID conversion kits from some technical experts. It was very informative, but I don't have the link anymore. What it said basically was this:

Don't get an HID conversion kit unless it comes with the projector housing. Simply putting HID bulbs in your stock halogen lighting assembly is a bad idea, and it's illegal. Due to the different projection pattern and filament/bulb axis the HID's will blind other drivers. Which is why true HID's are mounted in projector lenses that focus the light beam so as to not blind other drivers and still provide a bright focused beam.

If you want to upgrade your lights save yourself a lot of money and go with some new bulbs designed for your stock halogen lighting assemby like the following:

http://www.luminicsdirect.com/Luminics-HeadlightBulbApp-H7.htm

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Who cares if you blind the other drivers? At least they see you! Lol, JK. That is a good point, but light is light, I don't see how it would go anywhere but where the reflectors put it? Interesting though...has anyone installed one of these kits?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The toyota prius comes with HIDs and no projector, I think it just had to do with how you aim it. I agree that badly aimed HIDs are dangerouse though, I hate it when people do that even if its regular bulbs. Thats usually the point where i bust out a CD and aim the light right back in there face, this usually makes them get the point,

·
Registered
53 Posts
The prius and acuras and others that have HIDs w/o projectors have special reflectors made for the HIDs. Halogen housings spread the light more bc there are less lumens to work with. Thats why good conversion kits come with shields that prevent too much light from hitting the bottom of the reflector. Aims it all towards the top of the reflector so it concentrates the light down. Kind of what the cutoff on projectors do. If u put the kit in halogen projectors it causes glare too. The cutoffs arent right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
its just a plug in and play i bought mine off ebay get h7 type bulbs thats the kind that the ninja takes and when u order u get two which is low beam and high beam... i leave my high beam on all the time no problems with anyone yet... and its just a plug in and play... these are 8k bulbs

·
Registered
53 Posts
Kind of. The halogen reflectors are made to spread light out more. The HID reflectors are made to produce a focused beam. W/O the focused beam u r just shooting light every which way. Thats the glare that others see. Thats why if u put them in halogen housings u have to either aim them as far down as possible, or put shields on the bottoms of the bulbs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
W/O the right cutoffs or reflectors u cant focus the beam like it should be for maximum light. If u slap them in a reg halogen housing it will make a huge difference, but most of the light is scattered. Thats the glare people see. If the bulbs come with a shield on the bottom of the bulb it will project the light upwards. Therefore, the light will be concentrated toward the ground, and not scattered everywhere.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I read that same article that Sagacity read (or at least one that was similar) HOWEVER, i read another article that disputed the article. It basically said thats the article is half right. A lot of the older style HID's had to be projected through a projector but many companies have developed methods to use an HID without a projector. It uses the same idea as many halogen bulbs. They put a shield in front of the bulb to reflect all the light to the back of the headlight housing. HID's dont reflect any different then a standard halogen. There are many cars out there that dont come with HID's standard (i.e. Prius, Lexus and Toyota SUV's, Escalade, Mercedes, Acuras, Mini Coooper, etc.) They do NORMALLY use only one headlight housing design whether its HID or not. Idk if any of this makes sense, its getting late.
I thought motorcycle riders are concerned about being seen... HID's are perfect for that.

-Sean

·
Registered
53 Posts
Like I said before, they have special reflectors. All of them use either a d2r or d2s bulb in the stock setups. The reason they work in a stock prius, escalade, etc with a seemingly similar housing as a halogen is bc of the reflectors. Thats why HID kits come with shields now to try and get rid of some of the glare.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts