Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Just picked up my new (second hand) Ninja 650 (2012 model) today.
It's got after market pipes and I noticed on the ride home that they pop a bit, pretty sure there was even one backfire. This seemed to happen when I throttled off.
I'm coming from riding cruisers and I think I was riding this more like a cruiser....around 3k rpm which a mate tells me is all wrong and should be around 5-6k.
Any thoughts or suggestions on these issues?

Cheers

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Hi guys

Just picked up my new (second hand) Ninja 650 (2012 model) today.
It's got after market pipes and I noticed on the ride home that they pop a bit, pretty sure there was even one backfire. This seemed to happen when I throttled off.
I'm coming from riding cruisers and I think I was riding this more like a cruiser....around 3k rpm which a mate tells me is all wrong and should be around 5-6k.
Any thoughts or suggestions on these issues?

Cheers
I have the same bike.
I run it all the time at 3-4 grand....
Runs fine there n never pops....
It's the exhaust popping....
How many miles?
I have a stock exhaust tho....
Maybe the Ghost will come on and tell u more.....:thumb:

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Thats like no miles at all....
I'm betting it's just the exhaust ur hearing.
Aftermarket exhaust are quite empty compared to stock, so...
Ur gunna hear every little thing in there.
Maybe ur gunna need a better air filter to let everything breath better?
Like a new Hurricane filter like I just installed in my bike.

http://hurricanerp.com/model_detail/13796/HM-8107

U may end up needing one of them power commander thingies to tho with all this extra breathing going on?

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Thanks.

Sounds expensive lol

Sent from my iPad using New Ninja
Filter is on sale right now for like 45 bucks.
shipping mite be 10ish...
Them power commanders are i guess 400-500....
I have stock exhaust, so haven't had to go that route yet.
The Hurricane air filter made quite a diff tho.
:dance: :dance: :dance:

·
1,458 Posts
This has been a very common topic lately. You have allowed by installing a new pipe for the engines air fuel ratio to change in a way that is more than the ecu can compensate for. Its getting more air than fuel thus causing a pop. However if the exhaust wAs put on and has a leak. That to can cause a pop. Check all the exhaust connections. If they are all tight. You may need to look into a fuel controller. Power commander or most commonly talked about this week the tfi controller. However if your going to spend money on that u might as well change the air filter too. And get the best bang for you buck. Hope this helps

·
1,458 Posts
Sorry and to address the issue again if your getting popping its because the bikes air fuel is off. Changing the filter will only hurt it more if you dont put a fuel control module on. Power commanders run from 250 up. Popping coming out of the throttle is not as bas as when the bike shutters, jutters, shakes , or shimmies. While power is applied. Hell mine even with all the hp improvements a fuel mapping on the ama bike pops. Too much air movement through the motor without compensating for fuel causes the pop. Just clearing that up

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
byte2022 said:
Sorry and to address the issue again if your getting popping its because the bikes air fuel is off. Changing the filter will only hurt it more if you dont put a fuel control module on. Power commanders run from 250 up. Popping coming out of the throttle is not as bas as when the bike shutters, jutters, shakes , or shimmies. While power is applied. Hell mine even with all the hp improvements a fuel mapping on the ama bike pops. Too much air movement through the motor without compensating for fuel causes the pop. Just clearing that up
Cheers

Looks like I'm up for spending more money on this bike then. Would have preferred standard pipes at this rate but beggars can't be choosers when buying second hand i guess. Besides I got a pretty good deal on the bike so can't complain.

Thanks again all for your help. I have no idea about bikes mechanically.

Sent from my iPad using New Ninja

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a 650r, and on that bike, an aftermarket pipe was one of the first add-ons, because the stock makes it sound like an air compressor!

The PC-4 is all you need. Adds 5-6hp once the fuel ratio is good. Most pipes give that twin a bit of a Harley twin rumble without the v-twin shake.

Good starter bike for your first year or two.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Earl - Should I have paid someone to put on my slip-on? Might have been pricey tho...:dance::dance::whistling:
If u got the tools n the ability... i'd do it yourself.
Any $$$ u save doing things urself is $$$ u can use 4 other stuff...
My theory..
Things i'm not sure about i let a dealer do....
That be engine/ tranny stuff myself....
N i don't have a lot 4 tools....:facepalm:
But i'm buying some slowley...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.