Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been telling myself for about 3 years (maybe longer), "As soon as you pay off your credit card, you can buy a motorcycle." Nothing fancy, nothing too big or spendy. Well, I paid off my credit card this week so I'm definitely shopping. I'm gonna go look at a 250 this weekend and have decided the 250 is probably the perfect bike for my first. I have motorbiked through Vietnam but none of them were ever clutch bikes, just basically glorified scooters.

I'm looking to spend roughly $2k and start out slow with basic commuting between work and home (5-10 minute ride through main arterials). Maybe quick jaunts on the highway to go to the mall. Basic errands. Eventually, I'd like to ride the 101 Pacific Highway (leisurely) with a tent on the back of the bike. DH isn't interested but likes that I have a hobby.

I'm leaning toward a Scorpion helmet, registering for a MSC end of May and renting a UHaul trailer to bring my bike home behind my Subaru. Potential seller and I are gonna take the bike to a shop and have them give it the once over for any major plot thickeners. I've done some work on my car and am very interested in the idea of working on my bike, at least for basic things like oil, sparkplugs and whatnot. Not signing up for someone else's money pit.

I definitely recognize the need to buy used; I never buy anything new and I am sure I will be dropping the bike in the driveway. :whistling:

I have a few other friends who are in the process of learning to ride so I hope I have some buddies (albeit in Seattle) to learn the ropes with. Maybe in a few seasons, I'll upgrade to a 500 but I think I'm really sold on the "learning" aspect of the 250.

· Registered
60 Posts
Welcome aboard! Lots of great information on NN. I think a used bike is the way to go also at least that is what worked for us. Good luck and remember to post pictures when you get your bike......... We love pictures!!!!

· Registered
1,438 Posts
Hey cassandraj, welcome to NN! You're off to a great start planning things out, and you'll find all the info you could ever want to know about your 250 right here. Good luck with your course and bike hunting!

· Registered
5,699 Posts
Now that's a woman with her head solidly screwed on! Good for you! You are a woman, right? Otherwise this post is going to be very embarrassing!

Also, welcome to NN! Glad to have you here.. And yes, pics of the bike when you get it, and even better, pics of the odyssey to get it home would also be enjoyed.... :) Welcome to the family!

Per chance, have you served in the armed forces?

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spooph: I'm a lady. No armed history.

Signed up for MSC 6/1!! I can't wait. Turns out my Subaru needs trailer wiring to carry a trailer. Plot thickener!

· Registered
52 Posts
I'm mostly a daily commuter in all kinds of weather. Got an overnight ride planned for early June. Been riding about two months and have ridden about 1400 miles. So far so excellent!

I have a bicycle racing/commuting background so I was pretty comfy with traffic once I took the Team O class and got the hang of the controls.

You?

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no experience really. just enthusiasm. :D

living in southeast. gonna ride to work (2 mi or so) whenever the weather is good. you know, like 2x a year...

I have a separate thread on licensing and stuff...how long has it been since you've gotten endorsed? I am curious about all the fees.

· Registered
207 Posts
Sorry for my delay but Welcome to the site Cassandra! Sounds like your getting everything in order for your new bike. I'm excited for ya! I read that ya need a wiring harness for ya Subaru, out of curiosity which model do ya have? I've owned 2 Impreza outback sports. An '04(may she rest in piece) and an '11.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my subaru is a 98 forester. we just did an engine swap out to a 2.2 a month or two ago. she's gonna live forever!

I installed a hitch receiver myself (welllll, my bf did, technically) for a j-shaped bike rack that never materialized. wiring and the pin/drop down was $100 @ uhaul, plus the trailer itself is $15/day. took about a half hour. I leave electrical to the pros.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.