Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm not sure if anybody would be interested in this mod, but it is a mod, and a mod to my 250 non-the less. Instead of finishing up the luggage racks for the Loser tonight, my dad and I decided to install an APRS system onto the bike. It allows somebody to track me using GPS coordinates, if they know where to look - no, I'm not just gonna give that information up... :p

How it works: It uses a dedicated transmitter to send GPS coordinates, from a GPS receiver, to a network of repeaters (massive radios on high places) and then plots the coordinates on a map.

It will come in handy during Felix and I's trip, cause you just log onto the webpage and search for me... :p

To be able to do this, you have to get a Technician class Amateur Radio license (ie - HAM), get a transmitter/transceiver with a serial port, a GPS with a serial/com port, and an antenna. Check it out, massive nerdyness.... :D :D :D

First, I drilled a guiding hole for the antenna wire in the old mirror block-off plates. This is where the antenna will be mounted...

Then I fabbed a new block-off plate with the antenna mount cut into it. This was the third and final attempt...

Then we reinforced the block-off plate/antenna mount with some aluminium soldier for strength....

And located a wire to hook the power into. I wanted the rig to only run when the bike was turned on, and being that it never ever pulls more than 2Amps, I thought I'd just piggyback it on one of the 3 (Seriously Kawasaki???), Tail light circuits hooked into the ignition...

This is the actual transmitter. Not a transceiver, because it can only broadcast, and not receive. It was shipped in the little plastic housing, which we used as it's weather proofing case. The tape you see on the end is self-vulcanizing tape. Basically rubber tape that gels together after applied, and hardens slightly over time. Pretty freakin cool stuff!

The antenna connector

The serial connector used to program the transmitter with a computer, and also the input for the GPS signal. Pardon me, but I forgot to take a pic of the GPS receiver, but I mounted it underneath the windshield, right at the front of the bike for the best view of satellites... We'll see how this view gets distorted in the canyons when I start laying the bike on it's side... ;D ;D ;D

The voltage regulator which provides a clean, non-wavering 12V to the transmitter, and no stinking 13.8....

The initial antenna mount

Soldering the antenna cable

The transmitter mounted to the front fairing main stay. It's starting to get crowded underneath there with the HID igniter and such also crammed in underneath. Not to mention the crazy wire running all over the place...

And the other side, the voltage regulator

And everything put back together all purdy like... My bike is now radio-active... LMAO.... Oh, nerd humor... ::)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Hey spooph, did you hear about the wedding where the satellite dish married the antenna? The ceremony was boring but the reception was incredible!

Groan.

But, cool mod. Your bike looks so good with those bar end mirrors.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Love it!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boar, that's some funny stuff! I guess only us Nerds enjoy it, eh? :D

And Delta, yes, I've already had a few people freak out, thinking I'm the copper. I just laugh and drive on by... :p

·
Registered
656 Posts
nice. couldn't you have used a cheap gps that has a 12volt adapter that supports tracking instead?

I like your 'im not tailgating im drafting' that's pretty creative!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Bar end mirrors. Which look awesome, in part because they are so subtle. Point just proven I think.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did I stutter, or does your reading comprehension just suck? :p just joking Audi....

spooph said:
But I think my whole setup cost like $35....
Felix, nope, not yet.

Boar nailed the mirrors!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh wow, totally forgot I did this... lol. I've since removed the whole setup. I never tested the better antennas, I just wanted my bike to be sleek again... Maybe next time I'd wire the antenna off the back.... We'll see.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts