Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The gear shifter on my bike started sticking whenever I shift up or down. I have to nudge it back to the center position almost every time.
Any suggestions / recommendations?

Thanks,

Boris.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That should do it.
Just took the linkage off, cleaned and oiled the back pivot point.
Works like a charm now.

G

·
does anybody bike ever get a gear stuck iv had that happen to me a few times now ill sometimes up fist a few gears ( like skip 4-5 gear) and ill cruise when then when i wanna shift to another gear it wont let me ill tap it and tap it but nothing ill have to turn the bike off and turn it back on and then it will go sometimes happen in N also ill put it in first and then the light wont change and then ill go into N then i try and make it go into first and it wont wanna go into it, anybody have that problem, maybe i gotta take it to yami and get it check out

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
R6S_2NR said:
does anybody bike ever get a gear stuck iv had that happen to me a few times now ill sometimes up fist a few gears ( like skip 4-5 gear) and ill cruise when then when i wanna shift to another gear it wont let me ill tap it and tap it but nothing ill have to turn the bike off and turn it back on and then it will go sometimes happen in N also ill put it in first and then the light wont change and then ill go into N then i try and make it go into first and it wont wanna go into it, anybody have that problem, maybe i gotta take it to yami and get it check out
On an R6 why would you need to skip gears? Your bike is all digital and it might be a safty thing with the bikes computer. Im not sure. I got an R6 in my garage, ill check it out tomorrow.

G

·
cool thanks stockwall, nah i skip gears sometime when i run my bike hard ill slam first and second and then im at the speed limit why go through all the gears i just skip it all the way to sixth and cruise..get it? i dont like to go though all my gears if im just riding sometimes i dont need too ill be riding go first second third and ill go right into sixth sometimes no need to go into fouth and fifth just waste clutch i think, clutchless shifting is cool but sometimes ill miss and ill be like damn so i always use my clutch much smoother

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I'll have to post some pictures of the inside of the transmission (yep, I got an engine I'm tearing apart!). If you see how it works you can understand how hard it would be to break one (at least under stock power). The design is VERY simple and straight-forward. I'm glad your problem was easily fixed boris.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
R6, when's the last time you had an oil change? My shifter gets really harsh after about 1500 miles, so I do an oil change every 1500.... Also, something to keep in mind, and you might want to look up manual/sequential transmissions on howstuffworks.com: when you skip gears like that the RPM's drop significantly right? which means you're using more of the bike's torque than horsepower, which means it's really binding up those gears (not a bad thing, it just is).

Try giving it a quick blip to raise the RPM's maybe 2-500 then quickly back off the throttle while you pull in the clutch... This will free up the gears and "float" them, so when you engage they should still be spinning plenty to shift, but not be caught on one another. Give it a shot, let me know.

·
Registered
633 Posts
i do my oil change every 2 to 3 k miles and it runs fine my gears only get stcuk when i down shift.... ill be riding and suddently i have to stop so ill get into the breaks and pull in the clutch and it will go down maybe 1 gear or two but then it gets stuck ill keep tapping it and it wont go down a gear ill come to a full stop on like 4th gear and ill let the clutch out a bit till i feel her move then i put the clutch in and then it will let me downshift or up shift to any gear its weird i need to ask the dealer about that!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
R6, feel free to ask the dealer, but I'm willing to bet you I know what he's going to say:

It's normal... You have a light, high revving engine, which means parts stop spinning very quickly... When you have your clutch pulled, parts stop spinning in your transmission, which means gears can't mesh, which means you can't shift... Once you let out the clutch, it spins things up enough to line up the teeth on the gears and thus you can shift again... Let me know what he says.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts