Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

Gear ratio upgrade for more speed?

32K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  earlthepearl 
#1 ·
I have the new ninja 300 and want more speed out of the 115 max I've heard it go up to. How do I increase it with my sprockets? Is it more teeth or less?

#4 · (Edited)
What RPM is it running at 115? You need to look at a dyno chart and see where it's running vs where the power peak is.

If you are past the power peak. gearing up (reducing teeth on the rear or adding on the front) may get you more top end.

If you haven't reached the power peak at that speed, gearing up won't get you more. At that point you are running up against an amount of aero drag that the power can't overcome. In that case, gearing down may get you more top end.

If you do gear up to get more top speed, but you'll feel a loss of acceleration. You will also drop your highway cruise RPM.

If you gear down you'll increase your acceleration and also your cruising RPM.

Jay

#8 ·
Is it worth it?

It all depends if... $20 and 45 minutes of installation time, longer 1st gear, approx 10 extra mph(top end), slightly better mpg and 1000 rpms lower cruising rpms is worth it to you. Also the speedo will read more correctly. In stock form the speedo is off about 3-4 mph. This has been confirmed by GPS to be within 1/2 mile of correctness.

For those who have done it for the Ninja 250, will say it was one of the best mods they've done.

Surprisingly the same 15t front sprocket that fits on the 250 fits on the 300.
P/N# JTF516.15

#6 ·
indyjoe7 said:
Is it worth the trouble? Does it off set the computer or anything else.
Just wondering.
It doesn't seem worth it to be honest .theyre designed to go that fast for a reason and more top end you might be putting additional and unneeded stress on the engine !if you want faster top end get a bigger bike designed to do it ,

#7 ·
morgan46 said:
It doesn't seem worth it to be honest .theyre designed to go that fast for a reason and more top end you might be putting additional and unneeded stress on the engine !if you want faster top end get a bigger bike designed to do it ,
Ya I figured that, I just bought this for a short time to break in and teach my wife on till its paid off to buy a bigger bike. I was jut trying to squeeze something more out of it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.