Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
When you can't shift up anymore, you're in sixth, haha. I do it too much, just making sure it's in there. And the same goes for first, you can't go past first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
MadMax said:
I wanted one awhile back, but was told they only work on fuel injected bikes.
Not really true but may depend on the make of indicator. The one that I have on mine just needed a digital pulse for the speed (already done with my gauge) and the rpm feed. It compairs the 2 and depending on the speed v's rpm ratio gives you the gear. At low speeds takes a little time to update and sometimes gives false readings (I'm guessing because the gears are so close) but was useful when I first started. Now I've riden the bike long enough to know from from the sound / rpm and the speed to know which gear I'm in so never look at the indicator anymore..

http://www.riderstation.com/DG8.php

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sometimes i count gears but most of the time i just memorize what the RPM levels are at for each gear. for instance in town at 30 mph i have it in 3rd gear and is running roughly 6000 RPM's and at 60 MPH its runnin at about 7500 RPM. those are really the only 2 speeds I go since I just commute from town to my house out in the country on those ol county roads.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Matty E said:
I'm in Australia so the same as the US ones (carbs).. As far as I know the only difference between the US and Oz ones are different sprockets..
MattyE,

What sprockets did the Australian versions come out with?

As far as gear indicators, I initially thought I would need one too but now that I am begining to get to know my bike I have a fair idea what gear I am in. I focus more on the RPM than I do the gear selection.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.