Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I know I have not been on here that much but I did happen to get my 2010 ninja 250r last friday and been riding and had no time to post about it. However I need some advice about the gear shifter. When I shift it some times does not shift into the next gear and feel that it's a weak foot that is causing this. However, it feels if I have to move my whole leg and not just my foot to upshift. Is there a way that I can move the stock shifter so that it is easier to shift and no miss shift. Also when warming up my bike I have to ride with the choke on for a long time unless I want to stall when taking off not sure if this is me or the bike as I have no problem after the bike is warm which seems to take forever. Thanks for any infomation and I'm sure that this is posted some where else but thought that I would ask.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
See if this helps: YouTube - Kawasaki Ninja 250 Foot Pedal Adjustments

And what is the average temperature in the morning when you start the bike? How long do you let the bike run to warm up before getting on it and going?

Congrats on the purchase BTW, throw up some pics of you and the bike, eh? Welcome to the riding family!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
...When I shift it some times does not shift into the next gear and feel that it's a weak foot that is causing this. However, it feels if I have to move my whole leg and not just my foot to upshift. Is there a way that I can move the stock shifter so that it is easier to shift and no miss shift.
When shifting up or down, you have to left off of the shift lever a lil' bit after the shift. So shift up, relax the ankle, let the lever naturally drop back down, shift up again. Same thing going down, makes things a lot smoother.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Congrats on the purchase BTW, throw up some pics of you and the bike, eh? Welcome to the riding family!
The tempature outsde is anyware from 32 to 50F and I let it warm up for about 2 to 5mins but it does not seem to help. Is it ok to let the choke stay on full blast untill I feel that is it warm or will that damage the bike as it does make it richer. Oh and she is sexy red in honer of you spooph I will get some pics up soon as she got mudy riding in the rain

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Once the bike is started with the choke fully on, try to slowly get it down to about 2k. If it is real cold it may take a minute or two. Let it idle there until the rpms start to rise (rising rpms is an indication the engine is warming). You can keep it at 2k until you are ready to ride. If you can keep the bike running at 2k you will notice that the choke is almost off. You should be ok to ride a mile or two before taking the choke completely off. When the bike is completely warm it should idle at about 1300-1350 rpm. (1500 rpms in cold weather won't hurt.)

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I second what Ghost said but I have a SLIGHTLY different way of warming up my bike.... let the bike idle on choke until the revs spontaneous increase. Then back the choke off till you're at around 1,500rpm's again. The choke probably won't be out all the way. Let it idle some more until the revs rise again and take out more choke to keep the bike idling at 1,500rpm's... Once it's idling at 1,500rpm's without the choke, it's warm enough to ride. This takes me about 12 minutes in 32F. Less the warmer it gets. At about 60F I don't need to do this at all....

YES, you CAN ride the bike before it's completely warm, but I wouldn't ride it until after the first rise in rpm's with the choke on, just because the throttle is less predictable before that point, and it's very boggy.

Immediately riding a cold bike is kind of like having somebody wake you up from a deep sleep and sitting you down to do algebra with a gun to your head. You just don't want to do it, but you strain otherwise you'll die.... The bike feels the same way. I slowly rolll out of bed, go to the bathroom, and have a cup of coffee before I'm even conscious in the mornings. I let my bike thoroughly slurp it's oil and warm it from within before I take it anywhere in the cold....

·
Registered
42 Posts
What if it won't even turn over? On several occasions I have gone out to warm her up and she won't even turn over. Choke full on, key in On position, she cranks put no turn over. I had even tried turning the throttle ever-so-slightly and she turns over but immediately dies out. Yes, battery is fully charged and is on a battery tender when not use. Full tank of gas.

Other times when I do get her going i wait several min. She revs high, turn down the Choke and get gear on, I then pull out but as I turn the throttle she dies or is about to unless I pull in the clutch, I have found myself everyone in awhile leaving the choke on for a mile or two --- I normally ride my 650R, but my wife's 2011 250R needs to have its legs stretched once in awhile until she gets back in the saddle ;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
What if it won't even turn over? On several occasions I have gone out to warm her up and she won't even turn over. Choke full on, key in On position, she cranks put no turn over. I had even tried turning the throttle ever-so-slightly and she turns over but immediately dies out. Yes, battery is fully charged and is on a battery tender when not use. Full tank of gas.

Other times when I do get her going i wait several min. She revs high, turn down the Choke and get gear on, I then pull out but as I turn the throttle she dies or is about to unless I pull in the clutch, I have found myself everyone in awhile leaving the choke on for a mile or two --- I normally ride my 650R, but my wife's 2011 250R needs to have its legs stretched once in awhile until she gets back in the saddle ;)
trying opening the throttle all the way and starting it WHILE the throttle is open.. i've found that it helps a lot when my bike is being bitchy on occasion

·
Registered
9,088 Posts

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
My new bike this fall was acting a bit weird at idle....:eek:
I was always screwing with the idle adjustment knob..:facepalm:
Everytime i sat at a light i had to change it...:facepalm:
I put in the recommended amount...aprx for the 4 gallons....:whistling:
After a short time that started running the same at idle too.:thumb:
Don't think i'll add it everytime i fill up, but maybe every 6 times i'll add a bit.:thumb::thumb:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.