Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I think a better idea is to buy a new gas cap and housing and do it on that one to see if it works. Then if it is a bust atleast you can still ride.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey guys, i dont know what the first or third deleted images are but the second is just all the parts laid out on the bench. unless you drill through the diaphragm you cant really stuff it. if you want to make sure you dont drill through them a simple idea is just measure the length of the drill bit from the drill chuck to the tip of the drill and cut a piece of small pipe a little shorter than the drill and slip it over the drll it will stop it going to far. anything will do a hollow pen would work it only has to work twice. hope this helps

·
Registered
16 Posts
yeah piece of tape does work for those with a bit of experience but it doesnt stop the drill grabbing and pulling in, with the pipe you cant go any further than what you need to its impossible.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was unaware of this noise issue, as all the bikes i have owned previously have been dirt bikes with air venting pipes in the gas lid.

The first day I had my bike i parked it at home and went inside. I could hear this whining sound, like a disemboweled cat crying. I thought maybe i had run over a cat and it was wedged in my fairing somewhere. i was relieved to find it was just the gas tank and not a dying cat, i didn't feel like cleaning pus-in-boots off my radiator, but then again, i wouldn't have had to buy dinner.......;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I asked my dealer about the noise when I took my bike in for the first service and they said its a known problem on most of the Kawa's but it should go away after a couple of thousand mile. Its the tank vent. Its just small and tight when the bikes are new. Just keep your tank as full as possible so the pressure builds quicker and it will loosen up the vent. A friend of mine has a '06 700 and he said his used to do it but now that he has so many miles on it the noise has stopped. I've got about 1700 and I hardly ever hear it anymore.
Oh, and its 110 here in Texas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What do you guys do when it's squealing in traffic? Do you ever turn off the engine at a red light, undo the gas tank, then start the bike up again, or just live with it?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I just put my hand over the gas cap and it muffles it so you cant hear it. Once you get going the wind noise drowns it out. haha

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree with the posts. This condition is normal. Release the pressure by opening the fuel fill cap. No it wont blow up if you dont.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ahhh... The famous high and sometimes low squel... Scared the shit out of me the first day I got my bike. I was alone (wife and kids were at her old folks house) and I park my bike in the house (best alarm system you can find)... Was somewhere past midnight with all the lights turned off except for the kitchen, where I was cooking up something to eat...when it started to squel.. In a way, I was really relieved it was from my bike...Hahaha... Cheers

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
you basically take apart the gas tank "door" and re-drill through the existing vent holes that aren't big enough.

i think.

search here, and if you can't find it, its gotta be on kawiforums.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts