Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I start up my bike and ride to the gas station because I need to fill up. I turn off the engine and flip up the key guard on the gas tank and slide in the key and...nothing! That's right. Absolutely nothing. It won't turn to open. Slides in just fine but I have a no go on the turning. I turned and turned and turned in hope that I would lodge it loose of whatever was stuck in there. I nearly broke off my key in the gas cap I got so mad. Anyone know how to fix this? Is this going to require me taking off my gas cap all together? I really don't want to do that but if I have to I will. Stupid gas cap. What say ye?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Besides, I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them. I've been there two times and both times I felt like something shady was going on.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Call the dealership that you bought it from and explain the situation. They should have a truck to come pick up your bike and fix it. It sounds like they didn't cut the gas cap slot right.

If you don't fill comfortable with that particular dealership, call a new one I'm pretty sure they would be happy to help.

·
Registered
346 Posts
That sucks, anyone you know has a truck to haul it? You may want to try to take out the hex bolts just to get some gas in it. (yeah it would be a pain in the aussie) I think there is a thread on how to mod your gas cap to keep it fom making that whining noise, that would show you how to take it off. Maybe you can find a better dealer...

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
did you push down carefully with one finger while trying to turn the key? just a little pressure to maybe align the tumbler up. and yes go to a different dealer when you either get gas or a truck.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
found this solution on a yahama forum. googled ninja gas cap won't open: Good luck!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem solved! I got the tank cap open today.

There's a rubber seal around the lock base. I sprayed CRC (pretty much same stuff as WD40) under that seal rather than inside the keyhole. Gave it some time to effect and then turned the key back and forth a few times. And then I finally got the key to turn all the way it should and the cap opened.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i saw that thread also after I posted this. I haven't been able to do anytihng because it hasn't stopped raining in two days! it's still raining now. good grief charlie brown. Hahaha. thanks for all your advice.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
good grief is right. 8 months of rain is heading our way too. :/

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I had the same thing happen with my ignition switch...that was cool. My friend and I stopped at the store to get some beer and food, we come back out and I could unlock the forks, but it wouldnt turn to on. I tried 1000000 times but wouldnt turn. I ended pushing the bike 2 miles to his house, thank god its a light bike...

I used some brake cleaner in the lock (be careful of overspray onto paint!) to get any gunk out, then sprayed in some lithium grease. That seemed to do the trick.

·
Registered
201 Posts
R6S_2NR said:
hey call maggie she just got a new truck she can tow your bike

LOL, nice one! Man...this is what I get for not keeping up with all these threads...I wonder how many other threads there are that someone has volunteered me for stuff...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK so I truly appreciate everyone's input and help. I finally got back home and I was determined to get that thing open. It finally stopped raining and I grabbed the WD-40 and sprayed the keyhole. I worked the key in there while pressing down on the cap but nothing. After 30 mins of constant trying to open the cap, my key was bent and twisted at this point, I was about to give up and then it happened. My bike released its death grip and, oh happy day!, it opened. I quickly inspected the mechanism only to reveal that there wasn't anything wrong with it. It didn't get stuck after that. I spread a little more WD-40 on the locking mechanism, carefully covering the tank so it wouldn't get in there, and worked the key in that sexy twisting motion. It worked awesome. Jumped on the bike and finally got some gas. Rode around the block for a bit and then parked it. The wife calls me that she and her friend are going out to eat and why not meet them there. CHACHING!!! What a great excuse to ride my bike AGAIN! So, I did that. Came back home. Went to sleep. Woke up the next morning (today Friday) and rode to work...all 57 miles of it (one way)!!! Came back home from work and then went riding with the wife and her brother. Ahhhhhh, I love my bike. I'm addicted! They try to make me go to rehab, I said No No No LOL. Well, that's why I haven't responded earlier...been riding my bike. I love this forum! Again, thanks for all your help fellow ninja-ites.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't use my spare key. I kept on using the regular one. It's fine. I straightened it out, but now that I think about it I think I should get a copy done since there was alot of twisting and turning. All is well with my bike. We are one again. LOL

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
4,853 Posts
We've had problems like that here in daytona, I think it has to do with the salt air especially so close to the beach. I'm like a block away and locks need to be lubed at least once a month...and thats on everything. House, vehicles, lawn mowers. Even at that everything has to be washed twice a week. Just keep that keyhole clean and lubed, I'm gonna do some research to see if they have some sort of cover. That would be great for anyone really whether it be in dusty arizona, rainy seattle, salty coastal lines.

Glad to hear your bike is free now lol maggie didnt have to make that tow trip!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts