Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been riding the pants off this bike and trying to keep it maintained as best I can, and obviously modifying it. It has developed a "fuel starving" situation and I can't figure it out.... It started happening after I eliminated my "kleen air" system and substituted a filter... It's not really fuel starving however, because I've checked the carbs, and they're all good, delivering fuel, flowing freely and synched.. My spark plugs tell me I'm jetting correctly, maybe a little on the rich side. The bike cruises just fine at a given speed, and then it just kind of looses a little bit of push... It seems to be worse when I ride in a cross wind.

Could this be a ventury effect in the airbox, when a cross wind blows, by sucking air out of the airbox? Is the valve train acting funny because it's quite exposed to ambient air temps (30F). My vavles are clicking a little, and I will get in there as soon as I can to re-adjust them again.

What do you guys think? X? Eric? All suggestions are welcome! :p

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Certainly out of my league spooph, but you have a really open airbox don't you? That could be what you mentioned with the venturi effect.

And WOW!!! some one else has done the Kleen air removal!!!! What did you think of it when it was done?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would describe it felix, but this is easier... :p

http://www.newninja.com/modifications/i-just-can't-keep-my-grubby-little-hands-off-of-it!!!/

and Zandit, I love the sound! I mainly did it for ease of maintenance... I never had the crackling problem you guys did (which I still has to do with jetting, and not the kleen air :p). But it accentuates the deeper tones so much more. I can't wait to get my exhaust setup going, cause that thing is going to sound like a beast... I doubt louder than X's, but definitely deeper... :p

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Figured it out... Last winter I still had the stock airbox... This winter I have the open airbox... The carbs are freezing... When it's nice and warm, no hesitation, but all this cold/wet weather I'm getting some condensation in the tank (read - water), and the carbs gets super cold and actually start freezing, just like on an airplane... It's all that extra air I'm giving them (and it's not being warmed up any, or buffered by the open airbox, either).... So I'll just live with it for now. At least I know nothing horrible is wrong with the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
so your carbies are looking like that helicopter crew from "The day after tomorrow"!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts