Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Well, about 30 km ago, the red FI light started glowing like mad, and in the owner's manual it says that in that case there's something wrong with the fuel injection, and I need to go see the dealer. Right?

2. Alright. Bike seemed normal though, so I rode it a little further. Then, while standing outside McDonald's with a bunch of friends, engine running for about 5 minutes, it suddenly started making pretty sick sounds. Almost like a washing machine full of rocks. Nah, not exactly but something like that. I turned the key to Off immediately, but the noise continued for maybe 10 seconds. Slowing down though. Guess there was something in the engine that made it, and it took a little while for it to slow down. We went high and low on the bike trying to find out what's wrong, and I was presented with numerous ideas about what it could be, everything from fuel leak to lack of oil or coolant/radiator problem. Well, I didn't find out what it was but we left it off for some minutes, before I decided to ride it the 5 km back to my house and park it there. It went very well, didn't hear more of the noise, but once I started riding, I notived that the temperature was in the red area. I guess it got so heated after standing still with the enging running. I forgot about it because we were standing there a whole gang with engines running and talking about our bikes. Anyways, while riding on the freeway on my way home, the temperature went down and bike seems fine again.

Does anybody know what that was all about? Was it the heat? Maybe it has something to do with the FI issue? I'm gonna take it in to the dealer tomorrow and hear what they have to say, until then I'd appreciate some advice from you guys. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Sounds like a case of serious overheating. Some of the symptoms of overheating are:
*Dieseling (run on)
*knocking
*backfire
*hesitation when accelerating
*speed / camshaft sensor problems
*pressure release or water sounds- this is the radiator releasing coolant into the reserve tank then after cooling it will release back into the radiator.

Even though the Ninja has a radiator fan it is limited when there is no air flow. Long periods of idling is bad juju on any engine that is mostly air cooled. The red lights will all come on on the FI, water temp and FI indicator light due to overheating. ( the oil light may even come on if the viscoscity of the oil is too low) It is a good idea to take it to the dealer to check the FI system to see what service code is stored in the memory and also check to see if there is any damage to the O2 sensor or catalytic converter, fan sensor,check or replace the coolant.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts