Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 150/60 on the rear of my Ninja 250 which of course is not stock... In some sharp right turns I feel like the bike wants to overcompensate and fall straight to the ground (not very fun)... So I was wondering how wide can you go on the front tire to where its not rubbing on the fender and gives me a good balance with that wide backside... Thank you!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The main problem you probably have is that you have a radial tire 150/60 tire on the rear and a bias-ply tire on the front. The rear tire is out driving the front. Radial tires should never be mixed with bias ply tires.

With a bigger rear tire, your bike should want to do the opposite and stand up, not fall over. Most right hand turns are sharp anyway (especially riding street). The distance you have to travel is much shorter as well compared to a left hand turn at the same intersection. It's not so much the bike as it is technique. You may also want to check your rear tire pressure. With bigger tires come the need to increase the tire pressure higher than the recommended stock pressure. 36-38 PSI is the norm for street, lower for track racing.

A 150/60 tire on a Ninja 250 stock rim serves little purpose. Although wider plug & plug rims to fit a wider tire are available, owners keep squeezing wider tires on the stock rim. Most of those who race the Ninja 250 don't run a rear tire wider than a 140.

The stock rim size is 2.75", pretty narrow. The biggest front tire that has been put on a stock rim is a Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 120/70/17.

I would not recommend bigger than a 120/60/17. The BT-45 is the exception because the manufacturer has designed it to fit a rim as small as a 2.75" rim. All other 120/70 tires will have clearance issues, not just with the fender but with the fender mount /fork brace underneath the fender. There is very little space, so rubbing may occur. With the wider tires on both front and rear, the bike will turn in a little slower (won't flick over as quick), however stability when leaned over will be increased.

If you are going to stay with a 150/60 rear, I recommend you getting a matching front tire like the rear for better handling and overall tire wear.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.