Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so along with finishing the "hotter hands", friend and I put on the frame sliders... As I described in part II of "Hotter Hands", friend and I were well acquanted with The Captain :p at this point, so my apologies for out of focus pictures, and a few steps missing.... Unfortunately I don't have the time to take the fairings off again to re-take the pictures... Call me inferior, but this is the way it is... ;D

Again, with the fairings off...

And the frame-sliders out of the box and ready to go.... (There are actually 2 plastic sliders, not just one, as is shown in the pic)...

We test fit, because they are NOT the same... The engine is offset in the frame (as far as I could tell), and the slider/frame combos are side specific... So make sure you check...

test fit: Notice - the frame bolt to the ENGINE MOUNTING bolts.... Don't pull both these bolt out without supporting the engine, otherwise your exhaust will more than likely get bent (and other things will get screwed up too by your engine rotating and falling to the ground...)

During test fit I found the sprocket guard to be in the way, so...
Take off the shifter linkage:

This is the evil culprit that needs to muevate:

I found it easiest by using a flat blade screw driver, and "popping" it loose from underneath:

and better location/context:

MMMMMMM, delicious... 7,000 miles worth of excess chain lube (about 1/8 inch thick)... I guess I can go easier on that:

This is the part I got a little excited and friend and I forgot to take pictures.. So this is how we did it..
1.) Engine is bolted to frame with 3 bolts, bottom, middle (rear of the frame-slider bracket), and the top (front of frame slider bracket). We unbolted the middle bolt, worked the slider-frames into place, and loosely bolted the longer, new bolt (shorter of the two in the kit), into place.
2.) With the engine's weight thus on the bottom and middle bolts, we unbolted the top bolt and tried to work it out to no avail... Still too much weight on that top bolt (I'm guessing it's pretty import then??!?)
3.) Use hydraulic jack (I just positioned it on the oil filter - seemed to be strongest point of the engine) to support engine. NOTE: DO NOT DROP HYDRAULIC JACK ON LEFT BIG TOE - it makes shifting a painful affair!!!
4.) With engine supported, and old bolt out, line up slider-frames and put it new bolt. Snug up both middle and top bolts to make sure engine is nice and tight on the frame, and the slider-frames are nice and tight on the engine.... At this point I believe I yanked, pulled and pushed in every direction I could imagine to make sure nothing is going to "pop" or "jump" loose under thorough use.... I'm sure my decision to do this was also influenced by The Captain.... Anyways, nothing moved... Cool!

Attach sliders to EACH RESPECTIVE SIDE - remember they are of different lengths and if mixed up, you'll have a REALLY long slider on one side, and NONE on the other side....

Once these are bolted on, I tried to put the sprocket cover back on... no dice! Time for some cutting:
Original:

Cutting with hack saw - cause all my dremel blades are broken :mad: :

Initial piece off:

Test fit... No dice.... More cutting, grinding and other metal forming shenanigans and thus:

Cover back on, fits well, and doesn't wobble/vibrate... Everything clears and is good to go...
While I was busy hacking away at a piece of the bike, friend was putting fairings and things back on... So once I got the sprocket cover back on, it looked like this:

I will be back at some point (when I get some time) with a picture of what these will be used for most of the time.. Hopefully I never have to use them for their intended purpose.... Moore's (or is it Murphy?) law: If something can go wrong, it will > If you're not prepared for something, it will happen and bite you in the arse.... > If you're prepared, it probably won't happen....

Next up, the WHY and HOW to removing your kickstand switch...

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These are the shogun frame sliders, and when I measured them they stuck out nearly 4 inches... If I were to lay the bike down on a flat surface (ie on rocks, stick or railings), I would say the sliders ($15 replacement), and the bar-ends ($20) would scrape along pretty good. Maybe my front turns as well (which is why I want to get flush-mounts), but I feel VERY confident the fairing will survive WITHOUT a scratch!!! Now, mind you, I haven't tested this, nor do I plan on it, but I think they're definitely worth the $160 I paid for them... Is that an adequate answer?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually got them through my local dealer.... The parts guy there is really cool. I gave him a list of things I wanted to add to my bike, and as he find them, and is able to get them, he just orders it up and lets me know.....

But here's the linky: http://fatbikez.com/black-shogun-no-cut-frame-sliders-kawasaki-ninja-250r-2008.html

Total time including fairing removal, cutting the sprocket cover, and jumping around cussing at the my big toe when I dropped the jack on it(15 min), probably about 2 hours...

·
Registered
633 Posts
hahhaa nice man, for a seclooked like a stunt cage then you but the body back on..looks good man dont look like some cheap frame sliders that when your bike falls they break off and then you have that long bolt stuck inside your motor mount and a bitch to take out!

·
Registered
92 Posts
ARMYMEDWORRIOR said:
ive seen these on a lot of bikes. What is the surpose.
In the event of a fall, the pegs (frame sliders) will hold the bike up from the pavement to some degree. You certainly can't avoid all damage, but they help a lot if you drop your bike at a stand-still or slow speeds.

·
Registered
633 Posts
yeah they can prevent some damage say your making a u turn and it falls over or something but when your riding and it falls, ha i bet them sliders will rip right off! happen to my friend on his gsxr 750 on the drag strip flew way from him in second i think and rolled like 3 times bikes ok put new farings but one frame slider just brike right off!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Snooph, good job on the sliders...As for the guy in the video, looks like he's ok which is good, maybe next time he will try stunting in a secluded area so if he wipes out he will not endanger anyone else. I don't think that is considered Real world. He knew the danger of what he was doing.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Red Dragon said:
Snooph, good job on the sliders...As for the guy in the video, looks like he's ok which is good, maybe next time he will try stunting in a secluded area so if he wipes out he will not endanger anyone else. I don't think that is considered Real world. He knew the danger of what he was doing.
indeed, let Darwin reign!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They sit up higher, and are only connected to the top engine mounting bolt.. I also think they're a lot longer, which means they're probably not as strong.... Personally, I would trust mine more because they're beefier, but hey, go for it...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is it me or does the bike in the video bust the trucks tire? Looks like it. You can see the truck dive and then smoke!
That guys is skrewed! I hope his pride was hurt enough there to learn a lesson!!!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
AngelForce said:
lol i love the ... at the end makes me feel super confident!
I really like ellipses, always have. Because really, I have a lot more to say, but it's too much to write, and most people won't read it anyway. Plus I usually try and role an innuendo or pun into the statement. I guess it's just my style.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I find this write up kind of pointless [no disrespecting the amazing write up spooph] since these were simply a R&D flub up...hurry get a pair out the door and then go back to the drawing board...

The kit does look nice and secure...too bad they wont sell them again...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts