Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is running way too lean - always needs choke. My friend looked underneath and started laughing - said it might be because the carbs aren't connected to the air box!! What? I didn't believe him and I couldn't see under there ... so after I got home...

I took off the tank and side covers tonite and looked in there with a trouble light. sure enuf. He is right. ...

there is a 1/4" to 1/8" gap from carb throats to the tubes on the air box.

Now there seems to me no way to get the air box tubes over the carb throats. they seem to be stiff plastic not pliable rubber
and they seem to be the same diameter as the carbs not big enuf diameter to fit over.:(

are there separate rubber tubes that go over the ones from the air box throat to the carbs throats? maybe they were lost by the former owner. I confess I duct taped them together to see if that works temporarily.

are there separate boots?? seems there should be. I would like to use radiator hose clamps instead of that stupid spring thing. shouldn't there be 2 of them for each carb... one on the box, one on the carb?? thanks for anything you can advise! this would be an expensive fix if I took it to the kawa dealer.

[email protected]

PS - sorry- should have taken a pix.forgot.

Sherwiner

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I tink you're link is broken Ghost...

Sherwiner, it would much easier with a pic... But yes, hair dryer, warm water, grease/lube. They should fit, and they should fit VERY tight. You can use a hose clamp, but keep in mind, a tight clamp isn't what makes it stay. Proper fit and alignment will do that. The right part for the right place. Over tightening things usually breaks them, and in this case, might solve your issue for a few months, but after a while the rubber will prematurely fatigue and crack, and you'll have the exact same issue again...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
saw a great idea on a webpage but need to find it again.
basically,

1.fold the airbox boots over like you'd cuff your trousers
2. position the box so the boots touch the air intakes. have some hold the box in place
3. pull (unfold) the boots forward and over the intakes with a hook shaped tool (cotter key remover from Craftsman or homemade version)

Cool idea. Will try it. The duct tape works fine for now. Runs good once it warms up

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.