Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, wanted to document my progress of modifying my 250r. This will be no where near as cool as spooph's thread, but I'll have a go at it.

I'm no where close to a mechanic. I've actually just recently gotten into doing everything myself. Theres is great satisfaction going into a project you've never done before, know nothing about, and coming out successfully. Thats what drives me. Learning new things, and doing it just as good as some one who charges an arm and a leg.

So lately, my good friend (who is a mechanic) has been helping me and showing me the ropes. Mainly with my car, but that branched out to my motorcycle.

Anyways...

I had a black 250r in 2008. The first year they came out (the new model I mean). I loved the black on black everything. I don't have any pictures, but it was stock so looked like any other 250r.

Totaled it due to someone changing lanes and not seeing me. I came out fine, sore ankle and broken glasses. But my bike was done for. Either stop riding, or get back on. I got back on...

So I ended up with a 2009 red 250r. Had mods built on from the dealer, which worked for me since I knew nothing about DIY at that point.

Lowered
fender eliminator
two brothers exhaust
frame sliders

I never really liked the red, but the mods and the price sold me. I got it for the same price I paid for the stock black one.

Fast forward to last month. Another accident. Someone got cut off a car in front of the car ahead of me. Car in front of me hit the brakes hard, and I slid into the bumper. Entirely my fault. I wasn't following to close. But it was one of those moments where I kinda zoned out, enjoying the ride to work, and hit my brakes too late. All happens so fast. Again I come out fine, just a couple scrapes. I'll never make that mistake again.

So my headlight is cracked (won't pass inspection), upper cowl cracked, fairings scratched up on the right side, exhaust scratched, and my frame slider got grinded down. Also other minor things like bar ends.

I guess I could of let my insurance handle it. But honestly I don't need higher bills. And this would be the perfect opportunity to fix and repaint myself.

Which brings me to this point...

with the bike apart, and me finding this forum. I figure its also the perfect time to do some mods. Following 'scooter2ninja's thread, I decided to put speakers on the bike. So I ordered an amp off ebay.

He was right, perfect fit!

Mounted two 3 1/2" speakers (removed from my car a while ago) under the speedometer.

The amp puts out a lot of power for 13 bucks. Just two things, my speakers are a little weak and not water proof. I'll probably order a marine 5 1/2 speaker when money permits. Also i'll put in a on/off switch for the amp so I don't have to remove the seat to turn it on.

Time to tint the windshield. Used black rustoleum paint for plastic.

To be continued...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Paint process begins...

Had to sand down the tank to bare metal because of the decals.
Also had some rock chips, so extra sanding was needed.

Sanding down other parts. Ordered a used upper cowl from ebay. Blue, but who cares..

Primer, getting close!

(no i didnt spray it on the bike lol, just wanted to see what a grey 250r would look like :p)

To be continued...

·
Registered
46 Posts
*for post 2*

The most important tools for the job:

1.3 hvlp spray gun & water filter
base coat, reducer, hardener, clear coat (pearl is in the box)

Painting time!

*note the really nifty light bar my friend installed specifically for painting.

sneak peak of the paint, i'll post more when i put the bike back together.

Installed Amp switch (it has a blue led on top)

matches the amp that you'll never see. :p

Installed a new tank pad, I guess I have a black white and blue theme going.

ignore the top right of it, I think thats just a reflection from the ceiling.
Not sure if I like it 100%, thinking I should of just got a clear one.

New air filter

New oil & chain lube

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice, I like that Roaring Toyz kick stand, should have got that for my bike, very smooth looking bit of kit.

Felix
It's never too late. :)

I'll update the thread in a few, I have a bunch of pictures I need to organize and upload.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Nah, I've got the adjustable kick stand now, and I'm still looking at changing out the bike anyways... If I was keeping it and not racing I might.

When you post, just stick a note on them asking me to move the up to your saved 2nd and 3rd posts.

Felix
Ah that makes sense then. Just curious, did you start off with a 250r and move up? or start with the ZX6R?

And thanks, I'll do that. :)

Very nice so far!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Thats awesome Fonnie. Good on you for taking on such a big task as a DIY!! That paint is a metallic white? The teazer shot looks good, can't wait to see your result. Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, BlackBoar. :)

Yeah, I originally wanted to have a pearl white basecoat or midcoat, but that turned to be more expensive. 150 dollars more expensive. So my friend came up with a silver macropearl to throw in the clear coat. costing me only a few dollars more.

At night, or in shadows it should look white. but in the sun it will shine like a pearl coat.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
That is spectacular! Excellent work Fonnie! when it comes to painting, I'm out, so it always amazes me when people decide they want to do it... Well done, I can't wait to see the product! BTW, you short, or just like the look of the lowered bike? I would raise it back up if I were you... Just from a performance standpoint...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks spoof! This was my first painting job, it's not perfect but I'm very satisfied. The hard part is waiting for paint to cure so I can install my stuff. I also have to wetsand and polish to make it smoother.

I'm short but not that short. I could go without the bike lowered. I rode the black 250r without lowering it fine. It's just a lot more comfortable.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats sweet. I don't know if i'll ever upgrade. The girlfriend actually wants me to get rid of it. :/

I have a question though, I replaced the front turn signals with LEDS. They plug directly into the stock harnesses, but when i turn them on... they stay lit. no blinking. no fast blinking, just on. :(

I'm guessing I need some sort of relay?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Love the colour! I'd love to be able to spray paint properly but I'm just not game enough to try.

Re. the indicators. I believe you'll need to connect a resistor to each indicator or replace the flasher relay with one that's designed to be used with LEDs. I'm no expert so I could be wrong. Do a search for LED indicators, I'm sure the subject's been covered.

Excellent thread man. Keep the updates coming.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Bike is coming along quite nicely, wish I could pro paint. I replaced the relay when I changed blinkers but mine were still bulbs just a different amperage I think.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Aysee and Onslaught! I'll look into the led indicator relay.

I was going to wetsand and compound/polish today and post pictures but I don't think I'll have time to. I hope the clear coat is not too hard by friday to do it. Like I said this is my first paint job, there is a little bit of orange peel but because it's white it's less noticable. But wetsanding should get rid of a lot of it.

It's really not hard to paint. Fortunately I had a good teacher. Just get yourself a good gun and make sure you prep well. Prep work is probably the most important part. Sanding takes a long time but just be patient with it. Because of my schedule, It took me two weeks just to finish sanding and primer. I probably could have done it in a weekend if I were free.

I'll probably change the oil and clean/lube the chain tomorrow. Install a switch for the amp and get a relay friday. And have the bike wetsanded and put back together before the end of the weekend.

I'm pretty excited to be back on the road :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Was very anxious to test out wet sanding... the difference is amazing!

No wet sanding. Orange peel:

Wet sanding. No orange peel:

Comparison:

i used 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500. then compound. then polish.
Sorry you can't see the pearl sparkling, taken pictures indoors.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.