Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to post this in case someone else has the same problem. Though this problem seems rare, I have found where other folks sought assistance, and many of the solutions offered were, in my case anyway, inaccurate and/or costly.

Just about six weeks ago, I went for a ride and stopped to fuel-up. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get my gas cap to unlock and open. It got to the point where I had twisted the key real bad.

After straightening the key well enough to fit back in the starter, I was able to get the bike home. I kept playing around with the key in the gas cap, jiggling and twisting etc., etc.

I sprayed the keyhole a few different times with WD-40, waited, went back and tried jiggling the key, but it didn't seem to help. I even took a mallet and (very gently) tapped the cap, thinking that it just had to be loosened a little. Nothing worked. I tried many things over and over again. . .

Then last night I looked online again, and found where this one dude said to press the cap on it's front end, and jiggle the key while doing that. So today I went out, put the key in the slot, pressed the end of the cap (the end toward the front of the bike), and turned the key and pressed the back of the cap and turned the key then pressed the front of the cap harder and pressed and fiddled then the key turned real easy and I said "Oh SHIT!" because I thought I had broke the key . . .

Then the cap opened. A new cap would have cost about $127 bucks not to mention the labor for the stealershp or locksmith. There was no way this cap was going to open, but it did. I read posts where people have taken the tank off and taken the whole thing to a locksmith, I read posts were people have drilled the cap, etc., but fortunately I just kept piddling with it and it worked.

Just to let you know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
thanks for the info. that was the first problem I found on the ninja I just picked up, the previous owner said he couldnt get it open either,so im hoping it ran out of gas & he parked it,,, Ill let you know how that works out for me...thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK, didnt work on my ninja, so Im guessing all those little allen screws hold the hole thing in..:rolleyes:. turns out there is evidence that the tank has been replaced, :eek: (junk yard markins on bottom) :eek: that would explain why the key wont work.I figure Ill pull the whole thing out and have it re keyed. 8)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.