Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Old news, but first I've heard of it...

Five riders have been charged with causing death by dangerous driving after a rider and pillion in their group died after a collision with a car.

Dean Slater and his wife Helen were thrown from their motorcycle and killed instantly after hitting a car whilst riding on the A162 between Tadcaster and Sherburn in Elmet, North Yorkshire.

Dawn raids were carried out to detain five males that had been riding with the couple at the time of the fatal accident on August 25th 2010. North Yorkshire Police are charging the men due to their association, or joint enterprise, with riding in the group prior to the accident, they will appear in Selby Magistrates Court 31st March 2011.

This is not the first instance of riders being charged, even though not directly involved in an incident. Legislation is already in place for a lead rider to be charged for speeding offences comitted by others in a group.
Visor Down article

The Telegraph article

Law is there to protect the innocent?

Felix

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
379 Posts
What a load of bullshit. What ever happened to taking responsibility for your own actions?

There's a similar law here where if two cars are drag racing and one car crashes the driver of the other car can be held responsible. Even if you are side by side with someone at a red light and give them the impression that you want to race them and when the light turns green you take off normally but the other guy takes off fast and crashes, you can still be blamed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
This is retarded. I can understand being guilty by association...i.e. your actions could warrant a speeding ticket or licenese suspension...but to actually get the blame for a person's death...that's basically saying "You're being charged with murder because you were present". Look at professional sports. If during the course of a football game, a player gets killed because another player tackled him hard enough to do so...are the other 10 players on the field accountable?

How can they even prove this?

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Two sides to it, but yes at the end of the day you responsible for your own actions. However if one of those bikes plowed into a mother walking her baby...

Still the group on a whole did not force the others to ride fast, but both agreed to commit an offence such as speeding so they are guilty as a group of a crime. Now that crime resulted in the death of one of those committing the act... this is where is gets a bit grey. The group didn't force them to, but were complicit.

Now what Aysee was saying I have personal experience of, being accused of street racing, when all I did was leave the lights the same way I would do if the Police were sitting right behind me. The tool next to me how ever gased his buzz box and brought attention to both of us. I was non-compliant in the act and therefore didn't get busted. If it was proven I was trying to race then I'd be screwed (way I explained it was 500hp vs 100hp was not a race :p)

Felix

·
Registered
379 Posts
Two sides to it, but yes at the end of the day you responsible for your own actions. However if one of those bikes plowed into a mother walking her baby...
Then the rider of that bike is charged with manslaughter. The others should be charged with dangerous riding, etc. unless one of the other riders was directly involved in the death of a pedestrian eg. they hit another bike into a pedestrian killing him/her.

It can get pretty messy legally, but it just sounds lazy to convict everyone of the same crime when it might only be one that's directly responsible. In my view they aren't even accomplices.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.