Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I put stabil in the tank this winter before I left this side of the US and when I came back, the bike's tank was bone dry, but I put fresh fuel in to see if it had a leak and nothing came out. So with fresh fuel, the bike started up, but smoke was coming out of the headers and has no power. I turned the bike off and smelled the oil and I think the fuel drained in there somehow.

Will a simple oil change be enough to fix this? Also, what size oil filter does my EX500 need again? I forgot, it's been a while.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
I put stabil in the tank this winter before I left this side of the US and when I came back, the bike's tank was bone dry, but I put fresh fuel in to see if it had a leak and nothing came out. So with fresh fuel, the bike started up, but smoke was coming out of the headers and has no power. I turned the bike off and smelled the oil and I think the fuel drained in there somehow.

Will a simple oil change be enough to fix this? Also, what size oil filter does my EX500 need again? I forgot, it's been a while.
WOW.....u didn't turn ur fuel off?
I'd change the oil 4 sure.....:rolleyes:
Ok...what year is ur EX500 again.....:whistling:
I forgot....been a while.....:facepalm:

N this is a oil filter list i posted a while back.
Not positive if it's 4 ur's.....

N u can find ur bike maybe on this list.

http://app.bobscycle.com/AP/AP.OILFLTR.FRAM.STRT.KAW.HTML

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW.....u didn't turn ur fuel off?
I'd change the oil 4 sure.....:rolleyes:
Ok...what year is ur EX500 again.....:whistling:
I forgot....been a while.....:facepalm:

N this is a oil filter list i posted a while back.
Not positive if it's 4 ur's.....

N u can find ur bike maybe on this list.

Fram Oil Filters Street (Kawasaki)
It's a 1999 EX500, what oil do I need again? No, my petcock was turned off, the fuel somehow leaked out when I put stabil in the tank.

KN-303 is the filter I always buy, thanks for reminding me. :)

So fuel in the oil will cause the issue I'm having and an oil change should get it running right again?

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
It's a 1999 EX500, what oil do I need again? No, my petcock was turned off, the fuel somehow leaked out when I put stabil in the tank.

KN-303 is the filter I always buy, thanks for reminding me. :)

So fuel in the oil will cause the issue I'm having and an oil change should get it running right again?
Stabil won't cause the fuel leak. Ur petcock must be bad.

Use a synthetic oil for motorcycles.
A top brand name u can find.
Valvoline....Mobil 1 is my choices.

And there are other brands

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

Will a simple oil change be enough to fix this?
Fuel and Stabil don't just evaporate. If there is nothing in your tank, you have a petcock leak or your float valves leak or both. These are the two ways gas flows past to end up in the oil. Together they shut off the flow of fuel.

If that much gas got into your oil, you can clearly tell it by looking at the sight glass and also the amount and smell of oil that come out when you drain it.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Fuel and Stabil don't just evaporate. If there is nothing in your tank, you have a petcock leak or your float valves leak or both. These are the two ways gas flows past to end up in the oil. Together they shut off the flow of fuel.

If that much gas got into your oil, you can clearly tell it by looking at the sight glass and also the amount and smell of oil that come out when you drain it.
Ya....what he says......:thumb:

NNnnnn i think i remember someone having carb trouble last year.....:facepalm:
Maybe some petcock problems too?.....:whistling:
But i have a hard time keeping up with ya......ll............:popcorn:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no idea how to understand the sight glass. :(

The bike was fine until I put the stabil in, but yeah, it's getting an oil change and I'm going to take it by a motorcycle shop and have them check it out for me soon.

I think it's the petcock to be honest.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
I have no idea how to understand the sight glass. :(

The bike was fine until I put the stabil in, but yeah, it's getting an oil change and I'm going to take it by a motorcycle shop and have them check it out for me soon.

I think it's the petcock to be honest.
With ur bike standing up straight as if ur on it balanced off the stand......
The oil should be somewhere in the middle of the site glass.....
I usually hold my bike up at the balance point while i look at it, or....
Have a friend sit on ur bike holding it up straight...as u look.
U have to just stop petting that......:whistling:

:popcorn:

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Ya....what he said...n...n... i said....n... the manual says.......:whistling:

Didn't i at one time send her that too?

I'm getting old, so maybe i just thinkededed i did?.......:popcorn:

·
1,465 Posts
I put stabil in the tank this winter before I left this side of the US and when I came back, the bike's tank was bone dry, but I put fresh fuel in to see if it had a leak and nothing came out. So with fresh fuel, the bike started up, but smoke was coming out of the headers and has no power. I turned the bike off and smelled the oil and I think the fuel drained in there somehow. Will a simple oil change be enough to fix this? Also, what size oil filter does my EX500 need again? I forgot, it's been a while.
ok. So sounds like your fuel petcock is bad for sure. However the bike has some compression loss it sounds like from riding over time. Thus allowing the fuel to pass the rings and into the oil. You need to change the oil. You will know if you have gas in the oil. No sense checking the sight glass because you probably don't know what exactly your looking for an will just see that it's over full. Change the oil and look in the oil change pan. Oil and gas will stay separate to an extent. When you see it you will know but if you really unsure put your fingers in the oil and then smell them. If they smell like gas then the two are mixed. If you don't see the oil and gas in the old oil. Then your needle valve may be leaking in a carb which has slowly let the fuel leak out of the bowl drain. However, check the oil first. A easy way to tell is by looking for separation or smelling your oil. After you change the oil and put in new gas the bike may smoke a little but should eventually stop but you need to get the petcock replaced immediately or you will have the same problem again

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Today as I started my bike as soon as I pressed the engine starter there was a loud bang from the muffler!! Is this a sign of a bad petcock too???
:facepalm:

I keep telling you people to stop petting ur.......:whistling:

Ur gunna have to tell us a lot more about ur bike etc.....

Carbs or not......
Slipons.....
n any other things u may of done to ur bike...

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't have a manual or a tool kit, center stand or lower fairing with this bike, just how it came a year ago.. I just realised I've had this bike a year now and my motorcycle endorsement. :)

I put a gallon in the tank yesterday to observe for leaks to track it down, I didn't see anything leaking, so after doing an oil change and changing the filter I started it up and it ran smoothly, so I took a little ride around town and on the interstate.

I likely need a new petcock, that's for sure, a tiny bit of fuel comes out sometime at the switch and gets fuel on my hand. Not sure if anything is wrong with the carbs at all, then again, no idea how to tell if anything is wrong with the carbs.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.