Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I have a 1992 ex500. I got it about a month or so ago took the carbs off and cleaned them and it ran just fine. After awhile it started actin up so I parked it and now it won't fire. I have spark and fuel. Need to check compression. Any ideas?

· Registered
1,480 Posts
....I have spark and fuel. Need to check compression.
I've been told timing on bikes this almost never give issues. It'll crank. It just won't ignite. It ran fine then just started this so I don't think it's flooding
Your bike is over 20 years old, anything can happen. Just because you have spark and fuel does not necessarily mean the timing is on point or the compression is up to snuff. IC Ignitors can go bad without warning.

You really haven't given much detail about the bike. What do you mean by .."started acting up"?
What kind of mods do you have?
Do you have pods or an airbox?
Has the bike sat out in the rain?
Does the bike have fresh fuel?
What else have you checked?
Have you looked at the pilot jets again to double check they are not blocked again with some other debris?
Will the bike even sputter with choke?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't dont know much about it I bought it cuz the guy said it wasn't runnin. It idles fine. It sputters when u throttle it. I was riding it and gave it throttle and the rpms dropped then I let off the throttle and it picked up

· Registered
1,480 Posts
I haven't dont know much about it I bought it cuz the guy said it wasn't runnin. It idles fine. It sputters when u throttle it. I was riding it and gave it throttle and the rpms dropped then I let off the throttle and it picked up
Sounds like a typical lean condition if the engine won't respond when the throttle is snapped open, but it picks up speed as the throttle is closed. (A too-large main jet also mimics this symptom.)

Sounds like you need to revisit your carb work. Either your jets are too small or too large.

What condition are your spark plugs in? Iridium plugs are very good.
When's the last time the valves were adjusted? if you don't know you may want to get them done.
Is your air filter clean and serviceable (last replaced) and is the airbox port clogged with something? You may want to check these things

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.