Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not a new Ninja, and it's not really mine, but it's in my garage...and I might get to ride it occasionally...

My 16 y/o son found this on Craigslist - 2004, 257 mi, not running - dead battery and plugged carbs. . Had been sitting since about 2006 or so. He bought it for $750 with his own money.

We weren't completely ready to take it home, but we managed to get it in the van (removed the windscreen and mirrors). It was a little tight with the seats in, but it wasn't far from home.

We pulled the carbs, cleaned the jets, jumped the battery, and it fired right up.

He washed, waxed, and changed the oil this weekend, plus made a few small changes. He's got plenty of other plans and time to accomplish them, as he doesn't have his cycle license yet. He also needs to get full gear, insurance, MSF training, and my approval before he can ride it.

Looks almost new now!

Jay

· Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^Thanks!

We pulled off the front foot peg mounts and levers tonight and will remove the rear brackets tomorrow (that looks like a pain...). He wants to powder coat everything black.

Should clean-up the look from the side.

· Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a recent photo of my son's Ninja after a few more clean-ups and new tires -

We powder coated the footpeg brackets, trimmed the rear fender, removed the reflectors, and fitted a set of Pirelli MT75s.

He finished his basic MSF course (he was the only in his class to get 100% on the riding test) and did the required DMV written test. Got a full set of gear (mostly used except the pants and helmet). We have been really lucky on Craigslist - he just scored a set of SIDI race boots for $50 - almost exactly like the Sidis I bought off CL for $50 about a year ago.

Jay

· Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sorry - I moved them to a different folder without realizing that would happen.

I wish we could edit the original post like most forums, but after a certain point you can't.

Here they are -

Rode about 75 mi together in the country this eve, and it went well. It almost has a whopping 400 mi on it now!

It looks pretty small with him standing next to it. He just recently passed me in height (I'm 5'11"). He's looking into some stiffer fork springs, as they are too soft. He has changed to a longer newer-gen rear shock with preload adjustments.

Jay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.