Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i recently turned my idle down a little bit because my idle was upwards of around 3k rpm. I turned the idle adjustment knob down until my idle sat at about 1500 rpm. Now sometimes when i first start up the bike, i'll start it with the choke and let it idle high for a minute or two and then turn the choke off before i go riding. But it feels like usually within the first like idk 10-15 minutes of riding since i started the bike, sometimes in frist gear the bike feels like it's thirsty for gas and it putters until i get into higher RPMs.

Could this just be because the bike is cold?

ALSO!

Sometimes after this happens, and i come to a stop, i'll put the bike in neutral.. but then when i put the bike down into first gear, it will just turn off. It will do this maybe once or twice, then it will be fine.

I'm hoping this is just the symptoms of a cold motorcycle.

And my final question!

Does anybody have a little bit of play in their clutch, when the clutch is all the way let out... it feels to have a little bit of play back and forth until the clutch engages in it's spot... normal or no?

TIA.

·
Registered
42 Posts
my idle is around 2500. my bike has a fair amount of miles on it 7100 for an 08. my bf's tho has about 2500 on it, when the weather is fairly chilly i have to leave mine on choke when i ride for a while and he doesn't so idk if it has to do with the wear of the bike or not. but i think that yours dies in first from being cold, mine doesn't that on occasion. i would put the idle up a bit more, but it's your choice.

usually when a bike putters like you describe. it's because it's not getting enough gas. ...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
GetSilly, your rpms are almost double the recommended setting. (1300 +/- 50 rpm) If you have to keep your idle that high to keep it from cutting off, you need some carb adjustment. The pilot screw may need adjusting to allow more gas into the carb. Even cold the bike should not idle that high for long periods. you may also need to check the choke to make sure that it is not out of adjustment also.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I agree with blue ghost. The idle is too high.
Now captain, as for you question(s) its seems to be just a cold bike thing. I know its a pain in the a$$ ... try shimming the needles. U will see the diffference.
Clutch lever does have a little play at least mine does.

·
Registered
42 Posts
wow i didn't know that, thanks guys i will certainly get that taken care of asap. well i got the part today to fix it, so now it's up and running!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Captain, I agree about the idle needing to be just under 1,500 and yes, the clutch lever should have about 1-2 millimeters play in it when it's fully out, just to make sure the lever isn't making the clutch slide. A good way to check this is to tighten the cable to where you think it should be and then very slowly and carefully pull the clutch and see how much it can move before the clutch actuator moves on your crank case. There should be a smidge of play there, but no too much either, because then your clutch doesn't disengage all the way either..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts