Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my bike last month and have over 300 miles on it now. I have been noticing the fuel gauge seems to have a mind of it's own. Sometimes it reads empty when clearly it is not, and i don't think I have ever seen it read full. I have only filled up the tank a couple of times now, but I think I will wait and mention it to the dealer @ my 600 mile service. Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
i think it has something to do with the device measuring the fuel level..i dont think its much shy of a cork pulling on a string haha

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
i measured it the other day and i get ike 65 to the gal for my fuell.. which is like 240 miles to a tank

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey guys -

so this week my bike did this twice to me. I turned it on and where the fuel guage should rise from Empty to the actual gas level in the tank - the needle did not move. After a minute or two, when took the bike off the kickstand and got on, it slowly started to rise. I knew I had plenty of gas but I wonder if it is a problem with the gauge, or with the contraption in the tank that measures the gas and tells the gauge what to read.

It has been really hot and kinda humid here, but last night the same thing happened and it was a little cooler out. I'm not too worried about it since I know I have gas and watch my milage anyway but if anyone wants to take a shot at what the problem is, I'm all ears.

Sorry if this does not make sense, hard day at work, kinda brain fried right now.
Shady

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
it would be the guage sticking...or the other thought you had would be the thing inside the tank....(which by the sounds of it is a cork with a peice of string attatched) but i dont know how these work so im no help =/

·
Registered
29 Posts
My gauge is doing the same thing...i tap on it and it goes up..I think the gauge is sticking...Im gonna check my connections first though...Thats your best bet. its a dirty connection

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The fuel gauge and float is very rudimentary. Kind of the nature of the beast. Par for the game on a sub 5k bike. If it does not work at all or is more than 1/2 a tank off, then I would be concerned.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I'm with BG. My bike does the same thing. I haven't even bothered to look at it... And if you have an older Import car, the same thing will happen to it, except it obviously won't be affected by tilt, cause if your car is tilting, there is something other than your fuel gauge wrong, eh? :p

Oh, and Shady, 50 points for using the word "contraption" - that a great word!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Shady Lane said:
Hey guys -

so this week my bike did this twice to me. I turned it on and where the fuel guage should rise from Empty to the actual gas level in the tank - the needle did not move. After a minute or two, when took the bike off the kickstand and got on, it slowly started to rise. I knew I had plenty of gas but I wonder if it is a problem with the gauge, or with the contraption in the tank that measures the gas and tells the gauge what to read.

It has been really hot and kinda humid here, but last night the same thing happened and it was a little cooler out. I'm not too worried about it since I know I have gas and watch my milage anyway but if anyone wants to take a shot at what the problem is, I'm all ears.

Sorry if this does not make sense, hard day at work, kinda brain fried right now.
Shady
my gauge misreads untill i right the bike from laying over so

·
Registered
274 Posts
spooph said:
Oh, and Shady, 50 points for using the word "contraption" - that a great word!
lol, I had to say "contraption" cuz I don't know what the device is called. Is that like the float bowl or something?? educate me spoof.

and thanks others who tell me not to worry about the guage. It doesn't happen everytime and i watch my milage so it's not like i am depending, or trusting the gauge.

thanks all

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
well, actually, I've never taken it apart to look at the contraption, but I believe Met is closer than he things... I think it's just a sealed rheostat - variable resistor, hooked to a float and wire, much like what you'd find in your toilet's tank.... If I ever take it apart, I'll take pictures...

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
spooph said:
well, actually, I've never taken it apart to look at the contraption, but I believe Met is closer than he things... I think it's just a sealed rheostat - variable resistor, hooked to a float and wire, much like what you'd find in your toilet's tank.... If I ever take it apart, I'll take pictures...
haha wooo XD very glad mine doesnt have a fuel guage...but then again if i break really hard when have a bout 1/4 of a tank the idiot light comes on...so its much the same i reckon

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had the same issue with my bike. For the first 2k miles or so it was pretty accurate. After a fill-up it would read full and would drop 1/4 tank for every 50 miles or so.....50 mi = 3/4, 100 mi = 1/2 and so on. After that 2k mile mark or so, it would read very erratically (anywhere from on the E to 1/2 when I just put 10 miles on the new tank of gas). I took it to the dealer and told them what the problem was and asked the to replace the fuel level sensor inside the tank, but they had to keep my bike for a week and a half to duplicate the problem and then thay had to call kawi headquarters (or so they said) so they could get approval to replace it. Anyways, long story short is that it's the in tank fuel level sensor that is acting up. I'm not sure if there is an updated part to replace the famously inaccurate one installed from the factory, but I haven't had any problems with my new sensor as of yet. Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The fuel guages on the 250s are crap. Mine would sometimes read empty when the tank was still about 3/4 full.

But fuel guages are never 100% reliable on anything, just treat it as a basic guide. You should always be mainly using your odometer or trip meter to guage how much fuel/distance is left.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mine has always read the wrong amount. I took a mutimeter to it and tried everything. I could only get it to duplicate while on the road. I think it may be on the gauge side of things but honestly just use the odometer, no bike I have ever had till now has ever had a fuel gauge...maybe a clock or a bobblehead should go there instead.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts