Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it recommended to change the exhaust on a 250?

i was lookin around for info on what happens when you change the exhaust and such (since i'm a noob of course), and i'm wondering if the power difference i'd get would actually be notable... and is an exhaust change easy enough for any bonehead to do?

googled some stuff and this came up
http://www.kawiforums.com/attachmen...a-250r-tyga-exhaust-dyno-results-vs-stock.jpg

looked like quite a boost in power if i'm not mistaken

oh ya.. and would this hurt my gas mileage?.. gas mileage is more important to me at this point than power

· Registered
64 Posts
If you do a full exhaust you'll get a noticeable in crease, however it will lower your mileage . In a 250 it's a waist of money. Also with a full you'll need a power commander or something of the like to remap and control air and fuel. If your looking to change the tone or make it louder then just get a slip on and you in most cases not have to get any type of aftermarket control unit.

· Registered
1,480 Posts
....Is it recommended to change the exhaust on a 250?
It all depends on what your riding goals are. If you race and you spend the majority of your time in 4th and 5th gear and high rpms, then a full exhaust and the extra HP is what you need.

If you just street ride and you like to cruise at lower rpms, save on gas and don't like obnoxiously loud noise, then a full exhaust is not what you need.

Anytime you make changes to the intake or exhaust, you can expect a small-med change in MPG. Also riding at WOT /high rpms, the MPG is reduced even more.

Don't get caught up in the peak HP hype on the Ninja 250. It's a little deceptive. What do I mean? Most dyno runs will show you peak HP which is usually in 4th or 5th gear. If you look at the dyno chart real close a stock / slightly modified Ninja can make the same HP as a fully exhausted Ninja 250 up until about 10.5k rpms. The difference is the fully exhausted 250 gets to that specific HP a few hundred rpms faster.

But wait there's more. Let's say you max out your rpms with stock gearing (14/45) at 12k rpms in 6th gear, your max speed will be 97.4 mph. A properly ridden bike with 15/41 will hit 98 mph @ 11.5k rpms in 5th gear.

Even though you gain a bit more HP, it's not worth if you don't take advantage of it with a good gear ratio.

Because the 250 is carbed, jetting, altitude, temp and humidity all come into play when maximizing HP. Whether you keep the stock airbox or switch to pods and even change the timing, your results will vary.

· Registered
20 Posts
+1 again with Blue Ghost... haha... he knows his stuff!

I was after mileage and was disappointed with the exhaust upgrade but for wide open throttle riding an exhaust will help. IMHO, with half throttle cruising and normal driving there is probably less hp as noted with mileage decreases, but at wide open throttle there is an improvement in power. On the 250, IMHO, there is a trade off in that department. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.