Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
9,088 Posts
Maybe using a oil n work it till it's loose...?
I imagine that gets hot..?
Maybe find a high temp penetrating oil to get it loose...?
It is sticking just on the outside part u show..? or inside the pipe..?
Maybe the cables are in need of lube..?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
The servo moves or tried to move before.
I used WD40 and it all started moving again, then the fault code cleared.
I am hoping this should be enough until I get it replaced.

Thanks for the help

1,465 Posts
Are you sure the valve is rusted and can't move? The servo is probably bad. The exhaust servo's are pretty damn strong which leads me to think that you would have had a problem with the exhaust valve sticking causing a Fi light before this time when it's stuck. Could possibly happen but I tend to doubt things that don't warn before they break

twisted throttles brings me smiles

· Registered
27 Posts
You can always remove the cables and actuator and install a servo buddy, for about $60. The exhaust vlv fails\stays open once you remove everything under the seat and down to the exhaust vlv. Easy to do and solves the FI issue related to the whole circuit.

1,465 Posts
Yes that is true however if you're using our stock exhaust you do want the exhaust butterfly valve on such a small motor. The reason the butterfly exhaust exist it's over the bike can have back pressure and have more torque on the bottom end. If this was not a stock exhaust I would say yes get the servo buddy but being that it is a stock exhaust you need to replace the butterfly valve or the actuator/servo that is damaged

· Registered
27 Posts
He doesn't say what bike he's referring to and other than a 250 or assuming he's got a 650 or bigger the servo buddy would work just fine. I had an 08 650 I did the servo buddy with on a bike with a stock exhaust and there was no loss of back pressure as a result. The stock cat creates enough back pressure for these motors which is minimal in any case. The 650 was a little louder and felt like it had a little more torque actually.

1,465 Posts
He doesn't say what bike he's referring to and other than a 250 or assuming he's got a 650 or bigger the servo buddy would work just fine. I had an 08 650 I did the servo buddy with on a bike with a stock exhaust and there was no loss of back pressure as a result. The stock cat creates enough back pressure for these motors which is minimal in any case. The 650 was a little louder and felt like it had a little more torque actually.
Do you own a 250? Have you ever ridden a 250? Do you realize a 650 and a 250 are completely different monsters? What do you think the butterfly is for? Im not trying to be a dick but the guy clearly states its a 250. They need all the help creating torque that they can get. One of the main reasons for the butterfly. The butterfly helps the bike maintain the back pressure needed to run at optimal air fuel ratio and engine load at varying speeds and throttle increments. Exactly why the bikes such as the cbr1000 and the zx10 and the r6 and r1 and pretty much all other Japanese bikes have them except some gsxr's and a few others. The bikes have short stroke Pistons meaning they make more power on the top end than the low end torque which is still good but less on a 600 and way less on a 250. From a low end stand point the ass is missing but on the top end the ass is there. This is why the valve fluctuates to allow the ass to be present

· Registered
27 Posts
Do you own a 250? Have you ever ridden a 250? Do you realize a 650 and a 250 are completely different monsters? What do you think the butterfly is for? Im not trying to be a dick but the guy clearly states its a 250. They need all the help creating torque that they can get. One of the main reasons for the butterfly. The butterfly helps the bike maintain the back pressure needed to run at optimal air fuel ratio and engine load at varying speeds and throttle increments. Exactly why the bikes such as the cbr1000 and the zx10 and the r6 and r1 and pretty much all other Japanese bikes have them except some gsxr's and a few others. The bikes have short stroke Pistons meaning they make more power on the top end than the low end torque which is still good but less on a 600 and way less on a 250. From a low end stand point the ass is missing but on the top end the ass is there. This is why the valve fluctuates to allow the ass to be present
I must have missed the part where he makes no mention of what bike he has or is talking about so if you weren't trying to be a dick I'm thinking you succeeded but I wouldn't worry about it it's the internet. To answer your other question no I don't own a 250 but I had one forty years ago it was a Kawasaki 250 dirt bike that's what I learned to ride on. The exhaust butterfly vlv has more to do with noise and emissions requirements the manufacturers have to meet than anything else, read this maybe it will help you understand a little better :)
Exhaust valves and servo motors explained

1,465 Posts
A 250 dirbike. Talk about comparing apples and oranges. And as far as the being for emissions and noise. Tell that to the Yamaha factory motogp team that ran them because I don't think they gave two shits about emissions nor sound levels.

1,465 Posts
And yes by the way they do rob top end horsepower ( less than 3 hp at the max of the bike where few people go on average) because they close slightly in the top of the power band for emissions. But gain torque on the low end( where every rider will put the bike to test daily) Knowing that doesn't make them dumb to have or anything else. You can simply change the ecu settings to get it open but most people won't spend the money when a servo buddy is so cheap compared to ecu modification. The bikes have more than just a butterfly valve in them which can aid in emissions and sound but the soul purpose is creating back pressure which keeps the air fuel ratio right due to internal back pressure by external methods. Sure the valve can assist emissions etc but not there sole purpose. Have you not bought something that was supposed to be used for something but instead used it for something else. Also the link you attached was by a company selling exhaust servo eliminators. Have you ever heard of false advertising? Why do infomercials sound so good? Are they all lies ? No but stretched versions of the truth to coerce you to buy they product. I personally have tried the exhaust with a servo and with out on my 06 r6 without the catalytic converter. The bike around the track with the servo was an average of 1:15:53. And without was 1:17:27. And this was done over period of two days where I tried the exhaust both on and off on both days. Read what you want determine what you want but the servo kept my times better. Did I notice the servo doing work? Only in the back stretch of the track and in the slow curves entry and exit speeds but not at all anywhere else . Over all top speed wasn't slowed or quickened but speed was obviously enhanced. aftermarket exhaust remove the exhaust valve knowing that other modifications will be necessary such as a power commander,air filter, possible timing changes etc when u do those things your essentially providing the ability to have the proper air fuel,ratio without the back pressure. Simple as that Decide for yourself which way you wanna go twisted throttles brings me smiles

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.