Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

Eric's oil cooler

10K views 43 replies 11 participants last post by  Zandit 
#1 ·
Right, so over the past 8 months or so Ghost and I have been trying to orchestrate the purchase of one of Eric's oil coolers each. It wouldn't have been such an issue had his prices not been so reasonable.... It's difficult to shell out the price in money transfer and shipping which equals the price of the part itself.... However, Eric was absolutely awesome, and today, I received my oil cooler. I won't be able to install it on the bike for another 2 weeks, but I'm going to post up a pic of it anyway. I do believe it's one of the MOST professionally crafted pieces of aftermarket kit I've laid my grubby little hands on yet. Absolutely superb! Can't wait to toss it onto the bike:

See less See more
#6 ·
sorry blackout, I can't find the threads that had to do with this oil cooler. I know Coinslot has one also. Once I get mine installed, if ghost hasn't already done one, I'll do a DIY, and if then you're interested, just contact Eric...

#9 · (Edited)
OK I finally got a chance to install my engine oil cooler. I have to say it it really nice, quality and appearance wise and both hoses are much bigger than the stock oil hose.
The install was pretty easy. Of course if you've done any maintenance on the bike, you'll know taking off the fairings can takes a good amount of time. Once the fairings are off it is easy from there. I won't do a complete DIY. I'll let Spooph do it. He seems to have a nack for it.
I did a couple of other things while I had the fairings off as well, so my install time was a a little long, but if I had to give a time on just installing the cooler by itself, I would say about 20 -30 minutes for someone with moderate mechanical skills.
While the fairings are off was a good time to replace the well nuts on the fairings. Mine were destroyed. Also installed, were a couple of 'go fast' stickers.
One thing I did before install was, take off the hoses on the cooler, blow compressed air through it to make sure there was not metal debris inside. Then I put one hose back on and slowly put a little engine oil in the cooler, put the hose back on, then assembled it the the bike. Torqued all the bolts, checked for leaks, let it warm up at idle real well, took it for a nice spin down the road, rechecked for leaks.
The temp outside was in the low 50's, so a real test of it's cooling efficiency will have to wait for a much warmer day. Other than that..I like it!

Attachments

#11 ·
Awesome Ghost!

Turns out I don't have time this weekend to do it... And with my miles being what they are, I think I'm just going to wait until my next oil change/valve check to install this, so sorry folks, it's gonne be a little while for the DIY... Unless you wanna do Ghost...

It looks great. BTW, did yours come with any instructions on where to put the hoses? I think I can figure it out pretty easily once I'm in underneath there, I was just wondering...

#14 ·
Sorry guys for no instuction.I preassembled the the kit so there is no way to make mistake(s).The hoses are precleaned.But a second precaution won't hurt.There's no need to fill the cooler with oil as it takes only seconds for it to fill up.Also no need to add more oil.The cooler has room for only 100cc.
Thanks for the pics Ghost.

#15 ·
Thanks Eric. The install was pretty easy even without instructions. All that I did, was just to make sure because there were none. So far it seems to work great. I had a mid 70 degree day to take it out a an extended run. Hopefully helping keep the oil cooler will help a little with oil breakdown and performance in hotter weather. Between the cooler and bigger hoses, there is a much bigger surface area for cooling than just the stock oil hose.

#16 ·
Yep.The inside area of the hose I used is about 3 times of the original.Actually I didn't had the cooling affect of the hose in mind but a bigger hose has less restriction.The oil pump of a Ninja 250 produce only 21-25 lbs.of pressure.With a smaller hose and 2 times the length the oil pressure to the head might drop.No good!

#18 ·
Yep,this guy coppy everyone's idea.EZ,no fuss.If you look carefully the cooler is the same.All he did is add some decoration and sell double the price.What I did was just discontinueing my marketing in THAILAND.No need of compatiton.Will find other things to do.As I know,not a single one was sold so far.

#20 ·
K, so I finally did the install. It's been too cold here for me to have any desire to wrench on the bike. But here's the write up. One of the easiest installs I've done in forever! Excellent product Eric!

In addition to the oil cooler you will need some crush washers, the 10.1mm ones (specific to the oil bolts, as opposed to the brake hoses-10.0mm).

With the fairings removed and oil drained detach this hose.

Then wrestle back the rubber cover on the other side of the engine, which is on the oil pressure sensor. Make things easy on yourself and give the little screw on top a quarter twist to the looser side and remove the wire. Now you can easily undo the sensor and with it, the hose:

Here's the removed hose:

The oil cooler comes with the bolt pre-threaded into the cooler, but still loose. Leave them loose. Remove the bottom 2 mounting bolts on the radiator and mount the oil cooler on them.

Then use the stock banjo bolts with a 10.1 crush washer on each side of the banjo fitting and bolt it loosely to the engine on one side:

Do the same with the oil pressure sensor on the other side, again putting a crush washer on either side of the banjo fitting which also has the sensor bolted to the back of it:

Tighten up all the bolts making sure to hold the hoses with one hand and the wrench with the other in order to keep them from twisting and getting too close to the exhaust manifold as you tighten them.

#24 ·
What? The stock oil line transports oil from one side of the engine to the other.... With the oil cooler replacing it, the oil is going from the same place, to the same place, using the same connections/bolt, just with an oil cooler in between...

#30 ·
ooo, glad you followed up Ghost, been meaning to come back to this post. I've removed the oil cooler... It was causing my 2,500 mile old oil to run like it's been in the bike for 10K or more... Disgusting. Why? Because it's been WAY too damn cold and natural lube just doesn't handle extreme temp variations as well as synthetic.... It looks like we won't be getting any extreme heat this summer, so I might just leave it off... Keeping it though just in case I ever put a turbo on the bike... :p And no more riding below 40F for me... :p

#31 ·
Sounds like a little bit of over cooling. I don't ride in 40 degree weather. Just too cold for me. I haven't really had a problem with oil. I run a semi-synthetic and the bike is garaged, which is usually about 15-20 degree warmer inside. It's supposed to hit 94 here tomorrow, so I'm hoping the cooler stays just as effective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.