Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mini dirt in our engine oil is trapped when passing throw the oil filter.But a best oil filter can handle partical down to about 20microns(1/500 of milimeter).What about those smaller once?They will seep through the filter back in the engine and act like mini grinder on internal moving parts which mostly are iron based metal.There is an easy way to get rid of this minute particals prolonging the life span of our little engine.MAGNET!
Just fine a good strong magnet from a hardware store.In my case I use one found in a discarded computer harddrive.They are very strong.If put two of them together it's very hard to separate then.
Now just stick one of the magnet on the oil filter bolt.It will stay there forever.As long as the magnet stay there, the bolt will act like magnet to.Trapping every metal partical that escaped the filter before reentering the engine and make them stick 2 the bolt.By next filter change just pull the magnet off.Change filter conventional way.Clean the bolt with cloth.You'll be surprise what this little thing can do.

Harddrive magnet and the bolt to be sicked on

Magnet sticked on bolt.Will stay there forever.Never lost one.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep.That black gunk sticking to the bold must come from some where.I mean the engine will stay fit for a long time.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
If anybody would like a magnet, PM me, I have a ton of them at work...

Nice tip Eric, I'm on it!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Sweet... now any suggestion as for traffic lights. Or apartment gates... that won't sense the motorcycle as u approach it. Due to the lack of metal on the bike.

·
Registered
256 Posts
so one thing to think about. maybe its a non issue, but magnets loose their magnetism if they are heated up too hot. this is about neodymium magnets:
Yes, if you heat them beyond 170 degrees Fahrenheit (80 degrees Celsius) the magnets will quickly loose their magnetic properties. Sustaining these temperatures for a length of time or heating the magnet significantly higher than this will permanently demagnetize it. Other types of magnets such as Samarium-Cobalt have higher heat resistance. There are also other types of Nd-Fe-B magnets that are not as susceptible to heat induced flux degradation.
so does the oil filter cover get to 170f?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gummybear said:
does the oil filter cover get to 170f?
It might.Never messured it.Anyhow that magnet shown on that pics was transfered from my former Honda.Been using it for maybe 4 years now and it still stick good.It might be that it's aircooled and never reach that critical temp.I don't know.Actually you can aswell stick it to the oil drain plug.Will do the same job.

·
Registered
55 Posts
gummybear said:
so one thing to think about. maybe its a non issue, but magnets loose their magnetism if they are heated up too hot. this is about neodymium magnets:so does the oil filter cover get to 170f?
I think if it would reach the point where it would get demagnetize...so it would fall off, haha. So as long as the magnet it there..I wouldn't worry about that physic issue.

·
Registered
256 Posts
well i stuck a few neodymium magnets onto the bolt. we will see what happens. also, this takes care of 2 birds with one magnet, because the magnet under the chassis will help trigger magnetic sensors at some traffic lights :) horray!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Where on the engine is that bolt located. Or can you only access it once the fairings have been removed? Could somebody please post up a picture or describe where it is please?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gazza said:
Where on the engine is that bolt located. Or can you only access it once the fairings have been removed? Could somebody please post up a picture or describe where it is please?
Just look under your engine.It's there(use pic as referance).No need to remove fairing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting. Another one to add to the ever growing list of modifications that need to be done to my baby. Thanks Eric! Those neodymium magnets really hold strong. They also sell them on Think Geek.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts