Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was stupid today, set my helmet on a hook that was extremely unstable.
after two steps, it dropped onto the floor about 1m off the ground.
when i looked at the visor, it only had a little scratch.
then i noticed the back vent.. completely broke off.. revealing two holes, allowing the styrofoam cushion to be exposed..
i am pissed at myself.. :mad:

i know the smart thing to do would be buy a new helmet, just start fresh and be not be an idiot anymore.
but i was wanting some advice of you guys.
thanks.

heres the pics..
I was thinking about going to the dealership tomorrow.. maybe they can help me out, somehow. :-\

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ugh, im so angry at myself..
yah it would probably be best to buy a new one.. i might do some searching tonight.

another thing that came to mind, is that it rains here so often, and it would definitely go into the holes and damage it from the inside. THAT i dont want to risk.

thanks for the input

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I dropped my ARIA on concrete from my handlebar . It chipped the top and knocked the air vent off.

I got some double sided tape to remount the vent cover and some touch up paint to hide the little chips.

My head is worth an ARIA helmet but not a new one.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
So, I'll give you two answers here:

What you SHOULD do is buy a NEW "bash bucket".

If I were in your situation, I would just glue the plastic piece back on, and fix it, and wear it. I know this isn't good, I know it isn't safe, and it doesn't fit the norm. I have no rational behind this.... Well, I don't like to wasteful, and my mind is screwed up.

You make the choice, and don't feel pressured to tell us what you decide :p

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
try going to the Manufacture's web site and email / call their tech advisor about the vent and see if they can send you a repair kit. They would know more than the dealership.

I would be surprised if you need to buy a new helmet just from a meter (was it on vinyl flooring or cement outside?)
But good excuse if you are looking to go shopping.
If you went down and scraped it or really banged it then for sure, buy a new one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Personally i wouldn't worry about it a bit. I agree with Spooph on this one. Fix the dang thing and wear it. A 4 foot fall won't hurt it. It's designed to save you from a crash a 100 mph. Whats a three foot drop gonna do to it? I used to wear the same Motocross helmet all the time and i have gone down with that thing so many times i'm surprised I'm not dead from trauma. But it's still in one piece. It has to pass rigorous inspections and everything. If safety is what you are worried about, you are fine. Just fix it and don't worry. Or heck put tape over the holes. Thats what i did.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
if it was me id buy a new one but i agree with felix it cant have done much damage...

my girlfriend almost dropped my helmet the other day..she went to get it while i was putting my jacket on and i heard "oooops", i asked her if she nearly dropped it she was like yeah. but she now knows how much its worth so sh wont do that again :p

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm with spooph and Aeros on this one. Patch it up and it'll be fine.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the advice, and you guys are right - the drop wasnt that far that it could have done anything too extreme to damage the helmet.
i just wanted your opinion also.

and Zartan, i didnt even think about a repair kit! thank you!! i went to their website and motorcycle superstore also offers the same thing, but a scorpion vent slider:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/69/3911/ITEM/Scorpion-Vent-Sliders.aspx

i honestly looked at this.. and have NO idea what part that is supposed to replace haha.
im gonna try contacting the scorpion people later on today.

thanks again guys!

oh and p.s.
when searching around, i came across a Gold Mirror visor..
im very tempted. ;)

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
T1 you will probably have to wait until Monday but give them a try....

Repair Service
Scorpion Sports offers special low-cost repairs or replacement parts to keep your helmet in excellent working condition. Please give us or your local dealer a call. Our warranty and repair department can be reached Pacific Coast business hours at 1-888-672-6774.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks zartan!
until monday then, i will repair ventilation damage with good ol'elmers glue :p
joke.
probably some tape for now tho

·
Registered
55 Posts
The "right" thing to do in this situation would be to ask yourself how much money you have to spare. If you're rich, then buy a new helmet. It's worth it as a precautionary measure, afterall your riches mean nothing if your brain splatters the pavement.

If you're not wealthy, then glue it back in and ride on! No harm no foul. Wait til that baby splits into two pieces before replacing it.
-Aleckor

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I doubt it will split in two from just dropping it on the floor at the height of 1 meter. She should check with the tech support. Not too many of us are Rich right now.. T! see what tech support has to say and enjoy the good weekend!!! WOOOTT we just went out for a couple of hours now off to roller Derby at the Key Arena. T1 should check it out it is a blast!!! Great sport and great skating. Not like the old style of big time wrestling in the 60's but true derby!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the # Zartan!! ^^
i just got off the phone with them, they're sending me the part free of charge..
is that normal?? they're not gonna charge me like $400 or something for shiping, right?..
i think paranoid legally like that.

but it should be here by the weekend.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well they said its supposed to break of pretty easily,
so in a real crash its more "natural" to they body and doesnt get in the way somehow..

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm sure they're not going to charge you with mass shipping. They probably just want to help out. Plus it's a pretty small piece. I love the scorpion helmets, super comfortable!

Zartan - you were in Seattle?! You should've let T1 and I know :D hahaha

·
Registered
84 Posts
hi guys today I have dropped my hjc helmet from the back seat of the bike. I pulled over on the side of the road and wanted to take a picture. Took off gloves and helmet and put it just like that on the rear seat. While I was messing with camera a truck passed by me and forced my helmet to go down :( because of the air flow that goes with that truck. my helmet went down on the pavement made a couple flips. I was so pissed off :( Nothing is broken just got few scratches on the visor and around... i have hjc helmet black where is the sentence "kawasaki"... so what you think ? I was reading that this is bad because it might get micro-cracks or something... but for now I cant buy new one so I'm going go keep on wearing that one. I hope its going to be all right ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts