Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So today I was doing about 60 in 5 gear and wanted to downshift to come to a red light but it seemed like the bike was revving as I was pulling the clutch in to downshift.

Is it because maybe I was in high rpms and the bike didn't want to downshift.

How can I ensure this doesn't happen again?

I didn't want to brake because I was on a local highway road.

I think this is one of my biggest challenges when stopping, the downshifting.

Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

· Registered
2,270 Posts
Candygirl said:
Hi everyone,

So today I was doing about 60 in 5 gear and wanted to downshift to come to a red light but it seemed like the bike was revving as I was pulling the clutch in to downshift.

Is it because maybe I was in high rpms and the bike didn't want to downshift.

How can I ensure this doesn't happen again?

I didn't want to brake because I was on a local highway road.

I think this is one of my biggest challenges when stopping, the downshifting.

Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.
Have you checked your normal idle speed ?also your clutch could be slipping ,or you might not of fully let go of the accelerator handle ?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Morgan46.

Now that you mention it I may have still been on the throttle but how do I know how to tell what my normal idle speed is?

Also where should I be at speed/rpm when downshifting to come to a complete stop?

I'm a newbie so still really struggling with this and sometimes even when to up shift.

Also today when downshifting to prepare for a turn I wound up in neutral in my turn.

I thought with the 2012 it would go right into 1st pass neutral.

· Registered
2,270 Posts
Candygirl said:
Thanks Morgan46.

Now that you mention it I may have still been on the throttle but how do I know how to tell what my normal idle speed is?

Also where should I be at speed/rpm when downshifting to come to a complete stop?

I'm a newbie so still really struggling with this and sometimes even when to up shift.

Also today when downshifting to prepare for a turn I wound up in neutral in my turn.

I thought with the 2012 it would go right into 1st pass neutral.
If its a pretty new bike everything is still wearing in so just be firmer with your foot on downshift,idle speed is what your bike revs at when in neutral should be around 1000-1200rpm if it's higher than that then it will keep your revs high when you pull the clutch in ,try blipping your throttle on downshifts too !

· Registered
8 Posts
I have had that before where I'll be clutch in coming to a stop, only to realize my hand is still rolling the throttle partially. But the most typical case is you were still on the throttle, because when I clutch in, they start dropping fast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.