Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please share your tips and the correct way to tackle downhill corners.

No problem in cornering uphill, but Im a little nervous going back because it's downhill.:facepalm:

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
it's no different from going uphill.... You're just more scared going downhill.... The only difference being that you're not using as much throttle. Keep in mind that while going through the corner you should keep your throttle constant, how ever far it's open, if you're going through the corner at an appropriate speed, the throttle should be constant, and only upon exit should you be opening the throttle.... Going downhill, you obviously have gravity helping you, instead of hindering you when going uphill, so brake earlier, and a little more, and keep your throttle constant as you do while going uphill....

Makes sense?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's no different from going uphill.... You're just more scared going downhill.... The only difference being that you're not using as much throttle. Keep in mind that while going through the corner you should keep your throttle constant, how ever far it's open, if you're going through the corner at an appropriate speed, the throttle should be constant, and only upon exit should you be opening the throttle.... Going downhill, you obviously have gravity helping you, instead of hindering you when going uphill, so brake earlier, and a little more, and keep your throttle constant as you do while going uphill....

Makes sense?
Thanks. Makes sense. Is there any particular gear that I should be on during downhill cornering? How about body positioning? Should I put more weight on the rear and stand my body alittle bit?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
lol, you need more experience, that's what... :p

Um, how tight is the corner? I've gone around hair-pins in 1st.. I've gone around sweepers pegged in 6th....

I tend to move my body back when I'm going downhill in an attempt to keep a little more weight off the front end....

But really, these are all things which you shouldn't be worrying about unless you're scraping pegs.... Learn to ride the bike to it's limits, then start futzing with you and going past those limits... :p

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi. I am new here, but have been riding cycles for about ten years. I have to say that I would be a DEAD MAN if not for David Hough's book... Proficient Motorcycling. In the book, one section is devoted to how throttle and brakes affect suspension, and how to make the best use of this information. I highly recommend this book to anyone who rides.

Have a Great Day!

Keep the shiny side up....

Switch

·
Registered
117 Posts
Please share your tips and the correct way to tackle downhill corners.

No problem in cornering uphill, but Im a little nervous going back because it's downhill.:facepalm:

Thanks.
Being able to be relax would be a step in the right direction. Not being so tense and rigid will help you focus more on what is going on. Once you become more confident you will relax more. The book mentioned earlier is an extremely helpful resource. It will help you understand all the inputs the bike receives from you and the road and how they effect the bike. I was lucky to have borrowed that book for an entire off-season. READ IT TWICE!!! ...lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.